Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Considering .45 caliber carry instead of 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Lool.

Look,if you want to switch from one caliber to the other go right ahead.Theres nothing wrong with it,and ultimately,if you have more confidence in the bigger caliber,and are able to handle the weapon well,thats all that counts.

Just don't think theres some huge advantage and that you are now armed with the most awesome man stopper ever created so you can now neglect more important things- like practice,practice,practice.

(and I also suggest learning a bit of human anatomy and terminal ballistics,but thats just me.....)

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Old 08-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #42

Liked 349 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Alex, see what happens when you ask a question here? Seriously, I've got both 9mm and .45acp and have carried both. These days, it's mostly the 9. Cheaper ammo means more range time which adds up to better proficiency. Just my $.02 you understand.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #43

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
Alex, see what happens when you ask a question here? .
It's being answered by people based on experience and personal opinion. Was that not the point of the asking?
Old 08-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #44

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderjason34
This is my first post in the forum and I would like to hear your opinion/personal experiences on carrying a subcompact .45 verses a compact 9mm like a Kahr cw9. I live in Northwest Indiana and we have had an increasing number of incidents where the victim has had to use lethal force to protect his or her life and or family. I carry a Kahr cw9 and a ruger lcp .380 as backup but I've been concerned about stopping power mostly just wanting to stop the threat in the minimal amount of force as possible. I'm a small framed guy and I have a hell of a time "concealing" my firearm. I've been looking at the kimber .45 carry pro for primary carry but have never shot one before. I'm looking for advice and knowledge and opinions about whether or not to upgrade to a .45 or keep my current cc setup, which is sometimes too "heavy" for me. Thanks and I look forward to discussion this with you guys!!
-Jason-
Welcome to the forum! I prefer lightweight nine to a .45. The small barreled .45's just have too much kick for me to have fast follow up shots ( I learned to not just shoot one shot, but to fire a rapid Burst of rounds if possible). Also, since you are smaller framed a .45 might just be too heavy. I'm not a small guy but a 20oz CCW guns is too much weight for me. As for stopping power, all defensive handgun rounds are underpowered, and if you can get good hits, you can put somebody down with just about any round. Sure a .45 makes a bigger hole, but if you can hit the vitals and find a gun to carry everyday, you shouldn't have stopping power problems.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #45

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think that its more of a personal preference than it is a body size issue. Im not that big of a person either, im 5'8 160lbs and i carry a fullsize 1911 everyday. Ive never complained about the weight and you cant even tell that im carrying it "even with shorts and a t shirt."

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 08-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #46

I carry a Springfield 1911 Factory Comp 45. with some work done to it. I love the way it shoots & is very accurate. But the reason I carry a 45 is that if I had to use it, I know that the assailant is going to go down and stay down.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #47

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Old 08-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #48

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymmonds
9mm has 91% one shot stop.
.45 ACP has 96% one shot stop.

Not much difference. So it's all in preference.

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/one.shot.stops.htm
I don't want to make anybody angry here, but I was taught to not shoot one round, but to dump lead at the threat until they are on the ground, dead. Sounds brutal, but I mean it is what it is.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #49

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Alot of people might disagree with me,too; but- I'm right there with ya Rusty.
The concept of the doubletap,sometimes pooh-poohed by certain circles,dates back to WW2 combatives and was taught by men the likes of Fairbairn and Applegate.
I have a book called "On Close Combat" where a British WW2 vet talks about the training he received and how he was taught to always shoot twice with the handgun.

This training went on to the early Mossad,IDF,and Haganah,organizations that were originally composed of Jews who had received training to fight by the British for service in the Jewish Brigade.

So I heartily agree with the idea that if someone is worth shooting,they're worth at least shooting twice.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 08-18-2012 at 06:04 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #50

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101

I don't want to make anybody angry here, but I was taught to not shoot one round, but to dump lead at the threat until they are on the ground, dead. Sounds brutal, but I mean it is what it is.
I agree exactly. That's why I carry a 9mm because it is a good round, and mine carries more rounds then my .45. I don't know how many it will take to put them down but I know how many I'm going to shoot.

The paragraphs under the graph explain how they came to the results. And even point you to a more detailed break down of the results for the rnds and type they used.

My main point is that 9mm is a good round, not saying .45 is a bad round. It's actually my favorite. Where the truth of the matter is that placement, precision, type, and in some cases luck are what make a rnd a "one shot stop". Then determining whether or not the assailant is doped up on drugs. There's actually a ton of possibilities for each rnd. Bringing it down to personal preference.