Considering .45 caliber carry instead of 9mm - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Considering .45 caliber carry instead of 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Geez,fanboys much?

Everyone who has ever been shot and killed with a handgun "less" then a .45acp can now get out of their graves- they were shot with an inferior caliber and are only dead in pretend.

Anyway..........

My only concern with the .45acp cartridge is that like .38 special in a snubby, from a shorter barrel it gives up alot.This is because the .45acp is a relatively lower pressure cartridge designed for 5" barrels.
In shorter barrels you'll see a greater loss of velocity then other calibers,and therefore a loss of kinetic energy and momentum necessary for the penetration that any caliber needs to do its job in order to reach vitals,irregardless of what size it is.

This is why I like .40 s&w so much.In my 3.25" barreled BMFS .40,I can launch a 180gr projectile 950-1000fps,while it takes a +P rating (and that means more chamber pressure which means more recoil in your compact pistol) for a 185gr .45acp projectile to come past 900fps from a similar sized barrel.

Not saying it won't do the job,but this is why I like .40 over .45 for guns with shorter barrels.

For the really small guns like KelTec P11/PF9 size,I think 9x19 is probably the most powerful round I'd want in such a gun.But thats personal preference.

Oh,and I'm really starting to come to the very unpopular opinion that modern hollowpoints are just as erratic in performance as their earlier model brethren when it comes to actual terminal performance in a human being.

The thing that makes pistol projectiles work is the penetration of vital structures and organs that are ultimately necessary to carry oxygenated blood to the brain.No matter what caliber your using or what whiz-bang boutique overpriced bullet; if your marksmanship comes up short of good placement and your projectile comes up short of penetration its not good.

So a compact, big bore handgun loaded with a +p round thats barely controllable for the user is not going to do as well as a combination featuring a smaller caliber and milder cartridge.

Of course,some folks are just more capable then others,so more bully for them.

But something to think about- keltec made the P11 design pistol in .40 and .357 sig for a limited time for a reason- that reason being that such a small gun was so uncontrollable for the majority of shooters that bought them that they were sent back in as being substandard guns,when in fact the guns themselves were fine- the shooters just couldn't handle them.
I think it takes a rare shooter indeed to make a .40 caliber gun the size of a P11 function well at all,let alone be as rapid and accurate as the 9mm P11.

Not all considerations for a defensive handgun should revolve around power or cartridge size.Sometimes,a compromise becomes a necessity,and I personally do not feel under gunned with my 9mm P11.

YMMV.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 08-17-2012 at 08:26 PM.
JTJ Likes This 
Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #22

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
I like it, especially the second one ;-)

Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #23

.45acp all the way

motivationalposter1.jpg

Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #24

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

III%
People Like This 
Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #25

100% effective

20120816_170917-1.jpg

Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #26

-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Old 08-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the main factor is to be able to shoot effectively and accurately. shoot the largest caliber you can do this with. the pistol make some difference also, as there are people who can control a larger caliber in a larger pistol but have trouble hitting accurately with the same caliber in a compact pistol.
KalashnikovJosh Likes This 
Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #28

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

9mm has 91% one shot stop.
.45 ACP has 96% one shot stop.

Not much difference. So it's all in preference.

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/one.shot.stops.htm

Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #29
hmh

Liked 181 Times on 123 Posts

If you can handle it carry it. There is a reason almost all swat, sf, or top tier le carry a .45 because my life isn't going to be the 4% difference. Personal experience someone on drugs can take numerous (7+) 9mm hits and keep going never had to shoot more than 2 with .45. I know shot placement but have a guy emptying an ak at you and see if you have time to think placement.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #30

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh
If you can handle it carry it. There is a reason almost all swat, sf, or top tier le carry a .45 because my life isn't going to be the 4% difference. Personal experience someone on drugs can take numerous (7+) 9mm hits and keep going never had to shoot more than 2 with .45. I know shot placement but have a guy emptying an ak at you and see if you have time to think placement.
Was it the same person that it happened to?