Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Considering .45 caliber carry instead of 9mm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/considering-45-caliber-carry-instead-9mm-70269/)

alexanderjason34 08-14-2012 02:12 AM

Considering .45 caliber carry instead of 9mm

This is my first post in the forum and I would like to hear your opinion/personal experiences on carrying a subcompact .45 verses a compact 9mm like a Kahr cw9. I live in Northwest Indiana and we have had an increasing number of incidents where the victim has had to use lethal force to protect his or her life and or family. I carry a Kahr cw9 and a ruger lcp .380 as backup but I've been concerned about stopping power mostly just wanting to stop the threat in the minimal amount of force as possible. I'm a small framed guy and I have a hell of a time "concealing" my firearm. I've been looking at the kimber .45 carry pro for primary carry but have never shot one before. I'm looking for advice and knowledge and opinions about whether or not to upgrade to a .45 or keep my current cc setup, which is sometimes too "heavy" for me. Thanks and I look forward to discussion this with you guys!!
-Jason-

Axxe55 08-14-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexanderjason34 (Post 902989)
This is my first post in the forum and I would like to hear your opinion/personal experiences on carrying a subcompact .45 verses a compact 9mm like a Kahr cw9. I live in Northwest Indiana and we have had an increasing number of incidences where the victim has had to use lethal force to protect his or her life and or family. I carry a Kahr cw9 and a ruger lcp .380 as backup but I've been concerned about stopping power mostly just wanting to stop the threat in the minimal amount of force as possible. I'm a small framed guy and I have a hell of a time "concealing" my firearm. I've been looking at the kimber .45 carry pro for primary carry but have never shot one before. I'm looking for advice and knowledge and opinions about whether
Or not to upgrade to a .45 or keep my current cc setup, which is sometimes to "heavy" for me. Thanks and I look forward to discussion this with you guys!!
-Jason-

question for you, have you ever shot a compact 45? if you can handle the recoil and are able to shoot it accurately, then yes, upgrade to a larger caliber. my suggestions has always been and will always be, carry the largest caliber you can shoot accurately. if you can't hit accurately with the 45 and can with the 9mm, then that's what you need to carry. remember shots hitting their target regardless of caliber is what matters. several hits with 9mm, trump a miss by a 45!

vincent 08-14-2012 02:35 AM

Welcome to the forum Jason!

Best advice I could give you is to see if a nearby range has any rentals. I/we can't tell you what YOU shoot best but...High(er) capacity vs. large(er) caliber is a personal decision, what YOU perform best with is what you want to depend on...

Concealment won't be a problem with the right gun and the right setup, lots of "smaller" guys carry full size guns very easily and lots of choices in a SC .45 Of course, it takes time to get accustomed to anything new...:cool:

Personally, I favor the .45 but for the simple reason that's what I shoot best. Now the 'caliber war' conversation is a whole different topic but it still boils down to what YOU shoot most accurately.

Kimbers are cool but don't overlook a Colt Commander or possibly a Springfield...either in 1911 or the new single stack XDS...('dem Springers iz niiiice!!! ;) )

My EDC is a G-30...(ducks incoming rotten fruit and beer cans being flung from the peanut gallery...:p)...and it works very well for me...:cool:

Axxe55 08-14-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 903026)
Welcome to the forum Jason!

Best advice I could give you is to see if a nearby range has any rentals. I/we can't tell you what YOU shoot best but...High(er) capacity vs. large(er) caliber is a personal decision, what YOU perform best with is what you want to depend on...

Concealment won't be a problem with the right gun and the right setup, lots of "smaller" guys carry full size guns very easily and lots of choices in a SC .45 Of course, it takes time to get accustomed to anything new...:cool:

Personally, I favor the .45 but for the simple reason that's what I shoot best. Now the 'caliber war' conversation is a whole different topic but it still boils down to what YOU shoot most accurately.

Kimbers are cool but don't overlook a Colt Commander or possibly a Springfield...either in 1911 or the new single stack XDS...('dem Springers iz niiiice!!! ;) )

My EDC is a G-30...(ducks incoming rotten fruit and beer cans being flung from the peanut gallery...:p)...and it works very well for me...:cool:

i'm throwing rotten tomatoes at you right now! :eek::D jk with you Vincent!:D

kytowboater 08-14-2012 02:39 AM

Axxe said it all in his post. Try it out before you drop the money on one. They can be a handful for some people.

bige91603 08-14-2012 02:46 AM

Size and weight are going to be your main issues. If you have a hard time carrying and concealing a polymer 9mm compact you will for sure have a horrible time will a .45 1911 platform. They're a bit heavier than a kahr cw9 and a tad bigger as well. See if a friend has one or make friends with someone who does that will let you try it out so you can get a better feel for it

vincent 08-14-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 903030)
i'm throwing rotten tomatoes at you right now! :eek::D jk with you Vincent!:D

You seem to type what I think before I can type it, and then you say it better than I can...ya bastid!!! :D

c3shooter 08-14-2012 04:09 AM

I have a ParaOrdnance C7/45. VERY compact 45 ACP, and meets my first test for EDC- reliability. And I shoot it very well. Drawback? Heavier than a mortgage.

MarkAD 08-14-2012 05:09 AM

45 is a good choice. A 3 inch is a good choice for CC. I would offer you mine to test but your on the wrong side of the rockies. The recoil is not much more then a 5 inch. and oddly enough I shoot mine better then a 5 inchm and it is a blast to carry. Borrowm rent, beg. but get one and run it. The only downside is messing with the bull barrel. But it is a small issue.
Congrats on desiring to carry a manly caliber.

danf_fl 08-14-2012 12:53 PM

Try what you can before you buy.

I have an Ed Brown Kobra Carry (.45), a DW C-BOB (in 10mm), a S&W Mdl 12 (.38Spl), Kel-Tec P3AT (.380), PPK/s (.380 and .22) that I use for carry.

Situations require different equipment and I use what I think is appropriate for the task coming up.

Like shoes that 1 pair does not fit all needs, so goes the SD firearm.