Confidence when carrying full-size .45 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Confidence when carrying full-size .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post

'Common'??? If you are saying burglary is more prevalent than robbery you are correct. But what does this have to do with CC or OC????? It is more 'common' for a criminal to take valuable items they can see rather than valuable items they can't see!
Since you can't seem to connect the dots without getting all upset, let me do it for you: your scenario is so rare, that your point is nearly moot. You are much more likely to have your guns stolen from your home, than while you are open carrying. THAT'S what it has to do with it. I don't see anyone else having a problem putting those two together.

But to agree with two of your points, none of this has anything to do with the OPs opening statement. And, I agree, shot placement is much more important than caliber size.

We're all on the same side here after all.

Last edited by Nebraska12; 08-23-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2438 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Once you hit 9mm and above when carrying modern hollowpoint rounds, shot placement and the ability to place those shots down range with the least amount of recovery time between each squeeze of the trigger is the key. If you can do that with a .45 more power to you!

image-3831411139.jpg
(Image found here:
http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#Why%20not%20M193/M855)

There's not a huge difference. A handgun is going to poke holes in a threat. The more holes poked the faster the threat stops. The only 100% guarantee for an instant stop to the threat is a shot to the brain or spinal cord. Anything else and the threat has the potential to continue fighting until they've completely bled out and their body shuts down. True 1 shot "stopping power" doesn't start happening until you move up to rifle calibers.

But I do love to shoot me some .45! It feels like a hand cannon!

Edit: P.S. As far as open carry is concerned, if you're gonna do it, at least get a level 3 retention holster and some weapons retention classes so you don't get knocked out and shot with your own gun. The presence of an openly carried gun can deter crime and probably will more often than not. But it can also make you the victim if you end up dealing with a determined and well trained or just plumb lucky criminal.

If you don't have weapons retention training and a level 3 holster, probably better to tuck it under your shirt.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 08-23-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #43

Liked 113 Times on 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Once you hit 9mm and above when carrying modern hollowpoint rounds, shot placement and the ability to place those shots down range with the least amount of recovery time between each squeeze of the trigger is the key. If you can do that with a .45 more power to you!

(Image found here:
http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#Why%20not%20M193/M855)

There's not a huge difference. A handgun is going to poke holes in a threat. The more holes poked the faster the threat stops. The only 100% guarantee for an instant stop to the threat is a shot to the brain or spinal cord. Anything else and the threat has the potential to continue fighting until they've completely bled out and their body shuts down. True 1 shot "stopping power" doesn't start happening until you move up to rifle calibers.

But I do love to shoot me some .45! It feels like a hand cannon!

Edit: P.S. As far as open carry is concerned, if you're gonna do it, at least get a level 3 retention holster and some weapons retention classes so you don't get knocked out and shot with your own gun. The presence of an openly carried gun can deter crime and probably will more often than not. But it can also make you the victim if you end up dealing with a determined and well trained or just plumb lucky criminal.

If you don't have weapons retention training and a level 3 holster, probably better to tuck it under your shirt.
Good points here. Wow that .357 sig does some real damage. Wish I didn't sell mine.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #44

Liked 113 Times on 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post

JJ, if you choose to carry a full size .45, can conceal it and deal with lugging all that weight around all day, go for it. I found CC'ing my 1911 was a whole different ball game from the GI flap holster and pistol belt I carried with in the Army. The 1911's still my first love, but I rarely CC it any more.
Yeah carrying bigger heavier guns doesn't bother me anymore as im use to it. Its all about your system of carry. When temps go above the 90's tho I do prefer a light weight glock 23 loaded with only 10 rounds. Over the years I've carried every way possible and have all kinds of rigs. Now I just grab and go, lol