Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealment in a hotel room

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for everyone's advice! I'll do some more research when I get the chance.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #12

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I stayed in a hotel in vivian louisiana working on pipelines, had a huge problem with housekeeping stealing my beer out of the mini fridge

Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #13

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I stayed in a hotel in vivian louisiana working on pipelines, had a huge problem with housekeeping stealing my beer out of the mini fridge
Damned house keeping, ive never trust them no matter how fancey the hotel is.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #14

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Damned house keeping, ive never trust them no matter how fancey the hotel is.
Very true. I don't trust the closet safes 100% either

Old 11-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #15

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I live in Vegas and occassionally stay in a room. You'd have to be dumb to leave your firearm in a hotel parking lot. Far more likely to get stolen from your car anyhow. Bring it in, dont advertise, PROFIT. Seriously though, if anyone knows you have it, that means it saved your life and for me I'll deal with the possible consequences ALIVE.

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 11-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #16

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Get a door alarm in case someone tries to sneak in while you are sleeping. You dont know how many keys are out there and who has them.
That's not an issue for any hotel that has electronic locksets with key cards. The key is reprogrammed for every new guest and the lockset in reprogrammed by the newly programmed key the first time the key is inserted. An old key will no longer work.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1650 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
That's not an issue for any hotel that has electronic locksets with key cards. The key is reprogrammed for every new guest and the lockset in reprogrammed by the newly programmed key the first time the key is inserted. An old key will no longer work.
There are master pass cards for the hotel employees. The maids, maintenance and security all have them.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #18

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I almost always have a pistol with me in a hotel room. My wife was against it for a long time until we had a guy banging on the door in NM one time and noticed that the security bar was missing from that room. Might have been known to the big guy outside, might not, but I was glad I got my 6 year old stopped before he just opened up like he would at home.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Maybe or maybe not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
True, but the hotel operator has the authority to enter the room at any time...it's their property, after all. Doubtful that anyone would do it without probable cause to do so, however.
I always double lock my hotel door and I really don't think a hotel/motel manager will be knocking at your door asking you if there is a firearm in the room. Because you don't have a CC Permit, the thing I would worry about is what happens to you if you have to defend yourself inside the room and you kill someone with the gun. Will you be prosecuted for having an illegal firearm? I think this is something you need to research if you are that concerned.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #20

Liked 1060 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 266

What can be a sticky legal issue in some states is the process of moving your pistol from the car to the hotel room without a concealed weapons permit. Where it may be fine in the car, and fine in the room, you could be charged for carrying from the car to the room. I know it sounds silly, but that issue has arisen in Florida concerning condos. Where it would not be an issue at home, where you are on your own property from the car to the house, it can be a problem in a public space.

Personally, I would be discrete and not worry about it. While in the room I would leave the gun locked in my baggage where there would be evidence of a burgulary if you gun went missing.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan