Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Concealment in a hotel room (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/concealment-hotel-room-50925/)

Malan35 10-31-2011 04:51 PM

Concealment in a hotel room

I have a quick question for you guys. I'm going on a road trip in a few weeks and don't yet have my concealed weapons permit and understand the laws regarding me keeping a gun in my car. But I will be staying in a motel in a not so great area and was wondering if it was legal for me to possess a firearm in the hotel room. Maybe an extension of your home kind of thing? Let me know what you guys think.

ahole 10-31-2011 05:00 PM

I dont know about you but i always have a nice IMI Jericho with me. I have had some issues before in slum rooms when on the road working. better safe than sorry. As long as you dont go around advertising that your packing you should not have any issues from LE

Malan35 10-31-2011 05:03 PM

Its a small town and I will only be spending 3-4 hours in the room sleeping. So thats what I was thinking. Rest of the time I will be out on the trails!

ahole 10-31-2011 05:07 PM

hell small towns you normally dont have **** to worry about unless you piss off one of there two officers. I personally prefer small towns ppl are normally nicer there

Malan35 10-31-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahole
hell small towns you normally dont have **** to worry about unless you piss off one of there two officers. I personally prefer small towns ppl are normally nicer there

You can say that again

c3shooter 10-31-2011 05:37 PM

Legality depends ENTIRELY on where the small town is located-

You did not tell us that- and my crystal ball is in the shop for an oil change.

In GENERAL- a hotel room is considered your residence, but if you are asking us for legal advice, we are just as qualified to perform open heart surgery!

lonyaeger 10-31-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 615945)

In GENERAL- a hotel room is considered your residence,

True, but the hotel operator has the authority to enter the room at any time...it's their property, after all. Doubtful that anyone would do it without probable cause to do so, however.

utf59 10-31-2011 05:55 PM

You'll need to read up on the laws wherever you are.

Personally, when I use a hotel, I keep a lockbox in a drawer in the room for my gun (if I'm not wearing it) and any other valuables. That isn't proof against a real thief, but it's enough to keep the cleaning crew honest.

Many hotels have small safes in their rooms. I don't mind using those as long as they are the kind where I can set the combination myself.

JTJ 10-31-2011 07:36 PM

Get a door alarm in case someone tries to sneak in while you are sleeping. You dont know how many keys are out there and who has them.

PanBaccha 10-31-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malan35 (Post 615903)
I have a quick question for you guys. I'm going on a road trip in a few weeks and don't yet have my concealed weapons permit and understand the laws regarding me keeping a gun in my car. But I will be staying in a motel in a not so great area and was wondering if it was legal for me to possess a firearm in the hotel room. Maybe an extension of your home kind of thing? Let me know what you guys think.

Common sense should prevail here.
Laws, ordinances, policies ... are not immutable.
Personal safety is.
I'd take that firearm with me.
Life is very important here.