Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > concealed vs open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 04:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default concealed vs open carry

I don't have a cwp here in Florida (yet)...but I'm not sure I know the diff between concealed and open carry. Without a cwp, can I put a holster on my hip and carry around my Pistol? If I don't hide it?

I almost always bring my pistol to the boat and I'm usually carrying a ton of stuff with me. Can I carry on my hip?

Built AR-15, 5.56 & .300 AAC Blackout tops
Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Tactical Shotgun
Remington 1100 Shotgun
Crosman 760 pump gun <smirk>
M1 Garand .30-06
M1903 Springfield Sporter .30-06
Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact 9mm
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8392 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

The difference between concealed and open carry? Seriously?

As I read the law, no, you cannot "open carry" in Florida. That IS "putting a holster on your hip". See the link below- it IS permited under some circumstances.

They were trying to revise the law in Florida this year, but I think the open carry provision failed, was not made into law. Get your concealed permit.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In Florida, Open Carry is lawful while engaged in, or going directly to and from, lawful Target Shooting, Hunting, Fishing, and Camping expeditions. For all Florida gun laws google Florida firearm statutes.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #4

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

I would go for open carry over concealed unless I am around a large group of people. I cannot do this in my home state.

I am absolutely not sure about Florida states law, but whenever you do open carry in a state in which does.. Be prepared for a "Man with a gun" call.

Things can get real ugly. You have to understand the law completely. It is merely a profession you must master but expect horrible reactions and be prepared for.

You must understand how to comply with police in your home state, and understand your rights.

Again, be prepared for gun point, won't happen today, but could happen tomorrow. BAD reaction.

There are a few differences between conceal, and open carry. In some cities/states there are licenses and permits.

ie, you need a License to Carry Firearms to open, and concealable carry in Philadelphia, but a LTCF to conceal carry in Pennsylvania; hence, open carry is strictly legal for open carry in PA without a license or permit.

If you're carrying a holstered weapon that is not "open" from the pants, or leg.. That would be concealed. Why? - because nobody can see it.

If you are holstering your firearm in a holster in such the opposite, it will be open. Even though it is holstered.

Laws may apply, always read up on them, stay safe and god bless

Zoey,

Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #5

Likes Given: 4

Excellent data... thank you all so much! I guess I could argue that "A camping expedition could be construed as heading out to my boat...but maybe I'll keep her in her case until I get my CWP. I don't know if I care for that "Man with a gun" incident.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCooper View Post
Excellent data... thank you all so much! I guess I could argue that "A camping expedition could be construed as heading out to my boat...but maybe I'll keep her in her case until I get my CWP. I don't know if I care for that "Man with a gun" incident.
It happens even in states where it is totally legal like herein wisconsin. More than a few folks have been harrassed in cities like milwaukee and madison but earned a lot of money suing the liberals after the arrest.

In states like florida where there are strict rules on when and where lawsuits on arresting agencies violating the second ammendment almost never succeed.

Just dont expect help from the aclu in a civil liberty suit unless you were trying to perform a perverted sex act with a gun.... heh

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-12-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The difference between concealed and open carry? Seriously?

As I read the law, no, you cannot "open carry" in Florida. That IS "putting a holster on your hip". See the link below- it IS permited under some circumstances.

They were trying to revise the law in Florida this year, but I think the open carry provision failed, was not made into law. Get your concealed permit.

Succinctly put! Couldn't have cleared it up any better.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The open carry provision got watered down. What passed was some language that is supposed to make it legal if you accidentally expose your concealed carry gun momentarily. So if you're wearing it under a cover garment and reach for something on a high shelf at the grocery store, you haven't committed a crime. Though you might still expect a visit from store security and a chat with a police officer.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs