Concealed or Open Carry and when - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed or Open Carry and when

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #31
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1846 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 2051

Sure would be nice to be able to state that I OC without having to read trash implying any or all of the following:
1. Anyone who OCs in general public is a fool / idiot / just plain stupid.
2. Anyone who OCs in general public is the next target (and thank God it'll be him and not me).
3. Anyone who OCs in general public doesn't understand the consequences.
4. Anyone who OCs in general public is trying to make up for some anatomical shortcoming.
5. Anyone who OCs in general public is trying to scare people.
6. Anyone who OCs in general public is trying to prove some political point.

I could go on, but why bother, y'all OC-haters will finish the job anyway.

Blanket statements like these (or lengthy harangues designed to imply them) suffer from one common trait: they're all generalizations. Generalizations are frequently wrong. These generalization in particular are wrong. Because if they were true in all cases, they would be true about me. And they are not true about me.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

People Like This 
Old 05-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #32

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post

You are going of topic I am replying to the bellow post and giving my opinion note the word (opinion) in the bellow post. You are dragging in another thread that was locked.

On July 1 Mississippi becomes and open carry state. so before then I am trying to decide when I will carry concealed and when openly. Here is one opinion

http://www.mississippigunnews.com/open-carry-in-mississippi-after-july-first-one-mans-personal-policy/

I was wondering if others who have the (option) have determined when is best to carry concealed and when open?
Hunting, hiking, camping, outside of town i will oc, if im in seattle or tacoma or near a sizable group of libteolls i cc as i usually dont have time to waste on their stupidity. Nice thing about oc is that i dont have to worry about "printing" or "flashing". It is a legally protected right, and as such should be exercised, with discretion.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Whoaaaaa, were really on the same team folks.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #34

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
It can draw attention in the wrong places at the wrong times, like that idiot I read about it in news who tried to OC TWO damn handguns and a rifle into a movie theater right after the Aurora Colorado shooting. Imbecile. Complete imbecile.

But as far as it making you a target, that's a damn myth I'm doing my dead level best to **** all over.
Quote:
In your opinion.
Quote:
You are going of topic I am replying to the bellow post and giving my opinion note the word (opinion) in the bellow post. You are dragging in another thread that was locked.

On July 1 Mississippi becomes and open carry state. so before then I am trying to decide when I will carry concealed and when openly. Here is one opinion

http://www.mississippigunnews.com/open-carry-in-mississippi-after-july-first-one-mans-personal-policy/

I was wondering if others who have the (option) have determined when is best to carry concealed and when open?
The conversation was on topic, until you engaged in conversation that drove it back to the topic we've discussed in the past. Now you want to push it back on topic when you can't (yet again) support your claims? Fine.

OP, as I've mentioned, and as have others, there is a time and place for open carry and concealed. Truth is, many people are afraid of guns, even in my home state, the Great State of Mississippi.

It's generally regarded that a lot of people like to avoid dense population centers, of which there aren't all that many in Mississippi, and even in those, many people are fairly open to guns.

This may be a trial and error scenario. See where you get funny looks, see where people are more likely to call the police with a "man with a gun" call. Or you may choose to avoid the situation entirely and conceal all the time.

From what I've seen, there doesn't appear to be any real evidence that OC puts you at a higher risk of attack, as many like to believe. The guy in the article you linked, talked as if carrying a gun was like carrying the cure for AIDS or a briefcase full of gold bullion. While yes, everyone should maintain situational awareness at all times, unarmed or armed, concealed on open, it's not been proven that you have to become full on paranoid and not let anyone get within 5', or maintain a certain amount of clearance between yourself and possible avenues of approach. In short, you don't have to behave like a pretty boy in a prison shower trying to be on guard against aggressors.

There is no "wrong" place to carry openly (except where statutes dictate, I'll see if I can find the other article posted up by orangello that lays out some of the laws regarding it). But there are times where it would be a little more prudent to carry concealed to avoid alarming citizens and leading to a confrontation with police. Alas, having been in every major "city" of Mississippi, I really can't imagine it would be that much of an issue, only a slightly stronger possibility in some places than in others. Pascagoula, and Southaven come to mind. The local populace may be slightly more alarmed by the sight of someone open carrying than in some other places. But even still, your article's writer should not have a need to feel like a paranoid super secret agent spy or something, flitting about from shadow to shadow, watching and on guard for anyone to accost him, even puppies, always feeling crosshairs on his back...
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Sure would be nice to be able to state that I OC without having to read trash implying any or all of the following:
1. Anyone who OCs in general public is a fool / idiot / just plain stupid.
2. Anyone who OCs in general public is the next target (and thank God it'll be him and not me).
3. Anyone who OCs in general public doesn't understand the consequences.
4. Anyone who OCs in general public is trying to make up for some anatomical shortcoming.
5. Anyone who OCs in general public is trying to scare people.
6. Anyone who OCs in general public is trying to prove some political point.

Blanket statements like these (or lengthy harangues designed to imply them) suffer from one common trait: they're all generalizations. Generalizations are frequently wrong. These generalization in particular are wrong. Because if they were true in all cases, they would be true about me. And they are not true about me.
Amen. Thank you.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 395 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Why do you open carry if you can carry concealed.

Quote:
I've had a few people ask me what kind of gun I was carrying. None of them seemed nervous about it.
Would the reaction not vary depending on what state you are in.

Last edited by manta; 05-19-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #37

OP, there are a number of other threads on open carry. If you have the patience to wade through the irrelevant garbage you can find some useful information there. The general opinion seems to be that CC is usually more prudent than OC. If you are able to deploy your gun in a reasonably short time from its concealed location, CC is probably better most of the time.

I have tried a number of times to teach myself how to clear a tucked in shirt and have failed. Until I find a holster and some shirts that enable me to conceal and still deploy the gun in 2-3 seconds reliably, I will continue to OC. Oklahoma had CC for several years and just passed OC March 2012. That OC law went into effect Nov 2012 to enable LEOs to develop proper procedures for handling transactions with OC public. I have OCd ever since then. I have never gotten a glance from a LEO, never been the subject of a "man with a gun" call. I've had a few people ask me what kind of gun I was carrying. None of them seemed nervous about it.

I think the biggest obstacle I had to overcome with OC was my expectation of how the general public would react. Once I got over that, I found it's mostly a non-event.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Amen. Thank you.
Just a suggestion Trip, but you might want to look into the Ignore List feature of this forum. It could save your blood pressure a few spikes!

Balota

Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Why do you open carry if you can carry concealed.
He's laid it out before, with several factors. But I would also like to see a comprehensive list of reasoning again.

Simple for me. Can't afford a CC permit, OC is legal in my location, and the local population is friendly towards it. Kind of a "why wouldn't you" situation for me.

What say you, Balota? I've seen several of your posts regarding your reasonings, but I'm not sure I have them all.

ETA: nevermind, looks covered

Old 05-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Just a suggestion Trip, but you might want to look into the Ignore List feature of this forum. It could save your blood pressure a few spikes!
As little "real" exercise as I get, I could use the cardio.

Closed Thread