Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   concealed holsters (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/concealed-holsters-50131/)

smokehouse 10-19-2011 12:02 PM

concealed holsters

I need a good holster for a S&W MP9, for concealed carry. I don't like wearing a belt. Any suggestions?

crackshot 10-19-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokehouse (Post 604928)
I need a good holster for a S&W MP9, for concealed carry. I don't like wearing a belt. Any suggestions?

Make your own from kydex. All you need is an oven, a 12x12 piece of .93 kydex (thinner is ok but feels a bit flimsy), a plastic bag (2 gal ziplock freezer bag) a vacuum, some tape, an old piece of sheet to wrap around the kydex before it goes into the bag (protect from melting) and a dremel tool. Follow the steps in this video. Easy! And a nice holster for under $30 custom fit to your weapon.

Custom Made Kydex Holster

I also have a Galco IWB holster that's very nice ($35.00!) for my P250 .40

utf59 10-19-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

If you aren't going to wear a belt, you have essentially ruled out any holster on your waist as a way to effectively carry your gun. The best on-waist holster in the world can't make up for a lousy (or non-existent) belt.

My next suggestion for a full-size pistol would be a shoulder holster.

PanBaccha 10-19-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

I have several holsters but it wasn't until the day before
yesterday when I decided, because I live in sunny Florida
and wear beltless shorts, to get for my 45 and my .380
two Remora holsters. Man, oh man! Am I glad I got them.
You can position the holsters anywhere and they will stay
in place. Jump up and down and still they will stay in place.
Couldn't be happier where holsters are concerned.

http://youtu.be/PqlS95D8SNc

levelcross 10-19-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackshot (Post 604955)
Make your own from kydex. All you need is an oven, a 12x12 piece of .93 kydex (thinner is ok but feels a bit flimsy), a plastic bag (2 gal ziplock freezer bag) a vacuum, some tape, an old piece of sheet to wrap around the kydex before it goes into the bag (protect from melting) and a dremel tool. Follow the steps in this video. Easy! And a nice holster for under $30 custom fit to your weapon.

Custom Made Kydex Holster

I also have a Galco IWB holster that's very nice ($35.00!) for my P250 .40

Pretty good video, the only problem with the all Kydex holsters is they have a habit of cracking in the extreme bends for the belt/pants loop during the winter months. The thicker Kydex does slow this down some.

I use horse hide for the body side and only use Kydex on the outside of the gun. The horse hide is a lot more comfortable against your body during the summer months when a undershirt is not an option, I also leave more material for a body shield against the slide of the pistol.

You can build one of these for around $40-45 depending on the fasteners used, how nice of a piece of horse hide and how many you are planning on building. Just remember if it is not quite what you want the first time, all you have to do is reheat the kydex and form it again. Pay attention to the trigger guard as this is where most of the retention comes in and front sight to eliminate snagging during draws. You can also form an extra mag pouch or two at the same time.

IGETEVEN 10-19-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanBaccha (Post 605062)
I have several holsters but it wasn't until the day before
yesterday when I decided, because I live in sunny Florida
and wear beltless shorts, to get for my 45 and my .380
two Remora holsters. Man, oh man! Am I glad I got them.
You can position the holsters anywhere and they will stay
in place. Jump up and down and still they will stay in place.
Couldn't be happier where holsters are concerned.

Remora IWB Holster Review - YouTube

+1 on the Remora holsters. :cool:

truevil1313 10-19-2011 07:07 PM

It is just my opinion, but I realy like crossbreed. I have one supertuck for my Glocks, one for my Kimber, and I just ordered a minituck for my P238. I would recomend wearing a belt though, it does help to distibute the weight and keep the holster in place.

gollygee 10-19-2011 09:14 PM

I second the motion for a good belt. A good belt can make a so-so holster feel good & no belt or a so-so belt can make a great holster feel bad.

MrWray 10-19-2011 09:25 PM

I have had a 5.11 TDU belt for a few years and its the best CC belt i have ever owned..not expensive either. Worth every penny

bryanflowers 10-19-2011 10:06 PM

I highly recommend a belt from The Beltman. They are Awesome!!! Makes carrying any size gun easy.