Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed Carry vs Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I guess I may be the only one on this thread who Oc's, well I do both...at the same time most of the time. I OC because I look at it this way. One, its more comfortable by a long shot. Two, I can. Three, i believe that if someone who sees me carrying is less likely to execute their plan. Some ppl think that makes you MORE of a target, but I think that gives the BG to much credit. Remember is school, you get pissed off and try to fight...until you knew you wouldn't win. You don't fight a losing battle. I do CC a backup pocket pistol every day and I do CC when I need too. Alabama is a OC state, and I take full advantage of it. I enjoy the educational opportunities it brings. When someone acts uncomfortable then I take the time to educate them about law abiding citizens who choose to protect themselves.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989

It was a post i made earlier about a knife wielder vs a gunman and which one is the bigger threat. alot of good advice here and many different opinions. After talking to a Sheriff deputy here in toledo i decided to hold off till i get my CCW. The sheriff said legaly we cannot stop you from carrying openly but many officers including local PD will tend to be more suspicious of you for carrying a firearm localy. He also said i would be stopped frequently and questioned as to the purpose of me carrying my gun openly. So after that little tid bit of info i decided against it. I want to thank all you for voicing your opinions and for your advice it was helpful.
Stand up man. Know your constitutional right and don't be afraid of a cop. They are no different then us, they just get paid to carry openly. I have cops stop me every now and then, but most just go about their business. If you act suspicious then they will treat you that way. Carry confidently and practice SA. I'm not one to not do something just because a cop says so. That's just me. Respectfully I say learn your rights and don't let anyone take them from you.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 890 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989 View Post
Yes i know this is a well discussed topic but i wanted some opinions. I do intend on getting a concealed carry permit. But i am considering open carry for a short time. My state allows open carry but i have heard some horror stories of Police Harassment. So what are your guy's and gals thoughts?

Whatever floats your boat, bro. If OC is legal where you are, and you feel the need to let your free flag fly, go for it. And let us know how it turns out.

War to the knife; the knife to the hilt

Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #64

Liked 86 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALfiremedic1 View Post
I guess I may be the only one on this thread who Oc's, well I do both...at the same time most of the time. I OC because I look at it this way. One, its more comfortable by a long shot. Two, I can. Three, i believe that if someone who sees me carrying is less likely to execute their plan. Some ppl think that makes you MORE of a target, but I think that gives the BG to much credit. Remember is school, you get pissed off and try to fight...until you knew you wouldn't win. You don't fight a losing battle. I do CC a backup pocket pistol every day and I do CC when I need too. Alabama is a OC state, and I take full advantage of it. I enjoy the educational opportunities it brings. When someone acts uncomfortable then I take the time to educate them about law abiding citizens who choose to protect themselves.
I too oc as well as cc. Depends on the circumstances, such as where i am and whether or not i have time for the inconvenience and hassle of being stopped.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton

I too oc as well as cc. Depends on the circumstances, such as where i am and whether or not i have time for the inconvenience and hassle of being stopped.
That's usually what I do. Our state laws say that if a business owner asks you to leave you must. If I have my kids, I CC because I don't want to be asked to leave a fun place and had them be disappointed. Church I CC. It just depends on where I'm going.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #66
Texas Ranger Fan!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16811 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43867

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989 View Post
It was a post i made earlier about a knife wielder vs a gunman and which one is the bigger threat. alot of good advice here and many different opinions. After talking to a Sheriff deputy here in toledo i decided to hold off till i get my CCW. The sheriff said legaly we cannot stop you from carrying openly but many officers including local PD will tend to be more suspicious of you for carrying a firearm localy. He also said i would be stopped frequently and questioned as to the purpose of me carrying my gun openly. So after that little tid bit of info i decided against it. I want to thank all you for voicing your opinions and for your advice it was helpful.
most LE agencies use the 21 foot rule in regards to weapons other than firearms. this is based on how far the assailant can move before you get a shot off.

so IMO, facing two attackers, one with a gun and much farther away and one with a knife at 21 feet or less would be my first target.

forget about the nonsense of carrying a knife to a gunfight, because even when armed with a pistol against an attacker with just a knife, they can still inflict some very bad wounds, even possibly deadly.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 898 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 1250

You should consider what is the general trend in the area where you live and frequent. If there are a lot of people open carrying, and you feel comfortable so doing, the have at it. But if you'd stick out and attract unwanted attention, then keep it concealed. For some of the people you encounter, it wouldn't matter. But there are some people who'd feel threatened, or would be just plain PO'd. Let your environment be your guide.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #68

Liked 179 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
You should consider what is the general trend in the area where you live and frequent. If there are a lot of people open carrying, and you feel comfortable so doing, the have at it. But if you'd stick out and attract unwanted attention, then keep it concealed. For some of the people you encounter, it wouldn't matter. But there are some people who'd feel threatened, or would be just plain PO'd. Let your environment be your guide.
My home town people ask what I'm carrying. When I head up state to my grandparents, I get asked to leave gas stations and such lol. Completely different areas

Old 07-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #69

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So they're are several people here who open carry? And those are okay with it?

My buddy carries his gun on his hip. He takes it off and locks it in the safe at work if he doesn't leave it locked in his car. We had to sign something agreeing not to carry on the job or on a city owned property or ride. He says he's had no problem with it. And not many people around here carry one openly.

I guess most folks here think beard+ gun+ openly praying at lunch= duck commander. He's been asked for his autograph by people not from around here.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #70

Liked 179 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1Monster
So they're are several people here who open carry? And those are okay with it?

My buddy carries his gun on his hip. He takes it off and locks it in the safe at work if he doesn't leave it locked in his car. We had to sign something agreeing not to carry on the job or on a city owned property or ride. He says he's had no problem with it. And not many people around here carry one openly.

I guess most folks here think beard+ gun+ openly praying at lunch= duck commander. He's been asked for his autograph by people not from around here.
Open carry everyday everywhere I go