Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed carry rigs and my concerns at work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika View Post
I'll agree that this is something I would get out of it, I don't feel it really out weighs the costs at this time. In the near future I will look into it, but for now I'll wait.

An enhanced permit allows you to carry into places you normally wouldn't be able to.
I think it would very wise of you to pay just a little more attention to some of the well meaning and wise suggestions others like Axxe55 have offered you. You're giving the martial arts a little too much credit in helping you with things that it has no relation to whatsoever.

I've been around a number of martial artists for much of my adult life, which included a couple that have appeared in the movies, though not being seriously involved myself. My son who's a police officer has been a black belt in Taiso Bu Jitsu since he was 17 and has been involved for well over 20 years in the martial arts. On his job he's been called on a number of times to restrain individuals when a number of police officers weren't able to. He even belonged to the Genbukan and trained with Shoto Tanemura of Japan in the art of ninjutsu. He's even participated in a number of commercial martial arts videos. I can tell you he would rather depend on his weapon in most situations and does have allot of knowledge about it's use where the law is concerned. Even Steven Seagal won't give up carrying his 1911 and I assure you he is well educated where use of his weapon is concerned in the eyes of the law.

Benjamin Franklin had a proverb in Poor Richard's Alminac that said "knowledge is power". Saving money by not having proper training in the use of your weapon may cost you dearly in the future. You just can't explain away a bad mistake with the use of your gun with martial arts. We all should dedicate ourselves to use our common sense to gain as much knowledge where our guns are concerned and that's not an argument that anti gunners use.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 09-15-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #32

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I'm not saying that you are a danger to yourself, your family, and small animals if you do not take a concealed carry class. What I am saying and what many of this forum are saying, is there is a minimum threshold of training that you should that all who carry on a regular basis should avail themselves of if available.

Something else to keep in mind... I have been active on this forum for over three years. You are the first person I can remember who objected to more training.

I have been a firearms owner for 18 years. I have taken many classes. Earlier this spring, I took another NRA basic pistol class with my wife. I always learn something new no matter how many times I've been through the material. Every time I reach in my pocket and feel my pistol, I am reminded that I am carrying life and death in my hands. That thought is sobering to me, and I want as much training as I can get.
I'm not saying more training is bad or objected to it, in fact I completely agree that more is better. I'm just saying that it's very hard for me to take the class. I would have to stay home from work to even consider it for time constraints, which would be a loss of about $400 a day. It's a very big downside of taking the class.

304Inc, I'm not talking about carrying without a permit.

Gunsmoke, I am paying attention to what they are saying. I'm Also saying that taking the class would put a HUGE burden on my family and life. I am not disregarding their information, which I completely AGREE with.

As to the martial arts, I am saying it offers the conflict resolution and control that is offered in a concealed carry class. I DO NOT feel that it is a substitute for a firearm for defense, I even mentioned this early.

Again my issue with taking the class is simply that I don't have time to do it, I work from 6:30 am till 5:30 pm or later DAILY, sometimes I start at 4:30 am even. This work schedule eliminates doing almost anything after work. On the weekends I spend time with my daughter and have other obligations. It would require me to cut into either work or my time with my daughter, either of which is more costly then I see the benefits are worth.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #33

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika View Post
I'm not saying more training is bad or objected to it, in fact I completely agree that more is better. I'm just saying that it's very hard for me to take the class. I would have to stay home from work to even consider it for time constraints, which would be a loss of about $400 a day. It's a very big downside of taking the class.

304Inc, I'm not talking about carrying without a permit.

Gunsmoke, I am paying attention to what they are saying. I'm Also saying that taking the class would put a HUGE burden on my family and life. I am not disregarding their information, which I completely AGREE with.

As to the martial arts, I am saying it offers the conflict resolution and control that is offered in a concealed carry class. I DO NOT feel that it is a substitute for a firearm for defense, I even mentioned this early.

Again my issue with taking the class is simply that I don't have time to do it, I work from 6:30 am till 5:30 pm or later DAILY, sometimes I start at 4:30 am even. This work schedule eliminates doing almost anything after work. On the weekends I spend time with my daughter and have other obligations. It would require me to cut into either work or my time with my daughter, either of which is more costly then I see the benefits are worth.
I understand what you're saying and understand not being able to afford things, as well as sacrificing time and money where your family is concerned. I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. Like yourself my son is a young parent who has to balance his time with working extra to pay his mortgage and all the bills and wants to be around more with the family. His wife works 2 jobs as well, so I know things are tough out there these days and that upsets me big time.

Someone my son knows who got his black belt years ago with him opened up a good school, which teaches Israeli style martial arts and he wanted my son to get involved. But he too doesn't have the time nor the money that it would cost. All I can say is I hope all goes well for you and just be careful where using a gun is concerned. I wish you luck.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 290 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Its my understanding a decent defense lawyer costs way more than $400.00 a day. You can find gun classes that you can break down into 2-3 hrs segments over a couple of weekends. Trust me when I tell you the training is worth it. A couple hours away from the kids isn't that big a deal. Just make the rest of the day better for them.
As an aside, one of my pet peeves is someone who asks for advice and then argues with the answers.
If you think you already know enough to safely carry a concealed weapon then no one here is going to change your mind.
I truly wish you luck. No offense meant .

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #35

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
Its my understanding a decent defense lawyer costs way more than $400.00 a day. You can find gun classes that you can break down into 2-3 hrs segments over a couple of weekends. Trust me when I tell you the training is worth it. A couple hours away from the kids isn't that big a deal. Just make the rest of the day better for them.
As an aside, one of my pet peeves is someone who asks for advice and then argues with the answers.
If you think you already know enough to safely carry a concealed weapon then no one here is going to change your mind.
I truly wish you luck. No offense meant .
Well all I did was respond to someone suggesting it, I didn't ask about it.