Concealed carry rigs and my concerns at work - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed carry rigs and my concerns at work

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Picayune, MS
Posts: 81
Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
http://youtu.be/9ki26Scr0Wc

Please get the training.
What is so different about it?
__________________
genesaika is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika View Post
What is so different about it?
firearms are not martial arts. totally different. you can't shoot someone with a foot or hand in karate or judo.

there is no such thing as too much training when it concerns firearms, and CC classes don't just teach about the firearms, but the legal aspects. you need to be aware of what you can or can't do legally when carrying a firearm.

learning from the classes should not be something after the fact of carrying, but way before ever carrying. you even said yourself that you were new to pistols, and this is even readon more that i urge you to get some training.

i work on heavy equipment as well, and i can honestly say, there is no way i would carry while working on my person. i would find it to be too uncomfortable and possibly even unsafe, given the manner a mechanic has to work in doing his job.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,990
Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Default

I have not participated in any martial arts training, so I cannot tell you what the difference is. But I am very concerned about equating training of one discipline to another under any circumstances, let alone in a context of life and death choices.

For example, would you trust a family practitioner to do heart surgery? They have both had extensive medical training.

Or how about the person who says a bond and a stock are the same. They are both financial instruments, aren't they?

Or what if the Marines spent all their training on hand to hand combat, then handed their men and women carbines and said "it's just like hand to hand".

Please get the training.

Check here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Picayune, MS
Posts: 81
Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
firearms are not martial arts. totally different. you can't shoot someone with a foot or hand in karate or judo.

there is no such thing as too much training when it concerns firearms, and CC classes don't just teach about the firearms, but the legal aspects. you need to be aware of what you can or can't do legally when carrying a firearm.
That first comment reminds me a lot about the argument most gun grabbers use to justify banning guns. The fact is for a martial artist it is incredibly easy to kill someone. The only real difference is range. Plus martial arts is a dark more dedicated study in morals and safety then any concealed carry class. Martial arts is a lifelong study in proper defense and when to use those defenses while a concealed carry class is a few weeks? Maybe a few months.

I agree that the legal aspect is a bonus, but I don't feel I should pay and use up the very little free time I have on something that is available publicly for free.
__________________
genesaika is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Picayune, MS
Posts: 81
Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I have not participated in any martial arts training, so I cannot tell you what the difference is. But I am very concerned about equating training of one discipline to another under any circumstances, let alone in a context of life and death choices.

For example, would you trust a family practitioner to do heart surgery? They have both had extensive medical training.

Or how about the person who says a bond and a stock are the same. They are both financial instruments, aren't they?

Or what if the Marines spent all their training on hand to hand combat, then handed their men and women carbines and said "it's just like hand to hand".

Please get the training.

Check here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx
I'm not suggesting that martial arts offers some magical insight into using firearms. I'm saying the it offers the same or better instruction in conflict resolution and avoidance. That coupled with a strong knowledge of gun safety, offers the same benefits of taking a concealed carry class.
__________________
genesaika is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika View Post
That first comment reminds me a lot about the argument most gun grabbers use to justify banning guns. The fact is for a martial artist it is incredibly easy to kill someone. The only real difference is range. Plus martial arts is a dark more dedicated study in morals and safety then any concealed carry class. Martial arts is a lifelong study in proper defense and when to use those defenses while a concealed carry class is a few weeks? Maybe a few months.

I agree that the legal aspect is a bonus, but I don't feel I should pay and use up the very little free time I have on something that is available publicly for free.
i am sorry but i have to disagree. my reasoning has nothing to do with the politics of guns or gun grabbers. yes a person well trained in martial arts can kill another person. but realistically how many people truly reach that level? if i had to guess, very few.

you seem to have your mind made up as to how you are going to go about this, and i feel any further discussion on my part would be wasting yours and my time. have a nice day.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
widowmaker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,990
Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika View Post
I'm not suggesting that martial arts offers some magical insight into using firearms. I'm saying the it offers the same or better instruction in conflict resolution and avoidance. That coupled with a strong knowledge of gun safety, offers the same benefits of taking a concealed carry class.
It would not surprise me at all that well trained martial artists are better prepared for conflict resolution.

Please take the class.
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Picayune, MS
Posts: 81
Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

I still don't feel like y'all have offered me enough reason why I need to take the class. I seem to have everything cover with the exception of the laws which are available to the public.

After work I have an average of 3 hours to spend and I just don't see the benefit of using them on this class, assuming I can get a class for after 6 -7 pm that wouldn't mind me possibly missing a day, work often requires me to leave town or work 19+ hours a day.

__________________
genesaika is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,465
Liked 2163 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Default

Members of my family has been in the transmission business for close to 50 years. None of them carry a gun on the job. Two of the members of my family that run transmission shops are retired LEO. They do keep guns on hand but not on their person. One keeps a shotgun in his toolbox in the building room. They all have a pistol of some fashion in the office. My father was robbed at gunpoint. He and his wife were in the office and a guy busts into the office with a pistol. My father is a retired LEO. He didn't try to fend off the robber because he was concerned his wife would panic. He just paid the robber off and dialed 911. The police caught the robber in the act two days later.

In a shop environment a robber who has put any thought into the robbery is going to have the upper hand, even if everyone in the shop is armed. I have worked in auto shops myself. When someone drives up I don't think "is this guy a threat?" I am sizing him up as a customer.

__________________

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Edge of Darkness
Posts: 6,495
Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Default

I really don't understand why you want to carry a firearm. In close quarters your deadly martial arts training would be better suited.

__________________
nitestalker is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
A open carry and concealed carry holster review jeffkaiser1989 Firearm Accessories & Gear 0 07-23-2013 03:49 PM
Retailers that carry concealed carry clothing? paulbrower Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 10 10-25-2012 11:36 PM
Difference between open carry and concealed carry ineverFTF Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 8 08-31-2012 07:11 PM
Concealed carry = Bad / Discreet Carry = Good -- Semantics canebrake Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 27 07-04-2011 06:53 PM
Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate Tony Soprano The Club House 31 08-06-2009 05:23 AM