Concealed carry rigs and my concerns at work
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed carry rigs and my concerns at work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Concealed carry rigs and my concerns at work

OK so I mentioned carrying at work in a thread today and got more help then I expected, so I figured why not make a thread on the subject. So here I am!

First off my gun, or future gun as it is. I will be getting a Beretta px4 full size. I did a lot of research and didn't find many real problems with it and I handled it in a store recently and loved how it felt and the weight. Unfortunately I haven't shot one, only because I just found a place that claims to rent then last week, haven't called to confirm for monetary reasons. I'm pretty set on it though. I decided on a full size because the compacts felt awkward, tiny, and just wrong in my hands. This could be because I'm fairly new to handguns, but that's how I felt and I don't buy something unless I'm comfortable with it.

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic which involves getting into the dirt, sand, grease, and often tight or awkward positions (upside down was mentioned). I have my concerns about safety in these conditions while carrying and would like some opinions.

Right now I'm looking at a blackhawk serpa cqc holster with the shoulder rig for it, maybe even a magazine and flashlight on the weak hand side. I figure the hard holster will help with accidental discharges and damage, plus the lock seems accessible and strong. The shoulder rig attaches to the belt for added security in those odd positions and it should keep things fairly close to me for getting in and out of those spots. I would wear 5.11 tactical carry shirts because they are well made and allow easy access to a shoulder holster, also they don't stain from grease!

The holster seems pretty versatile as well, so I could probably open carry on my belt while hunting or if I felt like it for some reason ( I'll warn my wife to hit me on the head if I'm not hunting lol), but can they be worn IWB? I looked at the website for an option and didn't find one. Being on a budget I'd rather only buy one holster, though I am looking at a foxx IWB.

Of course if there is anything you feel I should consider please tell me.

Edit: I forgot to mention, on particularly nasty jobs I would probably just leave the gun in the truck since it wouldn't do me much good inside of a machine anyways.

Last edited by genesaika; 09-09-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Don't forget what sweat will do to your firearm. You will want to break it down for cleaning pretty regularly and give it a wipe down on an even more regular basis.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #3

Good point I'll have to see how it goes, might be a once or twice a week thing. Hopefully it's not daily, but I could manage lol.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have a relative in heavy equipment repair; he has that enhanced carry permit and carries daily. I'm not 100%, but I am under the impression that his firearm goes in the truck if he is to be working under something for a while, for the sake of keeping the pistol debris-free.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have a few Blackhawk SERPA's and am very impressed with with their retention capabilities and ease of drawing and re-holstering.

I recommend against shoulder holster rigs to my students as you inevitably cover yourself and anyone behind or beside you when you draw your firearm.

SERPA holsters are not designed to be used IWB. You would be unable to operate the release mechanism.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #6

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

From your comments you are not familiar with handguns or the responsibility of being armed. If you have not yet done so take a course in concealed carry.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i work and have worked in the same field of repairing and maintaining equipment for many years now. there is no way i would carry while doing that type of work. the pistol regardless of what holster you had would always fine a way to be in the way.

climbing and crawling all over equipment, laying down on creepers and such would not be very comfortable with a pistol being carried.

personally i have never had a piece of equipment attack me or feel the need for a pistol when working on them. well maybe a few times!

Old 09-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1108 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I own your choice in a gun, as well as a few others (retired FFL ) and I would be concerned about fouling that gun with chemicals and grime.

You don't eat corn cut off the cob with a soup spoon, or suck up mashed potatoes and gravey through a straw. Why carry your favorite gun into somewhere that is inappropriate?

Get a small pocket pistol like a Rugar LCP , put it in a pocket holster and a zip lock bag and go about your business. Possibly put the gun and bag inside holster for better retention in your pocket.

LCP comes in a polished chrome version that might help fight corrosion. I own one.

You will not find a smaller, more reliable pistol.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
From your comments you are not familiar with handguns or the responsibility of being armed. If you have not yet done so take a course in concealed carry.
I feel taking a concealed carry class would be rather redundant. I'm rather well trained in multiple martial arts, which I believe teach roughly the same thing, and it's all common sense, Also basic gun safety covers a bit too.

I am not very familiar with handguns, but I have shot many. When I say I'm not familiar with them I mean I haven't had the chance to shoot them anywhere near as often as I would like. This will be remedied before I even think about getting a ccw permit.

I have thought very seriously about not carrying at work and I am torn. Most of my work is in New Orleans and I would rather be armed there, but I Also know that mechanic work makes carrying a much more difficult prospect, which is why I posted the question.

As far as the shoulder holster being sub optimal, yes I realize that it puts the firearm in a position that is not as safe as on a hip and it is impossible to not sweep people on your weak side when you draw. It is the only safe way I have come up with to carry a firearm at work though, because the firearm is tucked away under your arm there is less chance of it getting hung up on something.

I'm still debating if I will carry at work or not and I appreciate all opinions on the matter.

AR10, yes I am rather worried about debris getting into the firearm, but keeping it in a shoulder holster under a thick shirt like the 5.11 tactical one would stop most of it and the bit that does get through I would hope wouldn't be an issue. Again this will have to be checked, because I'm not sure.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2335 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika View Post
I feel taking a concealed carry class would be rather redundant. I'm rather well trained in multiple martial arts, which I believe teach roughly the same thing, and it's all common sense, Also basic gun safety covers a bit too.
http://youtu.be/9ki26Scr0Wc
Please get the training.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
nitestalker Likes This