Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > concealed carry in other states

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default concealed carry in other states

I have been issued a concealed carry permit in Virginia, I am traveling to PA next week, if I carry up there am I still good on the legal side. I looked it up and it showed that both states issue to residents and non residents. I never went through a concealed carry class so I do not know what states honor the Virginia permit and who ones dont

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #2

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

According to this, reciprocity is shared between Va and Pa...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/...click on the desired state to see the specifics.

If you're driving, watch out for Md, they don't share s**t!!! ...If it were me, I'd find a way around the whole damn state if possible...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 06-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #3

if you are familiar with the interstate at all through there i am going to be in maryland for 10 miles. I was wondering this, a guy I know says when im pulled over for anything i got to put my hands on the window and tell the officer i am carrying, does the officer take the firearm and run background on the firearm. I am not in trouble or nothing, everything would check out just fine. Just curious how that works

Old 06-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #4

If you're carrying in a state that does not share reciprocity with yours, you broke the law and most likely will be arrested. (In Md, they'll probably put you under the jail) Again, if it were me, I don't care if I was only in the state for 10 feet, I'd find a way around. They have no business telling me I have no right to protect myself and my family... Your question can be answered on the site under 'must inform'.

If it's a 'must inform' situation, the first thing you do is put your hands in plain sight and tell him or her you are carrying and produce all necessary documentation. They may or may not check your gun, it's different every time, and a lot depends on your general attitude...in other words...PLAY NICE!!!

It's never a bad idea to contact a lawyer that specializes in gun laws and get all the info you can...never take legal advice from your friend or some guy on the internet, especially when your freedom is on the line...

Old 06-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #5

the guy i talk to is my platoon sergeant who is also a virginia state trooper, he knows if i mess up out there it'll affect both my civilian and military life.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #6

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedtrucks4me View Post
the guy i talk to is my platoon sergeant who is also a virginia state trooper, he knows if i mess up out there it'll affect both my civilian and military life.
Indeed , on top of that. Just because one state honors anothers permit doesn't mean you can carry the way you do in your home state .

For instance in florida you can drive in your vehicle wearing your gun with a permit but if you goto another state that honors florida's permit that state might still require you to have your gun locked up in a box when you drive. So definitely check the specifics of every state you plan on traveling through BEFORE you begin your travel.

Last edited by Gh0zt36; 06-20-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #7

thanks for that ghozt, i'll check that out right now

Old 06-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
Indeed , on top of that. Just because one state honors anothers permit doesn't mean you can carry the way you do in your home state .

For instance in florida you can drive in your vehicle wearing your gun with a permit but if you goto another state that honors florida's permit that state might still require you to have your gun locked up in a box when you drive. So definitely check the specifics of every state you plan on traveling through BEFORE you begin your travel.
This is your best bet. And just dont get pulled over!!!

Old 06-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8638 Times on 3742 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

VA CHL? Do not carry in MD. Unload it, case it, put the case in the trunk. Trust me on this one. Your Plt Sgt has an advantage you do not- HE can carry in any state of the Union.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I assume your heading up 81n , I'm from VA and when I hit that bridge I set my cruise control for the next 10mn. I don't know where your going in PA but for the the love of freedom stay the hell out of NY