Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed Carry Gun - 9mm or .40? (Fact Specific)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Nothing has changed since then, except their guns.

I didn't underestimate the 9mm. But you said yourself: "in all likelihood, won't be practicing like a police officer." and "With training and bullet placement,". So, like I said (speaking from experience) shot placement in a real gun fight isn't likely to happen when bullets are comming back at you.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #22

Knowing a few officers, personally, I don't train like any officer that I am familiar with. I hit the range more than once or twice a year. I tend to go every 4-6 weeks.

I don't feel as if there is enough of a differnece between the 9mm and .40 to justify stocking two caliburs if you are not inclined to. If price is more than a minor factor, stick with the calibur you already have. If its doesn't matter, get the largest calibur that you can accuratly fire and quickly bring back on target for another accurate firing. I don't care if its a .22 or a .50, if you can't put the 2nd or subsuquent rounds in your target, you could end up dead in a self defense situation.

There are some one shot kills out there, but don't ever count on one happening when you need it. Just keep pulling that bang switch until the threat stops.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It's my hope that none of us encounter that life-or-death situation. But it would be foolish to think it won't (or couldn't) happen to you and me. I agree that having a caliber that's quickly repeatable for you is far superior to the one big bang caliber. Personally, I carry different sized guns and calibers depending on what I'm doing at that time. However, I keep one particular BUG available at all times.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #24

there was also an incident where a 6'4 man on pcp took 9 rounds of mixed company (9mm and .45 i believe) and was still able to take down 2 officers before expiring. there's a ton of freak accidents, thats why its important to practice shooting. i dont really care what other people say, the classic 2 in the chest 1 in head will surely slow anyone down enough to let you and your loved ones get away harm free. practice practice practice.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #25

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 260

SigSire, I agree with Robocop, there is nothing wrong with the 9mm available today, shot placement is on the top of my list, because you can't stop what you cant hit regardless of size. I also have pondered this as I have several different calibers in my ammo box. I can't bring myself to sell any of my guns but the future purchases are leaning towards one caliber. There is also nothing wrong with the .40 and .45 rounds out there, just looking to keep the ammo cost in check.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #26

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

**On a more serious note, I'm actually glad this thread was awoken from its long slumber, as it contains a couple of very good links!

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn R View Post
Remember, it is not how many rounds you can put downrange, it is the hits that count. The 9mm is proven not a 1 round man stopper. The .45 is. But the best pistol is the one you have with you. Get it, practice, practice, practice and always carry it with you.

-Semper Fi
Ok, this is gonna sound like I'm trying to be a smarta$$ but I'm really not. So...

Where is it that you shoot someone with a .45 that kills them but it doesn't kill them with a 9mm?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 06-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #28

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
Ok, this is gonna sound like I'm trying to be a smarta$$ but I'm really not. So...

Where is it that you shoot someone with a .45 that kills them but it doesn't kill them with a 9mm?
It's not, and both depend on shot placement. Both would be 1 round stoppers if you plant 1 right between the eyes or 1 in the upper left chest and blow out an aortic arch.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”