Concealed Carry Gun - 9mm or .40? (Fact Specific) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed Carry Gun - 9mm or .40? (Fact Specific)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The million dollar question,best handgun caliber for self defense...I go with 9mm cause I already have several pistols on that caliber ,even though I have one in 40...fortunately i don't have any first hand experience on efectiveness...I,m not sure if there are conversion barrels for Sig..(i do own a P228,great gun), If they are conversion barrels for Sig maybe you can a buy a .40 pistol and with a conversion barrel you can shoot 9 mm to, you'll both calibers,i would do that if i have to buy guns all over again...

Old 03-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default correction

i meant " you'll have both calibers' in my previous reply...

Old 03-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #13

wow thanks for that nice attachment article bighead that was interesting.

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Old 03-31-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So heads or tails? Sounds like it's 50/50, both rounds are good for personal protection. I carry a 45 most of the time as I want the best chance to end the threat but when the weather is warm I carry a 9mm. It comes down to what fits you and what you can hit center mass with in the first few rounds.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 AM   #15

Go with a 9mm. It's a lethal round, it's cheaper to practice with, easier to shoot and will get the job done. A human being is a walking bag of guts. Bullet placement is much more important than bullet design and weight. You shoot a man in the 10 ring and most of the time he will go down. You shoot him in the brain and he will go down every time regardless of caliber. Even if you don't get a good CNS hit with a 9, as long as you have quality ammo that will tear and shred tissue, the bullets will drop his blood pressure and take him down.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbillfromca View Post
Go with a 9mm. It's a lethal round, it's cheaper to practice with, easier to shoot and will get the job done. A human being is a walking bag of guts. Bullet placement is much more important than bullet design and weight. You shoot a man in the 10 ring and most of the time he will go down. You shoot him in the brain and he will go down every time regardless of caliber. Even if you don't get a good CNS hit with a 9, as long as you have quality ammo that will tear and shred tissue, the bullets will drop his blood pressure and take him down.

The FBI disagrees with you. There was a shoot out in Georgia a few years ago where an agent was killed by a mortally wounded suspect who was shot with a 9mm (The suspect was shot in the heart then the suspect killed the agent before expiring). This shoot out resulted in the FBI looking for a better man-stopper than the wonder 9. If I am not mistaken this is how the 40 S&W came about.

For CC use a caliber that begins with a '4'. My personal carry gun is a Colt Officers in .45 ACP. Old school but very effective.

Remember, it is not how many rounds you can put downrange, it is the hits that count. The 9mm is proven not a 1 round man stopper. The .45 is. But the best pistol is the one you have with you. Get it, practice, practice, practice and always carry it with you.

-Semper Fi

Last edited by Glenn R; 04-02-2009 at 12:20 AM.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn R View Post
The FBI disagrees with you. There was a shoot out in Georgia a few years ago where an agent was killed by a mortally wounded suspect who was shot with a 9mm (The suspect was shot in the heart then the suspect killed the agent before expiring). This shoot out resulted in the FBI looking for a better man-stopper than the wonder 9. If I am not mistaken this is how the 40 S&W came about.

For CC use a caliber that begins with a '4'. My personal carry gun is a Colt Officers in .45 ACP. Old school but very effective.

Remember, it is not how many rounds you can put downrange, it is the hits that count. The 9mm is proven not a 1 round man stopper. The .45 is. But the best pistol is the one you have with you. Get it, practice, practice, practice and always carry it with you.

-Semper Fi
Glenn,the incident that made the FBI reconsider there handguns caliber was knowned as "The Miamai firefight" and took place in 1986,and the shot to heart you mention was in fact a silvertip 115 grain 9 mm hollowpint that first went through the bad guy's arm then it stopped an inch away from his heart,as the bullet did expand like it was designed to,a lot of bad things happened in the incident,like the other bad guy being abble to regain conciousness after being hit in the jaw by a 38 +P round...they even made a tv movie about this incident...Anyway the FBI testing after the incident resulted on the 10 mm caliber as the winner,the problem was thta it had too much recoil,so they started loading a more mellow load knowned as the "FBI lite" or "FBI load" I believe...years later some guy figured out he could get the same performance of this lite load from a shorter casing: The .40 S & W was born,so this load is to the 10 mm something like the .380 is to the 9 mm, nothing wrong with this caliber but I think there are probablly "horror stories" involving .40 and others, there is one in wich a police officer shot a very heavy bad guy 3 times with a 357 magnum only to die from a 22 caliber shot...I think ammo has evolved a lot since 1986(obviously for all calibers) ,IMHO the 9 mm ,even though they might be more effective 'manstoppers" sometimes gets a reputation worse then it might deserve...
Here is a link for info on the miami incident,it is very interesting...cheers

The Gun Zone -- FBI Miami Firefight

Old 04-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn R View Post

-Semper Fi
You are close but no cigar. It was actually the 10mm the FBI commissioned for agent use. However, the 10mm was too powerful, resulting in the agents not qualifying with it. Then S&W began to work on the S&W .40...

I like the S&W 40 OK. It's a good compromise between the 9mm Luger and the 45 ACP. I tend to shoot my 45 ACP more often than all of my other autoloaders. In the revolvers, my preference is my .357 loaded up with 38 Specials.

There is no question as to the popularity of the 9mm Luger, and it is by far the most available ammo.

As great as "shot placement" is on paper targets and in theory... in a real gun fight you will be dammnnn LUCKY to hit your assailant at all. An your pistol caliber will be your best friend. Don't kid yourself into thinking you'll get any kind of shot placement when YOU are being shot at.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I remember the Miami FBI shootout as though it was yesterday, it happened to be my birthday. Whew, I'm glad I wasn't there!

Last edited by Mark F; 04-02-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

As great as "shot placement" is on paper targets and in theory... in a real gun fight you will be dammnnn LUCKY to hit your assailant at all. An your pistol caliber will be your best friend. Don't kid yourself into thinking you'll get any kind of shot placement when YOU are being shot at.
45ACP and 40S&W ammo is becoming very expensive to shoot. The question that started this post made me presume that this was a novice shooter who, in all likelihood, won't be practicing like a police officer. A .40 is a hot load for a novice shooter. The Israelis killed effectively with the 9mm round for decades. With training and bullet placement, don't underestimate the 9.

As for that Miami shootout, that was a cluster f*** caused by agents who were poorly trained and exhibited idiotic tactics.