Concealed carry consideration
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed carry consideration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Concealed carry consideration

I have been looking for some time and taking a large amount of information in towards my intentions of a pistol for concealed carry.

My big concerns are that I am dead set on .45 ACP caliber. Not swaying from that, which seems to limit my choices a fair amount. I am also adamant about having a pistol that the grip fits/fills my hand. There is nothing I hate more than the idea of a small pistol that I have to fumble around with because it is so small. I am 6'4" and proportional hand size. I want to find something that is small enough for a concealed carry under a vest, jacket or something of that nature. The ones that I have looked at so far are Kimber (but not considering because of the price), Sig Saur P250, Glock 30S (not a Glock fan but good looking pistol), Springfield XDM, and Rock Arms Tactical VS grip.

Open minded to any ideas and/or suggestions but mainly looking for information from people that have experience with what they are talking about and know the quirks you don't find on advertisements and professional reviews.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #2

Liked 4784 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1474

17 years of daily CCW hear so I can tell you that the biggest "quirk" in CCW is "you".

Over the years I've packed everything from huge guns to tiny guns... 44 Mag down to .32 ACP... and everything in between.

None of us can tell you which gun is going to work and be concealable with your body type but I can tell you that demanding a full length grip is going to cause your CCW to "print" unless you add a layer.

I'm no where near your size at 5' 10" but... understand that the critical dimensions for effective CCW and comfort is height "from bottom of grip to top of slide" and width with 1" or smaller prefered.

For my size, a gun no taller than 4" is ideal. I carry a Kahr PM 9 daily, IWB, under a golf shirt or button down and it's been completely undetectable for over 5 years now.

The 1" dimension does relegate your choices down to "single stack" guns but "single stack" back up mags are also quite easy to conceal.

If .45 ACP is a must, I highly recommend the Springfield Armory XDS. It's 1" wide and 4.5" tall with it's flush 5 round mag and comes with an extended 7 round back up mag.

You won't get your entire paw on it with the 5 rounder but may with the 7 rounder and given your size, you may be able to conceal it with the 7 rounder loaded?

Good Luck and don't worry if you wind up popping for a full size Hi Cap... we've all aquired several nice "range guns" this way.

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWCBuckaroo View Post
I have been looking for some time and taking a large amount of information in towards my intentions of a pistol for concealed carry.

My big concerns are that I am dead set on .45 ACP caliber. Not swaying from that, which seems to limit my choices a fair amount. I am also adamant about having a pistol that the grip fits/fills my hand. There is nothing I hate more than the idea of a small pistol that I have to fumble around with because it is so small. I am 6'4" and proportional hand size. I want to find something that is small enough for a concealed carry under a vest, jacket or something of that nature. The ones that I have looked at so far are Kimber (but not considering because of the price), Sig Saur P250, Glock 30S (not a Glock fan but good looking pistol), Springfield XDM, and Rock Arms Tactical VS grip.

Open minded to any ideas and/or suggestions but mainly looking for information from people that have experience with what they are talking about and know the quirks you don't find on advertisements and professional reviews.
People Like This 
Old 06-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #3

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

yea I think its a head game as to what a person can shot well. Watch some of hickok45 videos. Guy has paws not hands. Some small pistol he shots with the middle pad on his finger and is still darn accurate at longer distances than should be practical for an older guy.

Wrap your hands around ever thing you can till you find your perfect pistol. Personaly if a 1911 fits you but a lighter pistol would do better look at the 22oz Kakr TP series. Size of the 1911 commander but much lighter weight that CC's well. Theres a piece of inner tube on the grip if it looks odd.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #4

Tack that has been my concern and trying to find a "happy medium" between something that fits and something concealable. It is a new concept for me to be concealed carry because I am so used to open carry. Military will do that to you I suppose.

Single stack was pretty much a given to keep the width down. If it takes more than that, you have back ups, if you use up your back ups well then you shouldn't have been there in the first place was my thoughts.

I appreciate both of your information and will keep it in mind. I am looking forward to getting back home (Afghanistan right now) and be able to actually put these babies in my hand at least and see how they feel. Been kind of a revolver man before and my pistol is a 1873 Cattleman .45 LC, just not something you carry around unless you are out on the range (cattle chasing range) or up in the hills.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I carry a commander length 1911 most of the time. It conceals well but you don't feel like you have a mouse gun in your hands wit ha grip that is the same as a gov frame 1911.

I recently acquired a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro in 45 not too long ago. The name is a little misleading. It's not tiny by any stretch but is a little smaller than a full size pistol. It's a 7+1 pistol so the width is a little less than someitnhg liek a comparable GLock or XD. The grip is a little smaller in length. and at first glance it looks like it might be too short for comfortable shooting. It hs a bit of a grip extension on the mag so it actually feels really nice. The smaller capacity makes it easier to carry on a weight perspective as well.

I'm as big Sig Sauer fan. There's plenty to look at there but being you are dead set on a spicific caliber the list gets shorter pretty quick.

The Springer XDs are great pistols. I like them more than a GLock any day of the week. If I was in the market for a striker fired weapon I'd probably look there first.

Have you looked at any of the FNP or FNX pistols? The ones I've shot have been fantastic shooters. I've had a FNP and it's in house clone Browning Pro. I prefer an external hammer and they have great ergonomics for both right and "wrong handed" shooters. They are a poly frame gun so the weight works pretty good for many people. Even with the reduced weight the recoil is very manageable. Maybe even more so than many other "tupperware guns".

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

there are quite a few that might fit your needs. my best suggestion would be to spend a day or two hitting all the gun stores available and trying some out to see what fits you. if there are any ranges that rent pistols, try them out as well.

the 45 ACP is a fine round and many, myself included will swear by it. and alot of comfortable and effective CC is all in the holster you choose. a good holster will allow you to carry comfortably and with less printing. again holsters are kind of personal as well. what works great for one person may not be suitable for another. and a quality holster will make a world of difference.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWCBuckaroo
I appreciate both of your information and will keep it in mind. I am looking forward to getting back home (Afghanistan right now) and be able to actually put these babies in my hand at least and see how they feel. Been kind of a revolver man before and my pistol is a 1873 Cattleman .45 LC, just not something you carry around unless you are out on the range (cattle chasing range) or up in the hills.

If you're a revolver lover why not carry one? I just bought a S&W model 66-2 with a 2.5" barrel. I don't carry it because I don't wanna hurt its finish (plus I haven't gotten my CCW permit in Kalifornia yet). My suggestion is a good S&W k frame snubby .357 Magnum, with a round butt (better for concealment). People effectively conceal them every single day,

I'm honestly considering carrying my wheel gun later on, despite the fact that I have a S&W M&P9c specific for this purpose. I just love my revolver.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm
(plus I haven't gotten my CCW permit in Kalifornia yet)
?????????? Wow, is that even a possibility? As I understood it, that was harder than a NYC CCW!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 06-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

?????????? Wow, is that even a possibility? As I understood it, that was harder than a NYC CCW!
It's damn hard, and damn expensive. You better hope to live in a county that gives them. Most counties won't issue. I luckily live in one that issues, however it's more expensive in this county than others because they make you do a psych eval. Load of crock. Can't wait to get out of this state.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #10
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 607

EWC, we are the exact same height and probably have a lot of the same issues. I'm 225 lbs with an athletic frame, so no beer belly issues. I'm left-handed and have no problem carrying an XD Tactical (5" barrel) with Veridian X5L laser/light in the 8 o'clock position in a custom Kydex holster and gun belt. I find moving the gun either forward or back from the side (9 o'clock) position really aids in concealment.

Here are the best tips I can give you for people our size trying to CCW:

1. Spend money for a PROPER belt and holster. I will never understand the thinking behind carrying a $700 gun in a $20 holster. Belt should be stiffened leather, about $90. The holster that you will risk your life on should be custom fit to your gun, about $90-120.

2. Buy clothes that are the correct size. We cannot shop at Wal--Mart! All your clothes should be "tall" to fit you correctly. No more buying XL just to get the right length. You don't need to pay a fortune from a big n tall shop, either - most JC Penny stores have a big n tall section right in the store. You'll be amazed how much easier it is to conceal when your clothes fit.

3. If possible, use a gun cover. This is a thin cotton pattern or stripe shirt you wear over your gun in public. It breaks up the carry lines and can be swept back out of the way with the off hand on the draw. With some judicious shopping, this can go over a polo or tee shirt and look like a very fashionable layered look.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

axxe55 Likes This