Concealed carry caliber choice?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed carry caliber choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Concealed carry caliber choice?

Hey, I'm new, so please correct me if I'm doing ANYTHING wrong [with my profile, thread introduction, etc.]. I'm sorry if I am, but like I said, I'm new, so PLEASE correct me if I am doing anything incorrectly, but...

I was wondering, what is the SMALLEST caliber concealed-carry ammunition caliber which provides at least reasonable stopping power [i.e- can be relied upon to stop a criminal at close range, assuming the criminal isn't on drugs, adrenaline, or is huge and/or extremely musclebound- since these things can improve someone's ability to withstand firearms fire], if it is an expanding bullet [i.e- ballistic tip or black talon]?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2010, 03:04 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Well, you said correct you, so how about swinging by here Introductions and telling us a little about yourself and your firearm interests, so the forum members can say howdy.

9mm Speer Gold Dot 124 gr JHP + P, smallest caliber round I would carry, if forced too.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-15-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
jbd

i carry 38 with +p ammo with no worries.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:46 AM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd View Post
i carry 38 with +p ammo with no worries.
Wife carries .38 + P in her Ruger LCR, as well.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-15-2010, 04:23 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Whatever you can reasonably expect to hole a BG with. There is no perfect round/platform. Arguments can be made for everything from .22 to 500. "Concealed" is relative.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-15-2010, 04:26 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I carry .40 S&w as it is what I'm used to shooting anyway.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #7

So, I was wondering, would a .32 ACP round be useful in a last resort scenario? How often would a FMJ .32 ACP round, aimed DIRECTLY at the center mass, take down an opponent [assuming the opponent is NOT on drugs, adrenaline, or is extremely musclebound] within a few [2 or 3] shots?

Old 03-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've never shot anything with a .32, but it's too puny for me to bet my life on. I carry either a 9mm or a .45acp and still shot placement is most important.

The .32 rates very low for self defense on any chart.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The smallest I would personally carry is 38 +p. I carry a 45 daily but arm my wife with a 38. If I wouldn't trust my life with it, I wouldn't trust hers either.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #10

My brother has a Ruger LCP in 380acp. It's a nice, reliable little gun, and easy to conceal. Remington 102gr. 380acp Golden Sabers are supposed to be pretty good. I know when it comes to concealed carry, some people will choose maximum comfort over more effective (larger caliber) guns. Personally, I wouldn't go smaller than 380acp with premium ammo. And you can get a 380acp pistol that isn't appreciably bigger than a 32acp. But when it comes down to it, anything is better than nothing.

MotorG20