Concealed carry in Brazil

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed carry in Brazil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Concealed carry in Brazil

NOTDKU asked me other day in a private message why I have not been posting for a while, and to make a long story short, I have been busy moving from Chile to Brazil.
Now that I am somewhat settled here in Brazil I have started to look for some type of firearm as I sold all the firearms I had accumulated in Chile, for reason that I will not get into here.
So here is the situation:
In Brazil it is possible to own a handgun for personal protection or for sports, and important to know is that they cannot be interchanged, i.e. I can’t use a gun registered for sport usage in a self defense situation, and vice versa. For sport usage most calibers are available, but overall the 9mm is strictly prohibited as it is used ONLY by the armed forces and the police. As I am not one of the before mentioned the 9mm caliber is not an option. Now to the scary part : For personal protection the following calibers are available : .22LR / .38SPL / .380ACP ..
(bummer, I should have moved to Texas…)
Yeah forget about .38SPL +P(+), .357 MAG, .40S&W, etc., etc.,....
There is no need to get into any hypothetical discussion, - these are the calibers allowed, so I will have to live with it, AND like it !!
The market for guns is practically restricted to TAURUS and GLOCK. Possibly other brands are available, but keep in mind that a GLOCK costs around 2000 USD, and ONE (1) round of .380ACP cost 1 USD ,…. So we gotta be cost effective here, as I have not found a job yet !
I live in the northeast brazil, in Natal to be exact, in the state of Rio Grande do Norte (RN), which is tropical climate, thus we normally see temperatures of approx 85-100º F year round, and this off course means that the dress code is t-shirt and shorts….
Have recently taken 4 courses in Israeli Combat Point Shooting with the South American branch of the KAPAP institute, thus for self defense I am accustomed to pistols rather than revolvers, but I have always like revolvers, and have owned some too.
Taken the above into consideration the question is what would be the choice for a self defense firearm? As far as I see it the choice is between a Taurus Snubby .38SPL, or a GLOCK 28 (.380ACP). I am leaning towards the GLOCK, but I would like to hear other opinions

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Last edited by MB44; 08-16-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8827 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

For a start, for self defense, I would scratch the .22 LR. Too light, too little energy.

Between the .380 and the .38 Special, energy is going to be darned near equal if you are using non +P ammo. The .380 is a lighter bullet, will penetrate less. It will be easier to conceal, and probably has more shots than a 5 shot snubby.

However, IMHO, the reliability of a good quality revolver is hard to beat. I just unclipped my ancient Mdl 36 from my belt as I came in the house. It is what I carry most days. You pays your money, you takes your pick. How is the cost of .38 Special ammo for practice?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:58 AM   #3

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

If cost is a major factor I would offer this advice.

A firearm now for self defense is better than saving for a future better firearm for self defense.

How much does the Taurus cost?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Glock M28.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Firearms laws in Brazil suck, I've got a few friends over there. I feel your pain, mate.

Are you sure that .38 +P is not permitted? I was under the impression that there wasn't a legal difference between regular .38 special and .38 +P. You're the one out there, so you probably know best.

If limited to those options I'd opt for a nice snubby. Ruger and Smith would be my top choices, but if Taurus is all that's available then go for it. I guess customer service must be a bit better over there than in other countries.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

HI Guys

thanks for the input. I did do a check on the +P ammo and it seems that I was wrong, and that it is available !!! So it looks like the snubby is the way to go, as I have checked the website of Taurus USA, and all their .38 snubbies are +P rated !!

TWO problems ....
1) they charge you about 2USD per round of the .38 SPL +P !!
2) and a cheap Snubby will hurt you for 800 USD, and e.g. a titanium version is about 1500 USD.....

I gotta move to Texas !!!

Last edited by MB44; 08-19-2010 at 11:58 PM.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:38 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Damn. Those prices are insane for Taurus guns. I don't understand how they can be cheaper in Argentina than in Brazil. That kind of money would get you a S&W or Ruger down here.

As for ammo prices, is regular .38spl any cheaper? You can use that for most of your practice sessions. Perhaps you should look into reloading, if it's not too much legal hassle.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB44 View Post
HI Guys

thanks for the input. I did do a check on the +P ammo and it seems that I was wrong, and that it is available !!! So it looks like the snubby is the way to go, as I have checked the website of Taurus USA, and all their .38 snubbies are +P rated !!

TWO problems ....
1) they charge you about 2USD per round of the .38 SPL +P !!
2) and a cheap Snubby will hurt you for 800 USD, and e.g. a titanium version is about 1500 USD.....

I gotta move to Texas !!!
Betcha can save some money on a nice, slightly used black market model

Old 08-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Betcha can save some money on a nice, slightly used black market model

Would that be in Texas or Brazil ????