Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed carry = Bad / Discreet Carry = Good -- Semantics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Addressing the verbage issue.....if you have a money bag or ipod that you don't want to cause temptation to a thief while your car is parked do you "discreet" it in your glove compartment or do you "conceal" it?

Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement.
Winston Churchill

Old 07-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
No, it just allows them to size up the situation and defeat your known defense. Ask any military planner about the element of surprise. If someone has selected you as a target, it is best not to have already shown them your ace in the hole...
I doubt that we're dealing with evil genius, criminal masterminds here.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 AM   #23

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostprofit View Post
+1 I dont know about the rest of the country but around here the people that will mug you or what not are just street thugs. Not ex navy seals. They are all not smart they are just predaters. They find the people that they think are weak and easy to prey apon and attack them.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #24

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Honestly?

One doesn't need to be very smart to take out the person who is clearly holding a gun. You're needlessly making yourself a target. Let's say you're in the bank and a BG comes in with the intent to rob the bank.

Now, stop right there... you'd like to assume he will see you with your big bad gun and run away with his tail between his legs. Sure, that's a possibility. However, he might just as well decide to shoot you before you even know he's a BG and go on about robbing the bank.

Perhaps you're went the movies and now you're heading to your car. It's dark and the parking lot is empty. Someone with less than good intentions saw you walking around with your gun. Perhaps they will avoid provoking a situation. Or maybe they'll just take you out before you're aware there's a situation. Perhaps they just wanted to rob you, but hey, now they're getting a free gun to.

So, you can just as easily provoke a situation by carrying it out in the open. It's like advertising that you have guns in your home. They'll just wait for the right time to strike. Perhaps they'll wait until you go somewhere you can't carry your gun and have to leave it in the car. Guess what? Free gun. And criminals love free guns.

The element of surprise, you've lost in. And in the process likely you're making yourself a target as well. It's just not smart to open carry in public. You're just making people around you uncomfortable. Will most likely attract the wrong kind of attention from LEOs. Same can be said for criminals.

These people aren't evil geniuses. But that majority of them aren't stupid. Hell, they could be stupid and still you've screwed yourself in all these situations. Especially if they'll do whatever it takes to get what they want.

Nope, I'd rather anyone besides family and very close friends assume I don't have ANY guns, period.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Honestly?

One doesn't need to be very smart to take out the person who is clearly holding a gun. You're needlessly making yourself a target. Let's say you're in the bank and a BG comes in with the intent to rob the bank.

Now, stop right there... you'd like to assume he will see you with your big bad gun and run away with his tail between his legs. Sure, that's a possibility. However, he might just as well decide to shoot you before you even know he's a BG and go on about robbing the bank.

Perhaps you're went the movies and now you're heading to your car. It's dark and the parking lot is empty. Someone with less than good intentions saw you walking around with your gun. Perhaps they will avoid provoking a situation. Or maybe they'll just take you out before you're aware there's a situation. Perhaps they just wanted to rob you, but hey, now they're getting a free gun to.

So, you can just as easily provoke a situation by carrying it out in the open. It's like advertising that you have guns in your home. They'll just wait for the right time to strike. Perhaps they'll wait until you go somewhere you can't carry your gun and have to leave it in the car. Guess what? Free gun. And criminals love free guns.

The element of surprise, you've lost in. And in the process likely you're making yourself a target as well. It's just not smart to open carry in public. You're just making people around you uncomfortable. Will most likely attract the wrong kind of attention from LEOs. Same can be said for criminals.

These people aren't evil geniuses. But that majority of them aren't stupid. Hell, they could be stupid and still you've screwed yourself in all these situations. Especially if they'll do whatever it takes to get what they want.

Nope, I'd rather anyone besides family and very close friends assume I don't have ANY guns, period.
And I will pretty much agree with you. I was just poking fun at your statement about military strategists. (forgot to use the sarcasm font/icon/whatever)
There are two sides to the OC argument. I'm not going to say which is better because I really don't care either way. I , personally, carry concealed. I'm just more comfortable that way.I don't think it's a bad idea to OC. And I don't think they should be chastised for it. I'm sure it has it's advantages. As a deterrent to crime? Ehhh... some could argue that. It worked out that way here at a local Waffle House. The would-be bandits caught a glimpse of a few guys sitting at a table with their sidearms and thought it best to move along. And.... they got caught. Could it have gone the other way? Sure. And yes, it can draw unwanted attention. Some people don't mind that attention. Some use it as an opportunity to educate or try to desensitize.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1138 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I like discrete carry. Like others have said, let someone find out I am carrying, I don't care to advertise it.

My wife has done a compelte 180 from the 1970s. Instead of complaining when I had a gun, now she asks if I am carrying. The answer is yes.

Now I need to get her to. A work in progress.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #27

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
And I will pretty much agree with you. I was just poking fun at your statement about military strategists. (forgot to use the sarcasm font/icon/whatever)
There are two sides to the OC argument. I'm not going to say which is better because I really don't care either way. I , personally, carry concealed. I'm just more comfortable that way.I don't think it's a bad idea to OC. And I don't think they should be chastised for it. I'm sure it has it's advantages. As a deterrent to crime? Ehhh... some could argue that. It worked out that way here at a local Waffle House. The would-be bandits caught a glimpse of a few guys sitting at a table with their sidearms and thought it best to move along. And.... they got caught. Could it have gone the other way? Sure. And yes, it can draw unwanted attention. Some people don't mind that attention. Some use it as an opportunity to educate or try to desensitize.
Ah, I see.

However, I wasn't the one who made the "military strategist" comment.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Ah, I see.

However, I wasn't the one who made the "military strategist" comment.
Oops. My bad.