Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed carry = Bad / Discreet Carry = Good -- Semantics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default Concealed carry = Bad / Discreet Carry = Good -- Semantics

Discreet vs. Concealed

The lamestream media told you:

Nothing, but firearm-permit holders are very concerned about this core issue.

The Uninvited Ombudsman notes however that:

Now that Arizona has broken ground with its new no-permit-needed Freedom To Carry law (effective 7/29/10, also called Constitutional Carry), efforts are underway to deny anti-rights bigots an upper hand in the battle of words that frames so many civil rights debates.

"Concealed carry," the term government prefers, implies you have something to hide," said numerous long-time permit holders. "Now that Arizona has normalized the right to keep and bear arms, it makes much more sense to always refer to discreet carry as discreet carry. Nothing requires you to be a showboat in your ownership or possession of any private property unless you want to be."

Writer and friend Don Kline insightfully notes that, "One thing I make a point of when discussing discreet carry is the fact that traditionally, and as a doctrine of law, tyrants would like us to forget we have a right to exercise our rights PRIVATELY. Being forced to carry openly if we carry at all is not only a violation of our right to bear arms, it is a violation of our right to privacy."

This point has been made in The Arizona Gun Owner's Guide for years, which noted that no-option open carry, despite its romantic appeal, is actually a reduction of your rights and makes it inconvenient to bear arms in many situations (p. 54).

"Paul Helmke and his ilk like to advance the theory that people have a right to know if someone around them is armed. They don't. They are already on notice that someone around them may be armed -- the Second Amendment and the Arizona Constitution places them on notice," Cline accurately observes. Helmke (leader of the Brady group) is merely posturing of course, and together with his scant membership hates knowing anyone has a firearm.

--------

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
phildenton Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Discreet vs. Concealed"Paul Helmke and his ilk like to advance the theory that people have a right to know if someone around them is armed. They don't. They are already on notice that someone around them may be armed -- the Second Amendment and the Arizona Constitution places them on notice," Cline accurately observes.
I find it very disturbing that we have so many laws that flagrantly violate the 2nd. "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed..." seems like a pretty clear and concise statement to me. Where anybody got the idea that there were conditions, I'll never know.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 05-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #3

Discreet vs. Concealed carry -- just more needless political correctness BS in my opinion -- don't need it and don't want it!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #4

Default Second Amendment

Nothing Proves to Me that I am an American more than my Gun........

Old 05-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

While it does seem a bit PC to me too, we do know that the anits use verbage to their advantage.

i.e. when Joe kills Kerry by running her down with a Chevy Malibu it's not called "Car Crime". Of course if Joe killed Kerry with his .357 it's labeled "gun crime".

There's power in labels. No doubt about it.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #6

I think the words we use in this ongoing battle not only over our Second Amendment Rights, but the very existence of our nation, are important. The uninformed are being constantly bombarded by a large, active, organized and, most importantly, persuasively articulate group with the intent to form one consensus; Guns Bad. As many of you have noted; a crime becomes a "gun crime," a simple semi-auto pistol becomes an "automatic weapon," the rifle an "assault rifle," ... etc. We know the truth. Our job is to inform the uninformed with clear, plain, yet well-considered speech. The British marching through Middlesex County on April 19, 1775 were not after hunting rifles, but shot and powder. The Second Amendment is about tanks, not 10/22's. We have already lost so much ground in the 20th Century in this fight we must not only stop the erosion of our rights, we must turn it around.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #7

Cane,
I see pictures of two 1911 type pistols at the bottom of your posts.
By any chance is the "King of Nines" a Browning HiPower?
If so please see my post of 10-7-10 in reference to same weapon.
thanks
hth3

Old 10-08-2010, 01:52 AM   #8

nice dat isn't it

Last edited by Ralphhster; 10-08-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
I want the bad guy on the street to know I have a gun on me. If he knows I am carrying a gun he will most likely select someone else as their prey.
This is 100% true. It is also 100% true that if he doesn't select someone else, he will be prepared for you *and* your gun.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

phildenton Likes This 
Old 10-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #10

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
This is 100% true. It is also 100% true that if he doesn't select someone else, he will be prepared for you *and* your gun.
I don't want the bad guy to know...until I decide to let him know.