Concealed Carry at 18 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed Carry at 18

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You are STILL attempting to twist the facts of HANDGUN and LONG GUN-carefully read the EXACT same statute you quoted-it says LONG GUN and says nothing about handgun. SURE I'll be delighted to get into the finer points of federal firearms law as applies to FFL holders AND private individuals. Remember when dealing with BATFE, the slightest miscalculation of interpetation or misread statute is what makes the difference between law abiding and illegal. Do you REALLY care to get into detailed discussion about firearms law with someone that DOES study firearms laws as hobby AND because I have to?
Not one bit of twisting of anything. You are just wrong about the federal statute.

The statute does not mention handguns, specifically. It does state explicitly that any firearm OTHER than a shotgun or rifle can only be sold to someone 21 or over by a FFL. "Other than a shotgun or rifle" includes handguns, does it not?

The entire statute has no other age provisions in the entire text. That makes it very clear to me that the matter of private transfers are regulated at the discretion of the state.

Last edited by Glock30Owner; 01-01-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The best thing to do is call your local state/county government and find out straight from them.

I believe stalkingbear has good advice. Err always to the stricter rule. Do the research yourself and you'll find the straight forward answer.

Mark Robert also has a good point in that you can contact the local LEO. They will not steer you wrong.

Trying to find loopholes will ultimately get you in trouble. My advice would be to wait until you are 21 years of age, take a class or two for safety, then get your permit.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8879 Times on 3845 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

FEDERAL law does not regulate a sale by a private citizen to another private citizen- it does regulate the actions of licensed dealers, collectors, etc. YES, some states allow possession by persons under the age of 21. As the man said, check your state law.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #14

Alabama CCW is possible. I have a CCW permit in Madison County (Huntsville) and have had it for a while now. Alabama does it by county, and lets each decide, which is REALLY odd. My CCW has reciprocity with several states, including our neighboring states.

Are you carrying because you want to or because you need to? Want isn't enough justification. Being a waiter handling $$ may not be significant enough for your money justification (you can offload $$ to the back or other main registers like at the bar).

I didn't have to have any classes with the sheriff or NRA to get mine, which I felt REALLY odd. But that doesn't mean I haven't had training.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern6er View Post
Are you carrying because you want to or because you need to? Want isn't enough justification. Being a waiter handling $$ may not be significant enough for your money justification (you can offload $$ to the back or other main registers like at the bar).

I didn't have to have any classes with the sheriff or NRA to get mine, which I felt REALLY odd. But that doesn't mean I haven't had training.
"Want" is a perfectly fine reason to carry. As far as I'm concerned, you don't need a reason to exercise a right.

Training is a good thing, but should, IMO, not be required for a person to be able to carry.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:57 AM   #16

I have researched it...and emailed from the Sheriff's page on the main website of the guy who apparantly handle permits...not sure but I think so.

He told me no exceptions have to be 21 and such.

Although I did get a confirmation on other counties allowing CCW at 18.

Either way I'll look into it more...most likely I won't have to care in a couple of years anyway.

But I deal with cash that never moves or goes to the back as that is the policy of the restaurant...I'm no waiter I'm a cashier.

It's a serve yourself...meaning you order up front and pay first...then you get your food....(actually works better this way since no one gets a free meal)

I don't want to be stuck where I have nothing to defend myself with from an attacker or robber. I want to be able to take down the badguy before he takes ME out.

As my friend Burt Gummer from Tremors once said, "When you need it....and don't have it....you sing a different tune."

But it looks like for now I won't be carrying. Unless I find something that states I can in black and white.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 01-04-2009 at 04:04 AM.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:35 AM   #17

i know in the state of GA a minor can carry around a gun just not
concealed if you have the proper training

^That me

Old 08-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #18

Default think before you talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
The laws are going to vary from state to state. I'm not aware of any states that will issue a permit to anyone under 21, but I do know that there are some states that allow those under 21 to open carry. I'm just not sure if Alabama is one.
hey Glock30Owner if you can't buy a handgun at 18 how can you open carry it.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #19

Default they don't psycho's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
I have researched it...and emailed from the Sheriff's page on the main website of the guy who apparantly handle permits...not sure but I think so.

He told me no exceptions have to be 21 and such.

Although I did get a confirmation on other counties allowing CCW at 18.

Either way I'll look into it more...most likely I won't have to care in a couple of years anyway.

But I deal with cash that never moves or goes to the back as that is the policy of the restaurant...I'm no waiter I'm a cashier.

It's a serve yourself...meaning you order up front and pay first...then you get your food....(actually works better this way since no one gets a free meal)

I don't want to be stuck where I have nothing to defend myself with from an attacker or robber. I want to be able to take down the badguy before he takes ME out.

As my friend Burt Gummer from Tremors once said, "When you need it....and don't have it....you sing a different tune."

But it looks like for now I won't be carrying. Unless I find something that states I can in black and white.
Hey Jirozero looking at your photo i wouldn't issue you a permit to carry , you look like a PSYCHO.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Er... Ruger... this thread is over a year and a half old. Jiro's in the Navy now, don't think he's looking to carry at this time....

9x18=Makarov