Concealed Carry at 18
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Concealed Carry at 18

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Concealed Carry at 18

Going to look in it more...but apparently there is a loop hole in Alabama where I can't buy pistols of course...BUT I can conceal carry them if I take a handgun course with an Alabama Sheriff or etc. I can only conceal carry if I'm in a high risk job of some sort...or I'm handling lots of money.

I figure since I handle over 1000-2000 Bucks worth of money...a DAY in my restaurant job and live in a semi-bad part of the neighborhood for this city at least, I can possibly conceal carry.

Anyone else hear of something like this? Don't quote me for fact I'm going to look into the laws again.

I'm going to research it more and perhaps if it's true I'll take the course and conceal carry in the near future with a CZ-82.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

last i knew it was illegal for any persons to carry a handgun in the states. with the exception of military and leo. i wouldnt risk it for one reason only, lawyers. if you were to shoot someone and they had a damn good shark on the payroll your going to jail for attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon as well as illegal carry of a firearm. but if it is true and you can get certified then hey.. more power to ya

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #3

Yeah I thought so too...but apparantly some parts of Bama you can CCW

Like Shelby county it's very rural and they allow CCW at 18 which is good.

I'm in Jefferson so I can't do it.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:34 AM   #4

The laws are going to vary from state to state. I'm not aware of any states that will issue a permit to anyone under 21, but I do know that there are some states that allow those under 21 to open carry. I'm just not sure if Alabama is one.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If it's illegal for you to buy a pistol at age 18, then I would think this means possession. Obviously something overlooked in statutes. Loopholes are just that........loose-holes is what I call them (keep your mind out of the gutter here). Loosely interpreted is what I mean. Never depend on loopholes keeping you out of jail, trouble, or getting your pistol taken away.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
If it's illegal for you to buy a pistol at age 18, then I would think this means possession. Obviously something overlooked in statutes. Loopholes are just that........loose-holes is what I call them (keep your mind out of the gutter here). Loosely interpreted is what I mean. Never depend on loopholes keeping you out of jail, trouble, or getting your pistol taken away.
Federal law only prevents a person under 21 from purchasing a handgun from a FFL. It doesn't prevent possession or ownership through private purchase or gift.

That leaves the ownership and/or possession up to individual states. Tennessee, for example, only prevents minors from having firearms (with some exceptions), but will not issue a Handgun Carry Permit to anyone under 21.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Anytime there's a discrepancy in federal and state or local law, ALWAYS err to the side of caution or the stricter law to play it safe. Since you are under the age of 21, it IS against federal law to purchase or possess handguns. I could only assume if you are carrying, that would be defined as being in possession. You're going to do what you want anyway, just remember you were warned. And as an FFL holder-we HAVE to stay abreast of federal law.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Anytime there's a discrepancy in federal and state or local law, ALWAYS err to the side of caution or the stricter law to play it safe. Since you are under the age of 21, it IS against federal law to purchase or possess handguns. I could only assume if you are carrying, that would be defined as being in possession. You're going to do what you want anyway, just remember you were warned. And as an FFL holder-we HAVE to stay abreast of federal law.
Would you care to back up your assertion that it is illegal for a person under 21 to purchase a firearm from a private person or recieve one as a gift and for them to have possession, under Federal law?

USC Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 44 § 922 (b)(1) is the only place that talks about age. This applies ONLY to FFLs.
Quote:
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

Old 01-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You are STILL attempting to twist the facts of HANDGUN and LONG GUN-carefully read the EXACT same statute you quoted-it says LONG GUN and says nothing about handgun. SURE I'll be delighted to get into the finer points of federal firearms law as applies to FFL holders AND private individuals. Remember when dealing with BATFE, the slightest miscalculation of interpetation or misread statute is what makes the difference between law abiding and illegal. Do you REALLY care to get into detailed discussion about firearms law with someone that DOES study firearms laws as hobby AND because I have to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
Would you care to back up your assertion that it is illegal for a person under 21 to purchase a firearm from a private person or recieve one as a gift and for them to have possession, under Federal law?

USC Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 44 § 922 (b)(1) is the only place that talks about age. This applies ONLY to FFLs.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #10

I've lived in Jefferson County most of my life, and was a Deputy here for a number of years.
I received my original carry permit at the age of 19. There was a little more checking than for those 21 or over, but I got it with no special circumstances.
I could not purchase from a FFL, but I could purchase privately.
Call the Sheriff's office, and ask for the Sgt over permits. You'll get the straight skinny from him. The process takes about 2 weeks, and I'm not aware of a course requirement.