Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > to conceal or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I dont care about bashing really. It just gets tiring and annoying when I start to see it go on. Not so much the banter back and forth, but when it gets to absolutes thats my limit. When it starts to reach "my way is correct, there isnt a need or advantage to the other way".

When its just people saying "I do this in this situation because of this reason" then its constructive. But when the only argument is "I only cc because the oc'er will be shot first" or the other one is "I only cc for the element of suprise". The second one is alright, it sort of has substance and logic behind it. But the first one is just hollow with no reasoning to be used as a blanket sentance.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Last edited by michigan0626; 07-28-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #32

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I do both...Depends where I'm going and weather or not I wan to make the effort to conceal if it's out in the open. I don't think bad people seek out OC guys and take them out. If that was the case there would be no cops. They all would be shot on sight from the plethora of bad people.If I was to be in a crowded place then OC just is not all that smart to me. Maybe with a retention rig but that just would mean I'd need another holster, and I have a box full now. In my tiny neck of the woods it really doesn't matter too much to me either way. I see OC people all over the place around here. But there are a lot of farmers and they are more inclined to not conceal around here. Some just don't want to get a permit, some don't think they should have to but don't want to get arrested for an illegal CC.

If the law allows for it and you want to then great...OC all you want. I will add though if you are "harassed" by law enforcement then you really shouldn't be all that ticked off. I mean, you are the guy wit ha gun after all.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

michigan0626 Likes This 
Old 07-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I do both...Depends where I'm going and weather or not I wan to make the effort to conceal if it's out in the open. I don't think bad people seek out OC guys and take them out. If that was the case there would be no cops. They all would be shot on sight from the plethora of bad people.If I was to be in a crowded place then OC just is not all that smart to me. Maybe with a retention rig but that just would mean I'd need another holster, and I have a box full now. In my tiny neck of the woods it really doesn't matter too much to me either way. I see OC people all over the place around here. But there are a lot of farmers and they are more inclined to not conceal around here. Some just don't want to get a permit, some don't think they should have to but don't want to get arrested for an illegal CC.

If the law allows for it and you want to then great...OC all you want. I will add though if you are "harassed" by law enforcement then you really shouldn't be all that ticked off. I mean, you are the guy wit ha gun after all.
This post perfect describes what I was trying to get at. Except for the cop part. You shouldnt be harrassed by cops over open carry just because they feel they need to always be "right" or win a situation even though they are wrong and dont know the laws completely. But thats off topic and has been also beaten to death.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 07-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #34

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
This post perfect describes what I was trying to get at. Except for the cop part. You shouldnt be harrassed by cops over open carry just because they feel they need to always be "right" or win a situation even though they are wrong and dont know the laws completely.
Quote:
But thats off topic and has been also beaten to death
And yet you bring it up again
But again- thats your right
When such starts botherin me (trust me it has) I've learned to back away awhile- I figure if i'm not teaching, learning or just enjoying others beechin, moanin or groanin i don't need to be here at that time--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 07-28-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #35

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I live in Alabama and we can open carry. however I choose to conceal because my thoughts are first when people see a gun they are gonna be scared or wondering what it is and how easy it is to take. Also If i was the bad guy I would go after my gun or shoot the guy with the gun first!

Fire for effect!

Old 07-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #36

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
This post perfect describes what I was trying to get at. Except for the cop part. You shouldnt be harrassed by cops over open carry just because they feel they need to always be "right" or win a situation even though they are wrong and dont know the laws completely. But thats off topic and has been also beaten to death.
I'm not really saying police will shake people down. It's more a uber lib sees you and thinks it cute to call LEO saying you have a gun and they are scared their unborn child will be affected. So they come out to check you out. You can be pissed off and say it's my right but to them you just a guy with a gun they where called out for. Actually I can't remember ever being asked by a LEO abotu a pistol open carried since I have lived in Ky. But for the most part police around here really don't give people a second look if they have a pistol on their hip.

I say if it's legal then have at it. Make sure that you are situationally aware but you should be that way anyway weapon or no weapon open or concealed. I don't think it puts me at risk if I open carry. It does not make me any more tactically safe hiding it for the most part. But like I said if I was to be going to a more crowded area I'm about always going to be carrying concealed.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
And yet you bring it up again
But again- thats your right
When such starts botherin me (trust me it has) I've learned to back away awhile- I figure if i'm not teaching, learning or just enjoying others beechin, moanin or groanin i don't need to be here at that time--
You're right. Thank you for point out my hypocrasy. I was responding to his comment, I was just hoping that it wouldnt make the thread go in that direction versus the current one.

Last edited by michigan0626; 07-28-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #38

Thank you for the responses, some helpful some not so much. I guess I'm trying to value open carry as a deterring factor versus the obvious target that paints and whether one truly outweighs the other. I don't usually wear a jacket or anything of that nature so cc may be an issue I have no desire to pocket carry a small .22 or something of that nature. Lots to think about.