You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Conceal carry suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I'm pocket only, but best holster I've found otherwise is SuperTuck. They still weren't comfortable enough for me...

I rarely recommend double stack or short trigger guns with no manual safety.

Sig P938
Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro Carry 9mm
Kahr CM9
Taurus PT709
Sig P238
Bersa Thunder Compact Carry 380
I second the double stack opinion they do bulge quite a bit and are uncomfortable to carry IWB.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 634

I tend not to recommend any individual firearm or carry method. As evidenced by our members' posts, the perfect carry gun for a 250 lb., 6'4" man is not the same one for a 110 lb., 5'2" woman! I can only recommend going to a range that rents weapons and trying as many as possible. TIP: Tell the manager that you are trying to determine a good carry weapon and they might make a deal for you to try out many of them. When I took my wife to shoot every possible caliber and determine what she was comfortable with, the manager of our local indoor range agreed to only charge for 2 rental guns (we took two at a time but went through almost every gun they had) and only charged for the ammo used, not by box for the calibers she hated. It was a great experience and she became well-acquainted with different models, actions and calibers.

Second suggestion: A gun that falls to the floor is at the very least embarrassing, and at the most can land you in jail (inciting panic with a weapon), with your CCW being revoked being most likely. Do not buy generic or nylon holsters to carry your life-saving tool in just to save money. allot around $70-110 of your budget for a custom molded leather or Kydex holster that will hold your weapon regardless if your rolling down a hill or using the stall in the bathroom. Finally, a thick, hardened leather belt will round out your CCW carry system and provide the correct support for your holster. This is the most often neglected part of the system and it is the cheapest ($45-60), but it is the foundation of the whole system and absolutely necessary.

By all means, have fun and ask questions! The more you ask, the more you learn, and the more intelligent your decisions will be. Ask on here as well - although members of this forum are not very likely to give their opinion. Yeah, right.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #13

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I couple things have come to mind. First you need to decide what caliber you like, and then pick a gun. I'm a smith and Wesson fan, so If your looking for a single stack start with the S&W bodyguard and then you can go to the M&P shield in 9 or .40, if you go 45, I'd go with the Springfield xds. All these guns are light and user friendly. Holsters? A dime a dozen and you have to figure it out. I carry my shield .40 in a Hidden Hybrid Holster and my bodyguard in a iwb Blackhawk.
apwvsd40ve Likes This 
Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #14

I wast trying to say I was new to handguns period. Just new to the concealed carry game. I decided to go with the xds with a crimson trace lg 469 laser. It's small but still easy to handle and get a good grip on. (Possibly getting the 7rd extended mags) I will most likely be getting the hybrid holster from multihilsters.com. Thanks for the input everyone!!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #15

Excuse the bad spelling. My iPhone doesn't like me today apparently.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #16

I usually CCW a Ruger LCP .380 acp, in a inside the waistband holster. Of course, you must be aware of regs within the state you are venturing within. The Ruger is light, but accurate. IMHO