Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Conceal carry suggestions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/conceal-carry-suggestions-88194/)

CajunStyle 04-04-2013 11:46 PM

Conceal carry suggestions

I am considering getting my first ccw. Had something happen recently where I wish I had a gun on me. I'm not looking to spend a ton but I want something true and reliable which is fairly easy to get accustomed to. Any suggestions on guns and holsters??
Any input is appreciated.

j4454 04-05-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunStyle
I am considering getting my first ccw. Had something happen recently where I wish I had a gun on me. I'm not looking to spend a ton but I want something true and reliable which is fairly easy to get accustomed to. Any suggestions on guns and holsters??

Regardless of gun the Glaco sto-n-go is awesome leather holster for $20-30 bucks. Gun? Idk your size or caliber preference. My favorite caliber is 45 but I carry 9, 40 is also good for carry. These are my suggestions and guns I've carried in some capacity. Kahr cm9 is about $375 and I have had zero issues

Single stack-
Kahr cm9,pm9,cw9
S&W shield

Double-
M&P9c,M&P40c
Glock 26,27,19,23

activereality 04-05-2013 12:11 AM

My carries are a g19 and a sig p229 SAS e2. I favor the sig. I shoot them both very often and am comfortable with both. Honestly. As long as you train with it, understand it, can address any blockage or malfunction effectively and efficiently any thing will work. Slingshot or a 50 ae wouldn't matter. Now concealing would be a different issue. Find a good holster that is sturdy. I like my bravo concealment dos it both guns. I do t print and can dress as I please.

Ultimately up to you, your level of automatic response training, and what you are comfy with.

Hell. I'd be more comfy walking around with an a2 than just a pistol. But that's me ;). Hehe.

MisterMcCool 04-05-2013 12:27 AM

This website will show you the different sizes of most popular pocket pistols.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B22wLsy YEkTOMDU4MjJlNTktOTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3Z Dlm&hl=en_US

BeyondTheBox 04-05-2013 04:43 AM

I'm pocket only, but best holster I've found otherwise is SuperTuck. They still weren't comfortable enough for me...

I rarely recommend double stack or short trigger guns with no manual safety.

Sig P938
Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro Carry 9mm
Kahr CM9
Taurus PT709
Sig P238
Bersa Thunder Compact Carry 380

Wolvee 04-05-2013 05:11 AM

Holsters & Belts mean more than the size of the gun.

Aries gear & Raven Holsters

If you want leather, Galco's hard to beat for mass production.

P30
P2000SK
G19
G26
Shield
Hk45c

I carry a P2000SK or a P30L everyday mood depending and a PF9 as a bug

Doc3402 04-05-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunStyle (Post 1203254)

When you said "true and reliable", and then added "easy to get accustomed to" the first thing that came to my mind was a quality revolver. You might want to consider a Ruger SP101 or any of the "J" frame Smiths.

SWIll 04-05-2013 03:47 PM

I agree with Doc3402, a double action revolver is a proven, reliable weapon platform, and is as user friendly as it gets-great option for someone new to handguns. I love my j frame, but something slightly bigger may be best for someone new; perhaps a S&W k frame model 10/64, or the ruger sp101.

FrontierTCB 04-05-2013 08:33 PM

X3 I also agree a revolver is likely the best choice for a first time gun owner. Easy to use and not complicated. A quality .357 like the Ruger SP 101 is an excellent gun for the money but there are many others to chose from. Also being able to shoot .38 sp. rounds out of it will help you in your training.

rickster 04-05-2013 09:03 PM

My ccw is a Taurus PT 740, 40sw. They also make a PT 709 which is chambered in 9mm. Both are reliable pistols with DA/SA triggers. Another reliable pistol is the Ruger LC9. With regards to the holster, I use a IWB concealment hosted from the Hoster Store or an Allen belt slide holster.