Conceal carry question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Conceal carry question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 06:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I second the motion with the beer and hell might as well make it a one stop for the concealed license, the 40, and the firearm. Ofcourse you would have to specify what type of forty. Old English and or Smith and Wesson.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #12

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

i would think any reason to help keep the peace or just to even out the playing field if you are in a situation to where you feel that you are in fear of your life should work?

heck,after i took the training course,or class..what ever ya wanna call it...went down to the sheriff's office and got finger printed and paid my fees...about 4 weeks later,the sheriff called to tell me there was a little problem with my app. wtf? is what i thought?..he asked me,when and why did you assault a police officer?i was like OMG! i was so shocked to find out that somewhere in my punk youths years, i was so high on grass that i did something so disrespectful...and dont even remember doing such a thing...i was tault better...my old man used to say..you can fight the law...but you have a better chance whooping your shadows a**...but that has always been my number one rule in life...so anyways,i just knew i would never get my ccw...but after talking to the cool sheriff, he approved my permit and i was one happy camper...of course the reason why i was asked about the assault charge...they had got my paper work mixed up..so if your denied...it dont hurt to ask why?...good luck

Last edited by m72law; 07-11-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:05 AM   #13

Default Ccp

I live in a small town. Hubby and I own a funeral home which requires traveling. I stated I wanted it for protection. Besides we know the whole Police department and they know we aren't crackpots. Love those small towns!! :-)

Old 07-19-2009, 05:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex1310 View Post
I'm so glad that I live in a state where a reason is not necessary. Its assumed you're
getting the ccw for personal safety. You fill out the form, pay $20, they do a background
check, take your picture and you walk out with the permit in 20 minutes.
Bada Bing, Bada Boom
Sounds like Alabama is a "Shall Issue" state like Virginia. Maybe a lawyer can chime in with the true meaning, but I think it amounts to you get the CCW for the asking, provided you have proof of training or experience, and you don't have a record that would disqualify you.

When I applied no reason was asked for in writing and no one asked verbally either. (I was a bit disappointed, b/c I had my answer all set: "Because it is my right.") The court people and the sheriff (where I had to get fingerprinted as a prerequisite for CCW) seemed to like the idea of another one of the "good guys" carrying. Despite the relative ease for Shall Issue residents to obtain a CCW permit, it is still a GIANT responsibility and not something to be taken lightly. Ever.

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:06 AM   #15

I would think that neighborhood watch would be a sufficient reason for conceal carry. I would think the police would want citizens arming themselves and helping protect the neighborhood because then it's also less of a burden on the police dept to have to patrol that area.

Last edited by hogger129; 07-21-2009 at 03:15 AM.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:10 AM   #16

Personally, I don't see how they can deny your right to carry a weapon if it's in self-defense.

Last edited by hogger129; 07-21-2009 at 03:16 AM.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You will get denied for that reason...

The "logic" they'll use is, Neighborhood Watch people are not LEO's and are not to confront perps. You are "supposed" to call 911...

Old 07-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

You’re going to get a different answer from every person due to different local rules.

I'm a block captain for the watch in my neighborhood, but here in LA there is no way a normal citizen gets a CCP. Even the NW guys that do a nightly patrol are just to call, and keep moving. Even taking photos is discouraged due to the confrontation that could ensue. My suggestion would be to go to the neighborhood watch meetings and talk to the folks that have been in the group for awhile. Here we have PD representatives at most meetings to answer questions. That way you get the info for the area you’re in.

Good luck and let us know.

Jo

Old 07-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastyofnext View Post
Does neighborhood watch qualify as a good reason to apply for a CCP?

Lately theres been a outbreak of gang shootings around here close to the times when people are coming home from work. At the last tenant meeting there was a question about getting security, but the building owners wanted to raise rent a few hundreds just so people can feel safe. So someone suggested neighborhood watch and is gathering people to help patrol. I'm thinking about helping out but I dont want to "bring a cellphone to a gun fight." I want to be able to protect myself if I have to. So would that go down as a good enough reason to get one?

In case your wondering LEO's dont see this as a high risk area, dispite the 6 shootings in the last few days, plus the seven dead. I guess they choose to pick up after the animals instead.

In NY this is a reason to deny you! I lived in a county which was gun friendly when I got my CCW back in the early 90's, and the issuing officer said - "Now you know that this doesn't give you the right to shoot someone breaking into your house at 3 am?...I could, but I would have a lot of paperwork to fill out.."
In many counties the only reason to request a CCW is if you have your own business and transport large sums of money. And the laws are getting more repressive in NY, not easier.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-22-2009, 01:21 AM   #20

I would say a good reason to carry is self defense. However in the "Peoples Republic of New York" Your supposed to call dial a prayer also known as 911 and hope your body is found alive.