Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Conceal carry question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/conceal-carry-question-15588/)

dynastyofnext 07-10-2009 08:18 PM

Conceal carry question

Does neighborhood watch qualify as a good reason to apply for a CCP?

Lately theres been a outbreak of gang shootings around here close to the times when people are coming home from work. At the last tenant meeting there was a question about getting security, but the building owners wanted to raise rent a few hundreds just so people can feel safe. So someone suggested neighborhood watch and is gathering people to help patrol. I'm thinking about helping out but I dont want to "bring a cellphone to a gun fight." I want to be able to protect myself if I have to. So would that go down as a good enough reason to get one?

In case your wondering LEO's dont see this as a high risk area, dispite the 6 shootings in the last few days, plus the seven dead. I guess they choose to pick up after the animals instead.

Shotgun Shooter 07-10-2009 09:20 PM

I would say yes. I think its a good reason to apply, especially if you're trying to keep not only yourself but others around you safe.

S.S.

matt g 07-10-2009 09:37 PM

You carry large sums of money sometimes. Few LEOs will overlook that reasoning.

WDB 07-10-2009 11:07 PM

Neighborhood watch is a good idea if your neighborhood has seen a spike in crime. I wouldn't use that for a reason to apply for your CCP, as Matt mentioned you carry large sums of money sometimes or keep it vague, personal protection is a good reason, if you have to do an interview or are asked questions to get your premit. Explain the recent increase of crime in your area and explain that you are concerned for your personal safety as well as that of your family. That should keep it simple, if they denied you after you expressed concern for safety due to crime in your area and something happened to you or a family member that would be a nice set up for a cival suite so I expect thay would grant your request. Then again it's NY so who knows.

Good luck

dynastyofnext 07-10-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDB (Post 127382)
Neighborhood watch is a good idea if your neighborhood has seen a spike in crime. I wouldn't use that for a reason to apply for your CCP, as Matt mentioned you carry large sums of money sometimes or keep it vague, personal protection is a good reason, if you have to do an interview or are asked questions to get your premit. Explain the recent increase of crime in your area and explain that you are concerned for your personal safety as well as that of your family. That should keep it simple, if they denied you after you expressed concern for safety due to crime in your area and something happened to you or a family member that would be a nice set up for a cival suite so I expect thay would grant your request. Then again it's NY so who knows.

Good luck

lol yea NY, well thanks for the info.

Shotgun Shooter 07-11-2009 12:09 AM

I know a few people who applied for it and it was denied. Good luck with whatever you decide you want to put. It wont be easy. Again, good luck. :)

S.S.

dynastyofnext 07-11-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter (Post 127426)
I know a few people who applied for it and it was denied. Good luck with whatever you decide you want to put. It wont be easy. Again, good luck. :)

S.S.

Thanks, Hope they approve me.

trex1310 07-11-2009 01:10 AM

I'm so glad that I live in a state where a reason is not necessary. Its assumed you're
getting the ccw for personal safety. You fill out the form, pay $20, they do a background
check, take your picture and you walk out with the permit in 20 minutes.
Bada Bing, Bada Boom

dynastyofnext 07-11-2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trex1310 (Post 127464)
I'm so glad that I live in a state where a reason is not necessary. Its assumed you're
getting the ccw for personal safety. You fill out the form, pay $20, they do a background
Bada Bing, Bada Boom

I wish it was like that here. And I bet crime is very low in your area right?

cameronguyton 07-11-2009 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trex1310 (Post 127464)
Bada Bing, Bada Boom

Now if we could just be able to buy a 40 oz beer on a Sunday, this state would be perfect.