Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Conceal carry for Illinois? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/conceal-carry-illinois-51967/)

winds-of-change 11-17-2011 06:36 AM

Conceal carry for Illinois?
 
I know it is only a matter of time before the stubborn politicians in Illinois must let us conceal carry in this state. I suspect something is going to give........and give pretty soon. I hope if this Illinois H.R. 822 happens, JonM will help me get it all organized to get my conceal carry permit up in Wisconsin. I am already looking for a conceal carry gun. I don't think I would CC very often but there will be some rare occassions when I would like to. Let's hope this is a go for us in Illinois.

I really, really, REALLY think I want an LCR. :D

Rep. Johnson Bill Broadens Conceal-Carry | Publius Forum

aandabooks 11-17-2011 12:56 PM

I'm keeping the faith too. Haven't started looking for a carry gun but if it gets closer to reality, I will have to start shopping.

fmj 11-17-2011 01:03 PM

When IL finally does allow the peasants to CC it will be so watered down as to be virtually useless. Also it will come with high dollar "Training" classes and even more high dollar licensing scheme.

This is the case with most of the Anti-freedom states. Look into CA CCW law. Or NY, Hell even OH law isnt (or wasnt) that good. I havent peeked at it, but i suspect WI is pretty worthless to boot.

Now IN law is great stuff. Lifetime permit, reasonable cost, (if one can consider ANY cost for a constitutional right "reasonable") no classes required, and best of all one can carry ANYWHERE. (unless there is a court room in the building)

neilage66 11-17-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 629801)
I havent peeked at it, but i suspect WI is pretty worthless to boot.

You should peek and see that your assumption is wrong.

Might want to look around here and do some light reading.

WI Department of Justice - Law Enforcement Services

fmj 11-17-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilage66 (Post 629808)
You should peek and see that your assumption is wrong.

Might want to look around here and do some light reading.

WI Department of Justice - Law Enforcement Services

Eeeeasy bro, just saying...if i ever have a chance or need to venture up into your great state i will be sure to read up on the particulars, as i prefaced, what i typed was an assumption....

another good thing about our law here in IN (besides being "shall Issue"). Its state law that ALL municipalities must adhere to CCW laws. We had certain municipalities fiddling with it, passing local law making it illegal to carry in their jurisdiction.

I know of other states where this is the case. I have also read (again, i dunno if y'all got this was resolved up there) but places like Milwaukee were doing something similar.

ANYWHO...back to the OP, when IL puts a CCW on the books you can bet it will be worthless...like pretty much all their gun laws.

JonM 11-17-2011 01:53 PM

The only states that have a more permissive ccw law is the three that require no permit at all. Even then you still have to contend with that idiotic federal 1000 yard gun free school zone law that ensures mass murders have a no risk target rich environment.

Individual cities and municipalities or even counties cannot by wisconsin constitution bypass state laws. So milwaukee cannot just ban guns in milwaukee they must follow state laws

But... in wisconsin the main reason we adopted a permit system was to get around the federal gun free ban. We also have open carry without permit. But without a permit federal law applies.

We do have a training requirement but there is no mandatory hour rule or curriculum. The accepted minimum is an instructer lead gun safety course.

The biggee though thats going to get businesses who post no gun signs is if a business posts no ccw/oc they are legally liable for all damages that occur due to gun violence from criminals. If a business doesnt post they are immune from liability from any gun violence including criminal activity. It puts the onus on the citizen to protect themselves unless the business posts then the business assumes all liability.

So in my estimation even though we do have a permit system we have the best ccw/oc law in the nation.

Wisconsin does not at this time offer out of state permits. For out of staters to carry in wisconsin you must have a permit from a state wisconsin has reciprocity with.

fmj 11-17-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 629842)
The only states that have a more permissive ccw law is the three that require no permit at all. Even then you still have to contend with that idiotic federal 1000 yard gun free school zone law that ensures mass murders have a no risk target rich environment.

Individual cities and municipalities or even counties cannot by wisconsin constitution bypass state laws. So milwaukee cannot just ban guns in milwaukee they must follow state laws

But... in wisconsin the main reason we adopted a permit system was to get around the federal gun free ban. We also have open carry without permit. But without a permit federal law applies.

We do have a training requirement but there is no mandatory hour rule or curriculum. The accepted minimum is an instructer lead gun safety course.

The biggee though thats going to get businesses who post no gun signs is if a business posts no ccw/oc they are legally liable for all damages that occur due to gun violence from criminals. If a business doesnt post they are immune from liability from any gun violence including criminal activity. It puts the onus on the citizen to protect themselves unless the business posts then the business assumes all liability.

So in my estimation even though we do have a permit system we have the best ccw/oc law in the nation.

Wisconsin does not at this time offer out of state permits. For out of staters to carry in wisconsin you must have a permit from a state wisconsin has reciprocity with.

I tried to peek at the particulars but the links all failed. I did notice on the home page the short list of reciprocity....we're not listed. :(

nccinstaller 11-17-2011 02:26 PM

I have an ohio permit and itbwas pretty easy to obtain and not many places u cant carry. It was a one day course cost 100 bucks and then i had about a 2 week wait for my permit to come in. The only places u cant carry is schools, buildings with court rooms, and obviously municipal buildings like police stations etc. They just changed the no place that serves alcohol ban so they really opened up alot more places to carry. And if you just dropping off or picking up a child from school u can leave ur weapon in ur vehicle while u do it.

lonewolf101 11-17-2011 03:41 PM

Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands

these are the States Wisconsin EXCEPTS.

JonM 11-17-2011 03:57 PM

Wisconsin can add more in the future


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.