conceal carry holster
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > conceal carry holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default conceal carry holster

I have been researching holsters..specifically for conceal carry. I know there are many, many types..and I have also read the previous threads regarding carry and location. I guess my question is I see three possible carry options for me. Tuckable iwb at 3 or 4.....ISB...or outside waistband at 3 or 4. it seems that iwb seems to create a large waistline change on the side that it is concealed...but owb in either location has its challenges as there are times I have to tuck in a shirt. Looking for advice from those of you that have way more experience than I as I am soon to get my ccw.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #2

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve
I have been researching holsters..specifically for conceal carry. I know there are many, many types..and I have also read the previous threads regarding carry and location. I guess my question is I see three possible carry options for me. Tuckable iwb at 3 or 4.....ISB...or outside waistband at 3 or 4. it seems that iwb seems to create a large waistline change on the side that it is concealed...but owb in either location has its challenges as there are times I have to tuck in a shirt. Looking for advice from those of you that have way more experience than I as I am soon to get my ccw.
When I first started carrying I used a Blackhawk serpa OWB at 3. With a OWB holster it is harder to conceal. So, I started to do research on IWB and found N82 tactical holsters. I purchased a N82 pro tactical IWB and have never looked back. This holster is very, very comfortable and I love it. I carry my IWB at 4. There are ALOT of holsters out there to choose from and it falls upon you to chose which one you like. We can only give you options and opinions. Here's a pic of both my holsters.

image-3042430727.jpg

image-1955443768.jpg

image-3708958501.jpg

image-393867296.jpg
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

OWB I have several. OWB I have two but only really like 1 of them. Gould 810.
The other is a Bianchi 3S but it just doesn't feel right with the one big belt snap and the idea of a thumb break doesn't really work for me in an IWB.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here's my preference. I like one small, light and comfortable that still keeps my gun secure. I have one similar for my .45.

imag1151.jpg  

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Here's what I use (Galco summer comfort) but I definitely like that N82 tactical and might just upgrade soon.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=3611&GunID=50

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #6

Liked 409 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A lot depends on your build, how you dress and what your EDC will be. IWB's the best way to conceal, but is a PITA. Always poking and jabbing. OWB is much more comfortable, but anything larger than a J Frame will print big time. These are my personal opinions from my experience. Yours and others will surely differ. To the question. IWB, a Crossbreed Super Tuck. OWB, Galco Combat Master. Both at 4 o'clock.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I am 6ft 215 (lol winter weight) and am larger in the waist area so I worry that IWB will be noticeable to those that know me and see me daily.

At this point I would carry a SW SD40VE but ultimately will have two other options (shield and a pocket pistol) to choose from in the next year.

I have a feeling that I will not know until I fork over the cash to try a couple of quality holsters for both methods.

Out of curiosity, no one mentioned an OWB ISB....any particular reason?

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I second the post of Fathead00!

N82 Tactical, it's secure , even on the bike!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #9

Liked 409 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Everybody new to concealed carry is absolutely sure people will know they're packing. They won't. People unfamiliar won't know what to look for. If you're like most of us here, you'll wind up with a box full of holsters before it's all said and done.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:51 AM   #10

Donn- thanks to this forum..I hope the box full ends up not being the case. I am still getting comfortable carrying. Currently I am using a Blackhawk ambi nylon just to get used to it. That has certainly taught me the value of a good holster but it does the job on my property for now.

-AP

― Thomas Jefferson

― Alexander Hamilton