conceal carry and driving...what do you do. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > conceal carry and driving...what do you do.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

First thing you did wrong was carry IWB. Just kidding! When I started carrying, I didn't even consider IWB because I could barely get me in my pants! I prefered to spend my money on ammo, rather than new clothes.

I opted for cross-draw because I do a lot of sitting. It's easy to draw, when sitting, even in a vehicle with seat belt buckled & whether driving or as a passenger. You do need to be sure your cover garment isn't trapped by the seat belt. I usually leave my cover open in front so I can reach through, rather than have to raise it.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #22

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDMIST89

mine is more of a..gun stabbing my back or stomach/leg as i drive problem..my current holster would work great for a compack or even a med gun but stupid me bought it for a fullsize
I had that problem too...but the real reason i switched to a blackhawk paddle was because i had to chase my dog in the yard once and my belt clip holster unclipped dropping my 1911 in the mud. My wife and i were getting ready to go out for dinner. Needless to say i pushed dinner back awhile because i wasnt going out unarmed and i wasnt going with a wet pistol either.

I figured it was time to quit going cheap and get a decent holster. But in hindsight, i shouldve done it in the first place because the blackhawk only 10 bucks more than the belt clipper.

Also itll come with two little plastic "teeth", these snap into the paddle and keep it in place between your belt and pants. I dont use them because i slide the holster in the waistband of my pants because i only have one pair of pants with the proper spacing between belt loops , plus it allows me to get my 4 o'clock position.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 04-19-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

For me, comfort isn't the issue. I carry an XDM with a 4.5" barrel IWB, and it's comfortable when I sit down, but when I drive, the seat belt would hamper my draw.

So I take it out of the holster and put it in the center console when I'm driving. Make sure that's legal in your state. It's legal here in Florida whether you have a concealed weapon license or not, as long as the console has a latch. No lock required, and the gun can be loaded and ready to go.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #24

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Something else to consider, is getting a cheap nylon holster from Academy & practice with it in different positions. Used to be able to get one for about $10. It isn't a good carry holster, but is ambidextrous, can mount for vertical or horizontal draw, so you can carry anywhere on your belt & see what works best for you.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

You might consider carrying a compact gun (not a "mouse gun") concealed in a belt holster, and also having a bigger gun in the console or glove box of your vehicle. That way, while you are in your vehicle it will be easier to grab the gun from the console, but if you get out of the vehicle you will have the compact concealed gun in case of a "close encounter".

Old 04-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You might try repositioning where you wear your ITWB setup. I've found that if I wear mine (S&W M&P 45) a little farther to the rear, it becomes a little more comfortable. But, as much as anything, one just has to get use to it.

O.S.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I carry a SR9C in an outside the waist band paddle holster. I wear it at exactly 4:00 as everyone else already stated, because it works with me seat belt. I only wear it for short drives of say no more than ½ or so. If I am longer than that I slip it into the center console into another holster that is secured into the console. When I stop to get out, I undue my seat belt open the center console and slip it back into the paddle holster. I have become accustomed to doing it. It’s far enough below the site line in my truck for anyone to see unless they are being really nosey.
I practiced a bit and I am unable to draw from a seated position with my seat belt on without turning into a pretzel, I’m a big guy and it made more sense to me to slip it into the console. Because if I had to get at it quickly at a stop, I would be in trouble. Seat belt makes for cumbersome access. Good luck to you.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
As soon as i get in my car or sit down its uncomfortable,i drove to the store yesterday and it was awkward..
so ik alot of you carry fullsize guns(1911's etc) so tell me how do you do it while driving?
My general rule of thumb is to always carry in the same place. In the car that isn't comfortable with a longer barrel. If I know I'm going to be in the car for any length of time I will put my primary carry in a cross-draw position. Now, since I don't want to be grabbing nothing but air in a tight spot, I'll stick a snubby on the right side. Sometimes muscle memory can bite you in the butt, and this is one of those times. With the BUG in my primary carry position I at least have something that goes bang in my hand, even if it isn't my first choice.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #29

Likes Given: 2

well as of late what ive done is take it out of my IBW holster n set it by my seat n center council..its hidden and still accessable,i can currently afford a new holster but with current expensises(car rental for a unexpected death in the fam in ny :/)..its outta the question as of now..but soon as i have disposable income i will be getting a decent carry holster.

and for the suggestion of buying a smaller more easily concealable gun,i do want to do that,id like a compact .40cal or 9mm really,but as said thats a "when $ allows" thing.

S&W sigma 9mm
Savage arms .22 long rifle,w/ scope(had since 14)
you can take my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers..┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Attempting to give a f*ck: ███████████████████] 99% Complete... ERROR!: Unable to give a f*ck.
"Im gonna be that guy that has the room full of guns/knifes and enough ammo to out last the oncoming zombie apocalypse :D"-ME

Last edited by REDMIST89; 04-25-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #30

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDMIST89
well as of late what ive done is take it out of my IBW holster n set it by my seat n center council..its hidden and still accessable,i can currently afford a new holster but with current expensises(car rental for a unexpected death in the fam in ny :/)..its outta the question as of now..but soon as i have disposable income i will be getting a decent carry holster.

and for the suggestion of buying a smaller more easily concealable gun,i do want to do that,id like a compact .40cal or 9mm really,but as said thats a "when $ allows" thing.
Check out tommy theis holsters when your ready, iwb comparable to crossbreed super tuck, but half the price, great warranty, handmade, great reviews.