conceal carry and driving...what do you do.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > conceal carry and driving...what do you do.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default conceal carry and driving...what do you do.

recently i started carrying,its a fullsize S&W sw9ve in a inside the pants holster i got from a local gun place.When walking its perfectly fine and no one can see it.As soon as i get in my car or sit down its uncomfortable,i drove to the store yesterday and it was awkward..
so ik alot of you carry fullsize guns(1911's etc) so tell me how do you do it while driving? ive had the suggestions of
A) take of off in the car,put it back on after but that ruins the idea of conceal carry...as one could witness you putting the gun on
B) buying a smaller gun,this i sorta agree with but the $ right now is sayin use what i got

S&W sigma 9mm
Savage arms .22 long rifle,w/ scope(had since 14)
you can take my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers..┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Attempting to give a f*ck: ███████████████████] 99% Complete... ERROR!: Unable to give a f*ck.
"Im gonna be that guy that has the room full of guns/knifes and enough ammo to out last the oncoming zombie apocalypse :D"-ME

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #2

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Buy a blackhawk serpa paddle hoslter....they are molded to fit your specific pistol and most are 30 to 45 bucks. I used to use a cheap belt clip holster and found it very uncomfortable, walking and while sitting in the truck. With my blackhawk holster i sometimes forget my fullsize 1911 is there and have to check.

My dad recently got his handgun permit here in indiana and he also got a blackhawk serpa, he carries a ruger p89 9mm and he loves his too.

Also, it makes it a little more comfy to slide it around to about the 4 o'clock position (im assuming you carry your pistol on your right side as i do). I drive an F150 and a dodge dakota both have flip up center console storage compartments so they dont get in the way. At a 4 o'clock position it doesnt bang into the console in my wifes explorer.

Also, you can adjust the draw angle (not sure of the real term) on the blackhawk holster. I have mine tilted as far forward as it will go. This also helps with the comfyness when riding in a car/truck.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 04-18-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #3

Liked 427 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Buy a blackhawk serpa paddle hoslter....they are molded to fit your specific pistol and most are 30 to 45 bucks. I used to use a cheap belt clip holster and found it very uncomfortable, walking and while sitting in the truck. With my blackhawk holster i sometimes forget my fullsize 1911 is there and have to check.

My dad recently got his handgun permit here in indiana and he also got a blackhawk serpa, he carries a ruger p89 9mm and he loves his too.
+1 this was gonna be my suggestion.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Heres one like mine, only difference is mine is black

410503od-r_1.jpg

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Here's mine, not serpa but it's a dam good holster.

image-3039147813.jpg  

Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts

If you drive a lot more than your out of a vehicle, than maybe a shoulder rig may an option. That's how I carry most of the time. Plus way easier to draw when seated and seat belt on. Just a suggestion.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
If you drive a lot more than your out of a vehicle, than maybe a shoulder rig may an option. That's how I carry most of the time. Plus way easier to draw when seated and seat belt on. Just a suggestion.
i currently have a belt clip sleeve like inside the pants holster that ive been wearing at about 3.5-4 o'clock,and its comfortable while walking,etc but it stabs my back when i sit in my car
@ Bear304inc-i dont really drive that much these days,the occasional road trip to NY to see family but mostly its to the local cities for what ever reason or to work and thats about it. i did look at shoulder rigs though, but im a T shirt guy most of the time,occasionally a button up over it or a hoodie if its cooler out but to me a shoulder rig doesnt really work with that attire.
@ dragunovsks/rifleman1/PlaysWithZombies- And i will look at those holsters mentioned once friday rolls around(aka pay day) see what they have for my pistol. I do have a question though about them,this may sound stupid but the ones pictured are belt mount holsters?? correct me if i am wrong plz

S&W sigma 9mm
Attempting to give a f*ck: ███████████████████] 99% Complete... ERROR!: Unable to give a f*ck.
"Im gonna be that guy that has the room full of guns/knifes and enough ammo to out last the oncoming zombie apocalypse :D"-ME

Old 04-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #8

Liked 1907 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

I like my blackhawk too. I dont like inside the waistband anyway though.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #9

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I have a Galco IWB holster for my Glock 19 and believe it or not, driving is when its most comfortable. I have a Blackhawk paddle holster for my 1911 and can't drive with it on comfortably. Maybe its just me.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:11 AM   #10

lol im just lookin for a good happy medium between comfort outside the car and inside the car,n id not like to have a box full of wasted $ holdsters

S&W sigma 9mm