Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   conceal carry and driving...what do you do. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/conceal-carry-driving-what-do-you-do-62797/)

REDMIST89 04-18-2012 05:29 PM

conceal carry and driving...what do you do.

recently i started carrying,its a fullsize S&W sw9ve in a inside the pants holster i got from a local gun place.When walking its perfectly fine and no one can see it.As soon as i get in my car or sit down its uncomfortable,i drove to the store yesterday and it was awkward..
so ik alot of you carry fullsize guns(1911's etc) so tell me how do you do it while driving? ive had the suggestions of
A) take of off in the car,put it back on after but that ruins the idea of conceal carry...as one could witness you putting the gun on
B) buying a smaller gun,this i sorta agree with but the $ right now is sayin use what i got

dragunovsks 04-18-2012 06:28 PM

Buy a blackhawk serpa paddle hoslter....they are molded to fit your specific pistol and most are 30 to 45 bucks. I used to use a cheap belt clip holster and found it very uncomfortable, walking and while sitting in the truck. With my blackhawk holster i sometimes forget my fullsize 1911 is there and have to check.

My dad recently got his handgun permit here in indiana and he also got a blackhawk serpa, he carries a ruger p89 9mm and he loves his too.

Also, it makes it a little more comfy to slide it around to about the 4 o'clock position (im assuming you carry your pistol on your right side as i do). I drive an F150 and a dodge dakota both have flip up center console storage compartments so they dont get in the way. At a 4 o'clock position it doesnt bang into the console in my wifes explorer.

Also, you can adjust the draw angle (not sure of the real term) on the blackhawk holster. I have mine tilted as far forward as it will go. This also helps with the comfyness when riding in a car/truck.

rifleman1 04-18-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 774781)
Buy a blackhawk serpa paddle hoslter....they are molded to fit your specific pistol and most are 30 to 45 bucks. I used to use a cheap belt clip holster and found it very uncomfortable, walking and while sitting in the truck. With my blackhawk holster i sometimes forget my fullsize 1911 is there and have to check.

My dad recently got his handgun permit here in indiana and he also got a blackhawk serpa, he carries a ruger p89 9mm and he loves his too.

+1 this was gonna be my suggestion.

dragunovsks 04-18-2012 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres one like mine, only difference is mine is black

Attachment 43961

PlaysWithZombies 04-18-2012 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine, not serpa but it's a dam good holster.

Bear304inc 04-18-2012 06:58 PM

If you drive a lot more than your out of a vehicle, than maybe a shoulder rig may an option. That's how I carry most of the time. Plus way easier to draw when seated and seat belt on. Just a suggestion.

REDMIST89 04-19-2012 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear304inc (Post 774813)
If you drive a lot more than your out of a vehicle, than maybe a shoulder rig may an option. That's how I carry most of the time. Plus way easier to draw when seated and seat belt on. Just a suggestion.

i currently have a belt clip sleeve like inside the pants holster that ive been wearing at about 3.5-4 o'clock,and its comfortable while walking,etc but it stabs my back when i sit in my car
@ Bear304inc-i dont really drive that much these days,the occasional road trip to NY to see family but mostly its to the local cities for what ever reason or to work and thats about it. i did look at shoulder rigs though, but im a T shirt guy most of the time,occasionally a button up over it or a hoodie if its cooler out but to me a shoulder rig doesnt really work with that attire.
@ dragunovsks/rifleman1/PlaysWithZombies- And i will look at those holsters mentioned once friday rolls around(aka pay day) see what they have for my pistol. I do have a question though about them,this may sound stupid but the ones pictured are belt mount holsters?? correct me if i am wrong plz

Rick1967 04-19-2012 03:58 AM

I like my blackhawk too. I dont like inside the waistband anyway though.

sputnik1988 04-19-2012 04:09 AM

I have a Galco IWB holster for my Glock 19 and believe it or not, driving is when its most comfortable. I have a Blackhawk paddle holster for my 1911 and can't drive with it on comfortably. Maybe its just me.

REDMIST89 04-19-2012 04:11 AM

lol im just lookin for a good happy medium between comfort outside the car and inside the car,n id not like to have a box full of wasted $ holdsters