Conceal carry changed my life - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Conceal carry changed my life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
This was my entire point during the zimmerman escapades in florida. He went above and beyound to insert himself in someone elses business yet was lauded a "hero" when he used his firearm to extricate himself from a situation he alone created...

In general an armed society is a polite one but when you have a manchild going armed and acting like a douche your going to have incidents. When it occurs the rest of us can't treat such behaviour as heroic.
You might want to look at what folder you're in before you bring up Zimmy. If the caca starts flying, it's all your fault.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #22

Liked 2515 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Do SOME people become more mature because one is now carrying a gun?
Or do SOME people decide to carry a gun because they've become more mature?
This is the best way I can explain it.

I used to be from NJ. When I left to live here

permanently, I left all the rude, nasty, bad attitude

behind, in NJ. Because if I brought it with me, then Florida would

turn into NJ; hence, it would have been pointless to move.

My call is it would seem the former, as I try, in all social situations,

to be more polite, and hospitable, to all. First, I would prefer to

mentor Dixie Hospitality in my new home state. Second, I hold myself

to a higher social standard than others, by virtue of being a gun

owner, and CCW.

Others may or may not hold in their hands the power of a firearm, but,

IMHO, if I carry this mantle, it is also up to me to attempt to raise society's

bar of propriety and civility to a more utopian level. Otherwise, I am no better

than the anti-gunners, who also talk on, but do nothing to make the world a better

place for those around us.

It's time to let those who may not properly deserve

it to get into the line in front of you, hold the door for others, and

help those struggling in the day to day grind. I remember well when

I was in their shoes, and how much a stranger's kind word, or assistance,

meant to me, then.

Last edited by therewolf; 02-27-2014 at 04:27 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #23
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Permit to rephase myself:

Do SOME people become more mature because one is now carrying a gun?
Or do SOME people decide to carry a gun because they've become more mature?

Thank you.
As with anything in life, different people have to handle it in different ways. Some are so quick to anger, quick to brag (brandishing) and/or irresponsible that they have to gain maturity before considering serious CCW. However, there are those raised responsible and mature that can start responsibly carrying the day they hear of it. However, I believe BOTH groups mature further as they actually carry a gun in public. Flipping the bird to the guy that cut you off in traffic is no big deal when the worst you can do is yell back at him. When you see flipping the bird as possibly escalating into taking his life and spending the next five years in court defending the action, the brain tends to anger much more slowly and cools before any action is taken. Therefore, while people start CCW at different points in life and temperaments, the vast responsibility of it makes everyone mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
I'm new to carrying.

I knew before I started carrying I had accepted the responsibility that goes with CC and at the same time decided to completely stop drinking (didn't drink much but beer, almost never hard liquor). It was easy to give it up. I love Dos Equis with Mexican food but I just won't do it again.

I enjoy Sports Bars...the crowd (to an extent), lights, music, glass, mirrors and watching people but I can still enjoy but without alcohol.

Shift of topic: What do you think the anti's would say if they read a thread like this? Think they would believe us?
Everyone has a different temperament with alcohol. I know people who are much more stable on hard liquor than they are with a few beers! But anyone that suspects they can not be 100% sure of their judgement with a gun hand are well-advised to separate the gun from the alcohol by either not carrying while drinking or vice-versa. Congrats on your choice, Witt, very mature. . And the fact that you can go to a bar and not drink shows strength of will...or is that strength of Witt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Famous quote from one of Robert Heinlein's works- "An armed society is a polite society."

You SHOULD feel that you have a duty to hold YOURSELF to a higher standard of behavior than others.

Years back, grandmunchkin had a friend staying over- I was taking them out to eat. Little 7 yr old noted my carry as I was putting on my jacket. She asked the grandmunchkin "Why does your Grampa wear a gun?" Grandmunchkin looked at her, rolled eyes the way only a young girl can, said "Silly! 'Cause he is the grownup."
The perception of a young child. Make sure as she gets older that she doesn't think gun=maturity - there's still the occasional yahoo.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 02-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #24

Liked 1743 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
. . . . However, I believe BOTH groups mature further as they actually carry a gun in public. . . .
One would hope, but I fear one would be wrong. . . May I introduce you to You Tube?

I suspect there may be the same maturity evolution rate bell curve among CC holders as among the general population. Perhaps it depends on the state's CC procedures.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #25

Liked 2515 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

There have been a couple incidents recently,

in the media, where it at least appeared that

some folks were carrying a chip on their shoulder

because of a CCW.

In particular, the retired cop who shot somebody in

a movie theater over cell-phone use, and the guy

who shot a teenager at a convenience store, because

his car stereo was too loud. These guys seemed, by

at least what we were told by the media, to be

out to pick a fight, and shoot somebody on the

flimsiest provocation...

Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #26

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Its been three years now carrying. Was not long after I began carrying I noticed a change in me. I drove my car slower, more polite, and more courteous and much more tolerant of others in traffic. I Also noted I was a lot more friendly and more courteous to people in general. I have always been an outgoing person, but even more so now days. Any of you experience any of these carry symptoms?
Yep. Carrying a gun is not only a right, it's a HUGE responsibility. It tends to change your attitude toward everything in a very positive way. It's a shame the liberal left and the media (one and the same) can't understand that 99.99% of gun owners are law abiding citizens and undergo this exact same change or feeling. But I suspect that even if they did, they would still lie about it to further their anti-gun agenda.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #27

Liked 1743 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

I don't know. . . I think, if you think, that carrying is a "HUGH" responsibility, you were pretty responsibile to begin with. I don't know that everyone does, at least many don't act like it.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #28
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

I carry not to start a situation, but to stop one if needed.

I will go to extremes to avoid problems, but if a problem cannot be avoided, I want to have an answer for it.

Yes, I've changed, but the change was taking place prior to my getting the CWP.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

towboater Likes This 
Old 02-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
As an example of "high ground," Massad Ayoob once suggested carrying a $20 wrapped around a matchbook at all times. When confronted by a possible attacker or attackers, he suggests throwing this down and stating, "We don't want any problems. Let me buy you guys a round of drinks." This shows you went above and beyond in trying to avoid the encounter to everyone involved, especially if it comes to having to harm someone.
I agree with doing everything you (reasonably) can do to avoid/deescalate a situation, but wouldn't that just be rewarding bad behavior? It might actually encourage further bad behavior in the future. "I got that last guy to buy me drinks when I threatened him, I bet I can get the next guy to do it too".

Old 02-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
You might want to look at what folder you're in before you bring up Zimmy. If the caca starts flying, it's all your fault.
I know but it's a perfect example of example of how not to conduct oneself with a firearm. It was also wide spread support of this jackhole who should be sitting in prison for manslaughter...tons of ccw instructors and folks who carry support his actions.

I just find that dichotomy disturbing

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...