Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Conceal carry changed my life (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/conceal-carry-changed-my-life-104534/)

Dearhunter 02-27-2014 03:33 AM

Conceal carry changed my life

Its been three years now carrying. Was not long after I began carrying I noticed a change in me. I drove my car slower, more polite, and more courteous and much more tolerant of others in traffic. I Also noted I was a lot more friendly and more courteous to people in general. I have always been an outgoing person, but even more so now days. Any of you experience any of these carry symptoms?

Jagermeister 02-27-2014 03:39 AM

German gov expects gun owners to be good citizens. Only police and hunters are seen with guns in public. We are given trust. So yes, I am a saint. Do not want to lose the privilege of gun ownership.

Rick1967 02-27-2014 03:55 AM

Carrying a gun is a massive responsibility. When we decide to do it we must grow up and stop acting like children. Someone that carries should never give someone the finger or pick a fight in any way. I am glad to hear that you have figured it out too. Too bad that there are still some of us out there that still don't know how to act like grown ups.

Tackleberry1 02-27-2014 04:45 AM

Concel carry changed my life

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearhunter (Post 1517585)
Its been three years now carrying. Was not long after I began carrying I noticed a change in me. I drove my car slower, more polite, and more courteous and much more tolerant of others in traffic. I Also noted I was a lot more friendly and more courteous to people in general. I have always been an outgoing person, but even more so now days. Any of you experience any of these carry symptoms?

Very common... Every gun toter I know gets more polite while armed. It's the reality of the legal ****storm we all know we'd face if we ever had to use it.

Personally... The only armed folks who concern me are the ones who don't experience this.

Tack

DrFootball 02-27-2014 05:03 AM

Concel carry changed my life

I was just Telling MzGrn today in the Escape( after leaving H&R Block) that we need to work even harder at avoiding "issues". So what happens? An old women needs to make a turn into the Lot were leaving out of and stops dead in front of us and stares at us like were from Jupiter. I wasn't the one cursing....;-)

Edit: Issues!!
Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

therewolf 02-27-2014 05:39 AM

I find it helps, especially in the winter. The seniors and snowbirds are

inconsiderate, slow, and demonstrate signs of ignorance,

arrogance, memory issues, and stupidity. They just flit about,

rudely unmindful of others. Patience is a shopworn virtue down

here.

TekGreg 02-27-2014 05:44 AM

If you are aware of the awesome responsibility that carrying a weapon has, it is not surprising that each person would recognize a fundamental change in attitude after doing it for a while. While there is the legal aspect of it, we also realize the morality of taking someone's life. If we do nothing to provoke a person and are attacked anyway, then we have the moral high ground to LEO, prosecutors and ourselves. But when you are involved in inciting or escalating a situation, everything becomes a different shade of grey and we wonder just how much of it was our fault.

As an example of "high ground," Massad Ayoob once suggested carrying a $20 wrapped around a matchbook at all times. When confronted by a possible attacker or attackers, he suggests throwing this down and stating, "We don't want any problems. Let me buy you guys a round of drinks." This shows you went above and beyond in trying to avoid the encounter to everyone involved, especially if it comes to having to harm someone.

Congratulations on being self-aware of your transformation. I'm sure it will help you in many other walks of life. And, it's amazing that a gun could make us all better people, isn't it? Well, everyone except MountainMan...:eek: :cool:

Gatoragn 02-27-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 1517652)
I find it helps, especially in the winter. The seniors and snowbirds are

inconsiderate, slow, and demonstrate signs of ignorance,

arrogance, memory issues, and stupidity. They just flit about,

rudely unmindful of others. Patience is a shopworn virtue down

here.

Sounds like requirements for residing in The Villages. ;)

eatmydust 02-27-2014 10:16 AM

Just last week, I mentioned to my wife that I find myself biting my tongue more often and being very calm behind the wheel, when I carry concealed. There is no need to have minor things escalate to a point of no return, IMO.

Vincine 02-27-2014 11:16 AM

Which comes first?
Does one become more mature because one is now carrying a gun?
Or does decide to carry a gun because they've become more mature?

Me thinks chicken & egg.