Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Colt Mustang 380 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/colt-mustang-380-a-86763/)

LandMonster 03-17-2013 05:03 PM

Colt Mustang 380

Anyone have experience with this little pocket pistol. I handled it in my LGS and was impressed. I am a 1911 fan so this struck a chord.

This is not a 1911 however and the lack of a grip safety has me a little worried. In a pocket I can easily see the thumb safety getting switched off. Then all the stands between me and a bad day is a short throw single action trigger.

Maybe a pocket holster with a cover on the thumb safety?

mountainman13 03-17-2013 05:06 PM

I always recommend a pocket holster. It's all you need to make sure the booger picker (or keys etc.) stay off the boom switch. No need for other safeties. People rely entirely too much on safeties.

SSGN_Doc 03-17-2013 05:38 PM

I like Sigs version better.

pilotmedic 03-17-2013 05:43 PM

I loved mine! Sold it in 99. I used to carry it in concerts or out and about in the summer. Easily concealable and works great in or out of a holster. Wish I had it back ... My full size HK is too big to summer-carry and my compact Taurus is not-too easily concealed. G26 or G33 is going to eventually be my next summer gun when I stop buying rifles.

jackrich3 03-17-2013 06:02 PM

I own an FI mod. D, (Colt Pony Auto). Resembles a miniature 1911, cool looking but not very reliable. FTFs and sloppy slide. I may try to have it tightened up, I don't know

BeyondTheBox 03-18-2013 03:23 AM

I find the thumb safeties only get flicked of during entry and exit of pocket, never while in. So don't worry about that, just check is still engaged once holstered and you'll be good to go.

nitestalker 03-18-2013 03:42 AM

I have carried a Colt Mustang Plus II for many years. I carry mine in a Don Hume Yauqi slide. I would not carry any handgun lose in a pocket. There is a chance that lint dirt etc. can disable a pistol.:(

indy36 03-18-2013 03:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the Colt looks nice. I carry the Sig every day.

Attachment 91224

treehugger49 03-18-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandMonster (Post 1179472)
Anyone have experience with this little pocket pistol. I handled it in my LGS and was impressed. I am a 1911 fan so this struck a chord.

This is not a 1911 however and the lack of a grip safety has me a little worried. In a pocket I can easily see the thumb safety getting switched off. Then all the stands between me and a bad day is a short throw single action trigger.

A good pocket holster with the trigger covered is what you need. A Galco PRO 460 or 608 fits the Sig P238, identical to the Mustang for all intents and purposes.

RustyShackleford101 03-19-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandMonster

Well, I've shot this gun quite a bit and carried it quite a bit. If you use a holster for it, you're fine. Do not just drop it in your pocket, hosterless. I've always been a big fan of single action, small carry guns. It's a good product.