Clothing opinions: Blend in or Stick out??? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Clothing opinions: Blend in or Stick out???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Concealed carry

If you're exposing your weapon in any manner it's not concealed anymore. I go to great lengths to keep mine undercover. I'm constantly trying different ways to carry mine to find which conceals best but at the same time allows easy access. Since I make my own holsters it doesn't cost me anything to try different methods.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #52

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Showing is brandishing where I live. It's illegal. I go to great lengths to hide my full size XDM45. However, it is always available and could be "accidentally" seen if necessary. Once at a gas station, I pulled in, and there was a young black man with a hoodie (sorry, I can't help but notice stereotypes) just standing around in the fuel pump area. I'm thinking he's waiting for an unsuspecting woman whose purse he can grab, because as I stepped out, he moved away (I'm not a woman), but he continued loitering. There were no other cars there, so he was not waiting for someone.

In this extremely rare case, I "allowed" the wind to blow my Hawaiian style shirt up, exposing the top of the XDM above the IWB holster. He noticed and immediately turned and walked away down the street. To reiterate, this was clearly not someone who was going to call the police and say there is someone brandishing a gun at the gas station. Normally, I would never let circumstances expose my gun.

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #53

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've changed my position on this...
Here in lovely Indiana we are issued a 'gun license', giving us the right to carry a firearm. No mention of Open or Concealed.

When I first got my license, I went to the local PD and asked them what they preferred I do, because I didn't want to create any issues for them(or me!).
Their response was, "We understand that you can carry openly, but we sure would appreciate it if you carried concealed, just to not scare the sheeple." His exact words. I said fine, and I've been carrying one of the Commanders semi-concealed with a Milt Sparks Versa MaxII ever since.

But ever since the current administration has given 'power to the people', and 'emboldened the criminal element', I have witnessed a distinct level of arrogance from a certain segment of our society.

Now please understand, I used to work in the shipyards with some shady characters, so I can spot a 'probable threat' fairly easily. And, I'm seeing more 'probable threats' everyday.

So now, I still carry the 1911 in the MS VMII... I just don't worry about what 'the sheeple' think anymore. I have spoken with our LEOs about this and most seem to agree that the 'streets are changing', and they have no problem with me and my quite visible MS VMII.
I plan to continue to carry everyday, and dress according to my appointments... Some with a tie and jacket, some in a polo shirt.
So there's another point of view... YMMV
All the best,
TJ

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm.
"Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?"
"No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #54

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderJack View Post
I've changed my position on this...
Here in lovely Indiana we are issued a 'gun license', giving us the right to carry a firearm. No mention of Open or Concealed.

When I first got my license, I went to the local PD and asked them what they preferred I do, because I didn't want to create any issues for them(or me!).
Their response was, "We understand that you can carry openly, but we sure would appreciate it if you carried concealed, just to not scare the sheeple." His exact words. I said fine, and I've been carrying one of the Commanders semi-concealed with a Milt Sparks Versa MaxII ever since.

But ever since the current administration has given 'power to the people', and 'emboldened the criminal element', I have witnessed a distinct level of arrogance from a certain segment of our society.

Now please understand, I used to work in the shipyards with some shady characters, so I can spot a 'probable threat' fairly easily. And, I'm seeing more 'probable threats' everyday.

So now, I still carry the 1911 in the MS VMII... I just don't worry about what 'the sheeple' think anymore. I have spoken with our LEOs about this and most seem to agree that the 'streets are changing', and they have no problem with me and my quite visible MS VMII.
I plan to continue to carry everyday, and dress according to my appointments... Some with a tie and jacket, some in a polo shirt.
So there's another point of view... YMMV
All the best,
TJ
/ I carry every time I go to town, I would venture to say that the gas pumps would be an ideal place for a purse snatcher to try his luck. Last Saturday we were gassing up at the local gas pumps and there was a young black man in a hoodie at the pump across from us, he walked around his car several times while my wife was fueling our truck meanwhile I kept a close eye on him. The only reason his behavior alerted me is that this was at our local convemnience store which is about ten miles from town & right off the interstate so we get some unsavory characters there occasionally. The store itself has been robbed twice in the past ten years each time by someone coming off the interstate.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #55

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
My thoughts are everyone will know I'm carrying when they see the muzzle flash. First option or opportunity leave. Second, deescalate or diffuse. Given no other choice, if the situation offers no other option....
I agree... And my wife carrys her weapon as if she is a diamond back rattler.... She has no problem with shaking her rattles first ... And knowing this little fireball that would deture ... Any second guessing attacker ... And for the dumb one that still advances... Vio condios... Lol

Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #56

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I want no one to know I'm carrying - - - If a BG is intent on mayhem and sees you are carrying you are the first target - - - if you have the element of suprise you are much more likely to have a good outcome!

Once wihile in civilian clothes I was in the waiting room at the hospital my wife chose to deliver our kids in. Someone thought I was armed, I was - - - and they had security come to remove me - - - I showed my ID as a deupty sheriff from the next county and they had the nerve to ask me to remove my weapon to ease the minds of the others in the hospital. I politely told the security guard he needed to contact the local law enforcement to get a clear set of guidelines.

Bottom line is I continued with my life as normal and if someone there was offended I was sorry but my job was to protect even their sorry butt!

I have become much better at concealing and without a good pat down I doubt you could tell now.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #57

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just a quick side note if I may... We're all dealing with this threat of gun confiscation and other stupid ideas, and part of my 'change' has to do with my response to that idiocy.
I'm old, angry, and have a 2lb trigger on the Colt. I'm quite willing to confront rather than comply...
Thanks for the forebearance...
TJ

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm.
"Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?"
"No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #58

[QUOTE="TraderJack;1076564"]Just a quick side note if I may... We're all dealing with this threat of gun confiscation and other stupid ideas, and part of my 'change' has to do with my response to that idiocy.
I'm old, angry, and have a 2lb trigger on the Colt. I'm quite willing to confront rather than comply...
Thanks for the forebearance...
TJ[/QUOTE

Amen brother I'm with you

Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #59

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

They're confronting us about our rights, with no regard for what authority they actually have. It seems appropriate to confront people who are out of line. So I have no issue open carrying even for the sake of open carrying. I've done it before to great personal cost and will continue to do it.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
TraderJack Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #60

TCan,

I see your point ... I myself carry both concealed and open ... I live in an open carry state ....