Clothing opinions: Blend in or Stick out??? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Clothing opinions: Blend in or Stick out???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

There are subtleties that some criminals look at, such as how you carry yourself, what you wear, what accessories you have, etc. Its all really no-brainer stuff. Do you look confident, do you seem to be paying attention to whats around you, are you carrying a bag that may contain valuables (purse, wallet/id, laptop, camera), what kind of car are you walking from/to, clothes, jewelry, are you maybe armed? They typically want easy targets with possible good payout vs risk. Before i started to cc, i always carried a pocket knife (liner lock), one time while on my laptop at Seattle center, i was approached. I stayed calm, didnt make any sudden movements (though i had my knfe open and ready by the time he got to me), but i didnt use it or even let him know i had it, i "chatted" with him as he asked if i was a computer programmer and had money i could spare, i showed him that my laptop was old and beat up, that all i had were a couple quarters (he didnt need to know about my wallet) and i told him i was out of work, when he mentioned my "nice" clothes i replied "thrft store" , it was all pretty quick, less than a minute, he wouldnt let me finish what i was saying in response to his final question when he simply walked off. Being aware, and remaining calm and intelligent are what will save your bacon, it helps if you have a useful defense tool in conjunction.

Last edited by phildenton; 01-03-2013 at 12:38 PM.
tCan Likes This 
Old 01-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #42

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Personally, I think walking around with a "tactical", defensive mindset 24/7 and wearing plain clothes and driving a plain looking car, etc, just isn't a life worth living...

Just stay in shape, workout, lift weights, do some CrossFit, eat lots of protein, eat healthy, live an (interesting) active lifestyle and just take care of your body in general. And while you're at it, take some (practical and fun) martial arts classes (like Krav Maga - which will also help you stay in shape), avoid the "obama supporter" parts of town (aka the ghetto...), take some tactical pistol classes and carry a firearm (and a tactical knife - like the Cold Steel AK-47) if the worst still happens anyway...

And oh yeah, vote for politicians who won't turn your towns into 3rd world ghettos in the first place so you won't have to worry about being mugged and assaulted when walking about...

Last edited by Yuckers; 01-01-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #43
Kai

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I trained staff for positions in a juvenile secure treatment facility. One part of my training was dealing with "context".
Example: wearing a football uniform to a wedding or wake...you would be out of context and everyone would either look at you or hear about it.
I trained staff to look for the little out of context hints that may be the precursor to an escape attempt...wearing layers of clothing, etc...or a suicide attempt....careless about appearance, hygiene, etc...

I dress to blend in. Here in Northern NY that means little to nothing though hehehe. Wearing cammy clothing, jacket, hat, etc. is normal wear generally. Not for a formal occasion for in general. I'm also within a few miles of Fort Drum so if I chose to wear military clothing every day I'd not attract notice other than my grey beard being out of "context" for the average soldier.

I do notice, or try to as a game to keep skills sharp, as much as I can about people around me. It is interesting. I have never seen a concealed weapon showing so I guess people up here are either better at it or I am not as skilled as I think I am.

I prefer not to stick out and wear clothing, etc. that is similar to what people in general are wearing.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #44
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my suggestion would be to wear the type of clothing you normally wore before you started carrying. that would be the perfect way to "blend" in. most people i do know that CC, i would never know they did, because they didn't make drastic clothing style changes.

another thing to consider is situational awareness. being aware of your surroundings and the people around you. doesn't mean acting paranoid and scared, just being aware. simple truth is, even if you are carrying, and you get caught off guard because you weren't paying attention to your surroundings, then having a firearm is pretty useless.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #45
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

I will always try to blend in. Showing a weapon or the suggestion of a weapon makes too many people nervous. I still have to be part of society, and making people nervous is not a great way to maintain relationships and communication.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #46

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have changed nothing with how I dress to conceal for 26 years. NO tacticool junk no military clothing in my home. I can wear a loose fitting t-shirt or tuck in a botton down and conceal carry. I don't try to cover a handgun to big to conceal ether.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #47

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I'm laughing here. Everyone seems to think this thread is about whether or not you should wear a tacticool jumpsuit while conceal carrying and are bashing the idea. The funny part is no one ever mentioned such a thing.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 01-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarmboy21 View Post
This may or may not turn into a great debate and have many diverse opinions....and I hope it does!

When I took my class, we were told we should dress as to just "blend in" and not dress in shooting vests and other clothing that basically says "I'm packing some heat!" and that seems to be the general consensus. HOWEVER when I sat in on my wife's class the instructor was a retired lawman (city cop, sheriff, Federal agent, and swat) and still teaches law enforcement at a college and does all the county's law enforcement gun range training etc. He told he class that they should if anything make it noticeable they were carrying. For example: wear the vests with magazine pockets, tight pants that imprint, even a loose jacket that if the wind catches it shows your piece gleaming in the sunlight. He said that people are more likely to steer clear of anyone they think have a gun. SOOO.......what do you all think.

Why blend in??? Why stick out???

I'm just curious. I mean we've all seen the way people look at a guy open carrying a big .44 on his hip. I personally conceal mine very well (the law is concealed carry I guess) but to be honest I'd feel more comfortable if my wife was alone if I though everyone knew she had a .38 on her. So what do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
I'm laughing here. Everyone seems to think this thread is about whether or not you should wear a tacticool jumpsuit while conceal carrying and are bashing the idea. The funny part is no one ever mentioned such a thing.
i think you need to reread the OP's post on this.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #49

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Do you have any idea how much a "shooting vest" looks like a fishing vest? Or a photographer's vest? That's hardly a tacticool jumpsuit.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Do you have any idea how much a "shooting vest" looks like a fishing vest? Or a photographer's vest? That's hardly a tacticool jumpsuit.
it comes back to my point. wear what you wore before carrying. i think that some are suggesting that some people change their wardrobe style just because they start carrying and want to advertise to some degree. poor choice IMO.

i will fall back to my original thinking on this, concealed means concealed. meaning others should never even suspect you are carrying.