Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Clothing opinions: Blend in or Stick out???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

The "concealed but ready" argument holds no water with me. You should be ready all the time. Open carry is not a get out of jail free card for being unawares. So making it clear to would be robbers that you're packing, while still carrying concealed so that the sheeple can be comfortable seems like a good compromise to me.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #32

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan
. So making it clear to would be robbers that you're packing, while still carrying concealed so that the sheeple can be comfortable seems like a good compromise to me.
That really makes no sense ---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #33

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

An attacker is going to size you up before making their move. There are subtle things you can do to indicate you're not a good target that most people (who have no interest in robbing you) won't pick up on. This is the basis of this thread really.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #34

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
An attacker is going to size you up before making their move. There are subtle things you can do to indicate you're not a good target that most people (who have no interest in robbing you) won't pick up on. This is the basis of this thread really.
I don't attribute as much intelligence to such class of person as you do, but maybe that's just me. What they size up is your net worth, not your ability to defend. If you've got a shiny watch and nice shoes your a target.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #35

I dunno.....I size people up
And feel them out too. I mean I'd say we've all been in that situation where you're in a dark alley, in a gas station, mall, etc etc....and you see some dude or a group of thugs walking towards you OR following behind you! An you place your hand on, or closer to, your firearm. Then you start thinking "how big are they, hmm they have a trench coat, do I see any bulges in their pockets or shirts, are their hands in their pockets....." Maybe you haven't ever been there but I do it all the time. I even try to spot fellow CCW holders. My wife's instructor challenged us to "make it a game" because it makes you more aware for one, shows you what not to do (if you don't wanna be noticed) and if you see any it let's you know who else has your back if need be. I'm sure not all criminals think "are they packin" but the better ones do, and the ether ones are the ones you worry about an they're the ones that look for the "signs" of someone carrying a gun.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 AM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19474 Times on 11063 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

maybe i can put this in terms that all can understand.

concealed carry means concealed, period.

Webster's Dictionary version.

vt. to cover; to keep secret,. v. to keep from disclosure, sight, or knowledge; to hide.

the whole point of concealed carry is to hide or cover; to keep secret. if others (regardless of whether they be friend or foe) can tell you are carrying a firearm, then obviously it's not concealed. in some states this is a violation of the concealed carry laws which means you can possibly lose your CC permit.

concealed carry means concealed. in some states that don't have open carry and only have concealed carry, if others can discern the fact that you are carrying, then you are breaking the law.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1345 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 453

What works for me is minding my own business. I don't care if the guy at another table is packing. I am not going to sit there staring at him trying to figure it out. Minding your own business will save you a lot of grief. If a woman in my life wants to flirt with some shady buzzard that is not my business. I try to call her to me or remove her from the situation. If she carries on with it I will leave her there.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1136 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I am more of a proponant of concealed to open carry. Since in Florida, open carry is illegal, it is an easily reinforced decision of mine. Last year instead of passing an open carry bill, Florida decided not to prosecute persons that had guns accidently revealed. However, apparantly not all Districts Attorneys and Sherriffs are not following that, and some prosecution has occured.

So it is good to stay concealed. How do I do it? I try to blend in, but have the hot summer to deal with. In the summer since most of my non work attire runs to shorts and tee shirts, I wear a lot of cargo shorts with a S&W J Frame snubbie in a Don Hume pocket holster. It disappears.

This time of year when it is cooler, and easier to wear layers, I will use either my Shield or my SR9c in inside the waistband holsters. They are much more easily concealed with a full shirt, and/or a light jacket.

What I really like is seeing the guys with the belly bags looking like the tourists. They are wearing the zip up bag around their waist, but still have wallet, car keys and cell phone in their pockets. Screams gun.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:35 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
I am more of a proponant of concealed to open carry. Since in Florida, open carry is illegal, it is an easily reinforced decision of mine. Last year instead of passing an open carry bill, Florida decided not to prosecute persons that had guns accidently revealed. However, apparantly not all Districts Attorneys and Sherriffs are not following that, and some prosecution has occured.

So it is good to stay concealed. How do I do it? I try to blend in, but have the hot summer to deal with. In the summer since most of my non work attire runs to shorts and tee shirts, I wear a lot of cargo shorts with a S&W J Frame snubbie in a Don Hume pocket holster. It disappears.

This time of year when it is cooler, and easier to wear layers, I will use either my Shield or my SR9c in inside the waistband holsters. They are much more easily concealed with a full shirt, and/or a light jacket.

What I really like is seeing the guys with the belly bags looking like the tourists. They are wearing the zip up bag around their waist, but still have wallet, car keys and cell phone in their pockets. Screams gun.
Its funny that you mention the belly bags, because before I carried I never noticed little things like that. When you do carry you start to pay closer attention.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #40

Liked 239 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I sure don't "blend in", but I don't shout "Armed and Dangerous" either.

I stand out in a crowd. I have about two dozen kids who watch me, at church and in public, and hopefully they see me as a role model.

Bob Wright