Clothing opinions: Blend in or Stick out??? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Clothing opinions: Blend in or Stick out???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To me, in an ideal world, we'd all have AR-15s slung over our shoulders, handguns on our hips and nobody would even look at you funny. People would just accept such sights as normal.

And there's something to be said for shoving your agenda in people's faces constantly in order to force them to just accept it and therefore change the culture. That's why I take issue with the majority of people in the "gun community" who bash open carry advocates as "douchebags" who are supposedly "looking for trouble", trying to annoy police and scare people.

Uh, no. They're POLITICAL ACTIVISTS and deserve our support, not our condemnation...

Having said that... I'm personally a massive coward, I'm ashamed to say, when it comes to gun ownership and politics in general.

My friends and family are very "liberal"(well, that's a bit of a lie. Both of my parents FINALLY switched sides politically in the 2010 congressional elections. But they still hate firearms...) and I live in a very "liberal" area.

If you own a gun here, or especially if you carry one or own an AR-15, everyone here looks at like you're a crazy "Redneck" and a threat to society...

So, my secret passion for firearms (and weapons, armor, martial arts and Right-wing politics in general) is very much in the closet... None of my friends or family, besides one of my best friends who's also conservative and into firearms, know that I own several firerams. And I tried to keep my guns a secret even from my girlfriend of 3+ years for as long as possible.

So, me personally, I very much practice "blending". I even recently rejected carrying a Kahr CM9 (very tiny 9mm) because it prints too much...

But to be more specific in answering your question about whether or not you should openly carry to scare off criminals, I think that actually makes a lot of sense.

I'm pretty good at being able to put myself into the shoes of others.

If I think like a criminal, would I break into a home if I knew the owner was armed and in the house? Nope. But if I was pretty sure you weren't home I might. So, make sure to really hide and secure your firearms and valuables...

Would I mug someone if it looked like they were packing heat? Nope. Even if I could get the jump on them from behind and had the numbers on my side, dealing with firearms is always such a wildcard. You never know what the heck will happen. What if the chick he's with is also packing heat? Way too many variables that could resort in me the criminal getting shot. So, it's simply not worth the risk.

And if I was a criminal, would I dare to rob random shops if I knew most people in the area carried guns and had the legal right to use them against criminals? Heck no. If I burst into the shop with my degenerate buds and demanded everyone get on the floor, if there's several people in the room carrying guns, I have no real power over them. It would turn into a shootout and there's a strong chance I'd either have to run away or get killed.

And if the criminal is stupid/crazy enough to carry on with being a mongoloid anyway despite knowing that you and your area is heavily armed and very pro-self-defense in the courts (which is rare...), then hey, they deserve what's coming to them...

So, me personally, I'm very supportive of the idea of more people openly carrying firearms. Even though I myself am too much of a wuss to do it... Just make sure that if you do do so that you do it responsibily and carry yourself well. The LAST thing the gun rights movement needs is a bunch of trashy morons making us look bad...

Last edited by Yuckers; 12-30-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #22

Liked 409 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
For me concealed means concealed. If I wanted people to know I would open carry.
What Rick said.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #23

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This topic basically comes down to the familiar "open vs. concealed" argument, which has been beaten to death.

I've reached the age, I guess, where I just don't care what other people think. I have carefully considered my options which, in Georgia, allow open or concealed carry. I comply with the law. I choose to conceal carry, and respect your right to do otherwise.

I've carried for years, and to my knowledge, no one has noticed. If they have, no one has ever mentioned it. If by chance someone notices and are bothered by it, deal with it.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

People Like This 
Old 12-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #24

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
Quote:
This topic basically comes down to the familiar "open vs. concealed" argument, which has been beaten to death.
I've reached the age, I guess, where I just don't care what other people think. I have carefully considered my options which, in Georgia, allow open or concealed carry. I comply with the law. I choose to conceal carry, and respect your right to do otherwise.

I've carried for years, and to my knowledge, no one has noticed. If they have, no one has ever mentioned it. If by chance someone notices and are bothered by it, deal with it.
Agree ^^^
Mostly A fashion statement question IMO---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #25

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

You need to be absolutely sure what the law in your state says. Here in CT our permits are "permits to carry pistols and revolvers." CT is technically an open carry state but you will probably get arrested if you do so. I had a friend who was carrying concealed and sat down at a booth in a restaurant. When he sat down his shirt got caught up on his pistol. Some people got uncomfortable and called the police. He was arrested and charged with breach of peace and his pistol was taken away. It took him about a month to get his pistol back and a few more to get his charges dropped. For this reason most people in CT, including myself, choose to carry concealed.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #26

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortinsj View Post
You need to be absolutely sure what the law in your state says. Here in CT our permits are "permits to carry pistols and revolvers." CT is technically an open carry state but you will probably get arrested if you do so. I had a friend who was carrying concealed and sat down at a booth in a restaurant. When he sat down his shirt got caught up on his pistol. Some people got uncomfortable and called the police. He was arrested and charged with breach of peace and his pistol was taken away. It took him about a month to get his pistol back and a few more to get his charges dropped. For this reason most people in CT, including myself, choose to carry concealed.
He just did a pisspoor job of concealing

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #27

Well I live in the OH, KY, WV tri state area.....I would maybe open carry BUT it seems like most of the towns around have ordinances against open carry. It also seems to make old women and the more citified folks squirm which never turns out good, so I choose to conceal. BUT I still can't help worry about my wife....my wife is the type that attracts a lot of unwanted attention by other men....you know, sexy but oblivious to danger! She Tends to get hit on at gas stations and dark parking lots. If she had a pistol on her hip I doubt it would happen as often as it does. She's smartened up after several lectures from co workers, family and myself. I'm surprised she was never raped or abducted....but very very thankful! Anyway noe she's had her CCW class and is awaiting her permit. She's much more careful and aware now, the class changed her outlook a lot. Still tho I would just assume creeps stray away from her direction in fear she would sling some lead if need be.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarmboy21 View Post
Well I live in the OH, KY, WV tri state area.....I would maybe open carry BUT it seems like most of the towns around have ordinances against open carry. It also seems to make old women and the more citified folks squirm which never turns out good, so I choose to conceal. BUT I still can't help worry about my wife....my wife is the type that attracts a lot of unwanted attention by other men....you know, sexy but oblivious to danger! She Tends to get hit on at gas stations and dark parking lots. If she had a pistol on her hip I doubt it would happen as often as it does. She's smartened up after several lectures from co workers, family and myself. I'm surprised she was never raped or abducted....but very very thankful! Anyway noe she's had her CCW class and is awaiting her permit. She's much more careful and aware now, the class changed her outlook a lot. Still tho I would just assume creeps stray away from her direction in fear she would sling some lead if need be.
Farmboy, if your wife is a looker, it doesn't really matter if she's carrying or not, CC or open, she's going to get some attention. that's just life.

if a see a good looking lady, (and i am married, but not blind!) i do sneak a look as well. am i wondering if she's carrying concealed? never even enters my mind, but i have no criminal intentions in mind in the first place, just enjoying the scenery!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #29

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default The Moral Of The Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Poor copper, wrong place wrong time.
Or, don't make friends with stupid people -- no good can come of it.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 12-30-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #30

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Y advertise? It makes many nervous and gives away your little secret. A reason CCW works so well is the element of surprise. It is like supermarket prices. That's right!

Supermarkets make little money on what they sell per piece. They have HUGE turnover of inventory so they make a little on a lot. Y not make A LOT on a lot? They can't. The market observes what they're doing... Enough homemakers watch prices and cut coupons, albeit the vast minority, that ripping off customers would put offending sellers out of business very quickly. It is the same for CCW...

U don't know who is or isn't armed, but there's a chance now where there wasn't before that someone is, and if a felon thinks he will always act with impunity, well, those days are gone and his may be numbered. Bad luck on his part has severe consequences and he can't take that chance so readily anymore. Except in a Gun Free Zone of course.
Clearly you haven't been to an albertsons lately. What you say is true only to costco and discount grocers, typically not regular big chain grocers.
That said, it really is a veru personal choice, and where legal should be exercised just as any other right. Doesnt mean oc everywhere at all timed, pick and choose carefully. Oc can be useful if visiting a state that allows unlicensed oc if you dont have a permit that that state recognizes.