Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Clothing opinions: Blend in or Stick out???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Clothing opinions: Blend in or Stick out???

This may or may not turn into a great debate and have many diverse opinions....and I hope it does!

When I took my class, we were told we should dress as to just "blend in" and not dress in shooting vests and other clothing that basically says "I'm packing some heat!" and that seems to be the general consensus. HOWEVER when I sat in on my wife's class the instructor was a retired lawman (city cop, sheriff, Federal agent, and swat) and still teaches law enforcement at a college and does all the county's law enforcement gun range training etc. He told he class that they should if anything make it noticeable they were carrying. For example: wear the vests with magazine pockets, tight pants that imprint, even a loose jacket that if the wind catches it shows your piece gleaming in the sunlight. He said that people are more likely to steer clear of anyone they think have a gun. SOOO.......what do you all think.

Why blend in??? Why stick out???

I'm just curious. I mean we've all seen the way people look at a guy open carrying a big .44 on his hip. I personally conceal mine very well (the law is concealed carry I guess) but to be honest I'd feel more comfortable if my wife was alone if I though everyone knew she had a .38 on her. So what do you think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #2

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

Wow that is such a tough question in very situanionally dependent.
It is someitmes better to deter a robbery and not have to answer 12... than it is to successfully fight on off.

i think it would strongly depend on your neighborhood. the local atrmosphere and your own physical appearance.
I'll have to do some thinking on that.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #3

I know...I had never though much about it until I sat in on my wife's class. It really go me thinking.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

It also depends on your state. some its illegal to "print".

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

People Like This 
Old 12-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #5

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I say blend in and be unseen ... in all environments

as mentioned "printing" can be considered brandishing and is illegal in a lot of places. At the very least it may get you unwanted attention from a LEO ... at the worst ... shot

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I blend. Except for my shoes.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #7

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
I blend. Except for my shoes.
yours have those flashing lights in them don't they ... don't lie!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #8

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Y advertise? It makes many nervous and gives away your little secret. A reason CCW works so well is the element of surprise. It is like supermarket prices. That's right!

Supermarkets make little money on what they sell per piece. They have HUGE turnover of inventory so they make a little on a lot. Y not make A LOT on a lot? They can't. The market observes what they're doing... Enough homemakers watch prices and cut coupons, albeit the vast minority, that ripping off customers would put offending sellers out of business very quickly. It is the same for CCW...

U don't know who is or isn't armed, but there's a chance now where there wasn't before that someone is, and if a felon thinks he will always act with impunity, well, those days are gone and his may be numbered. Bad luck on his part has severe consequences and he can't take that chance so readily anymore. Except in a Gun Free Zone of course.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 12-30-2012 at 01:57 AM.
blucoondawg Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #9

Liked 1688 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

For me concealed means concealed. If I wanted people to know I would open carry.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #10

My thoughts are everyone will know I'm carrying when they see the muzzle flash. First option or opportunity leave. Second, deescalate or diffuse. Given no other choice, if the situation offers no other option....