Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (
-   -   Clothing opinions: Blend in or Stick out??? (

thefarmboy21 12-30-2012 12:50 AM

Clothing opinions: Blend in or Stick out???
This may or may not turn into a great debate and have many diverse opinions....and I hope it does!

When I took my class, we were told we should dress as to just "blend in" and not dress in shooting vests and other clothing that basically says "I'm packing some heat!" and that seems to be the general consensus. HOWEVER when I sat in on my wife's class the instructor was a retired lawman (city cop, sheriff, Federal agent, and swat) and still teaches law enforcement at a college and does all the county's law enforcement gun range training etc. He told he class that they should if anything make it noticeable they were carrying. For example: wear the vests with magazine pockets, tight pants that imprint, even a loose jacket that if the wind catches it shows your piece gleaming in the sunlight. He said that people are more likely to steer clear of anyone they think have a gun. SOOO.......what do you all think.

Why blend in??? Why stick out???

I'm just curious. I mean we've all seen the way people look at a guy open carrying a big .44 on his hip. I personally conceal mine very well (the law is concealed carry I guess) but to be honest I'd feel more comfortable if my wife was alone if I though everyone knew she had a .38 on her. So what do you think?

bluez 12-30-2012 12:54 AM

Wow that is such a tough question in very situanionally dependent.
It is someitmes better to deter a robbery and not have to answer 12... than it is to successfully fight on off.

i think it would strongly depend on your neighborhood. the local atrmosphere and your own physical appearance.
I'll have to do some thinking on that.

thefarmboy21 12-30-2012 01:03 AM

I know...I had never though much about it until I sat in on my wife's class. It really go me thinking.

hiwall 12-30-2012 01:09 AM

It also depends on your state. some its illegal to "print".

dog2000tj 12-30-2012 02:00 AM

I say blend in and be unseen ... in all environments :cool:

as mentioned "printing" can be considered brandishing and is illegal in a lot of places. At the very least it may get you unwanted attention from a LEO ... at the worst ... shot :cool:

willfully armed 12-30-2012 02:19 AM

I blend. Except for my shoes.

dog2000tj 12-30-2012 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 1071326)
I blend. Except for my shoes.

yours have those flashing lights in them don't they :o ... don't lie! :cool:

HockaLouis 12-30-2012 02:53 AM

Y advertise? It makes many nervous and gives away your little secret. A reason CCW works so well is the element of surprise. It is like supermarket prices. That's right!

Supermarkets make little money on what they sell per piece. They have HUGE turnover of inventory so they make a little on a lot. Y not make A LOT on a lot? They can't. The market observes what they're doing... Enough homemakers watch prices and cut coupons, albeit the vast minority, that ripping off customers would put offending sellers out of business very quickly. It is the same for CCW...

U don't know who is or isn't armed, but there's a chance now where there wasn't before that someone is, and if a felon thinks he will always act with impunity, well, those days are gone and his may be numbered. Bad luck on his part has severe consequences and he can't take that chance so readily anymore. Except in a Gun Free Zone of course.

Rick1967 12-30-2012 03:02 AM

For me concealed means concealed. If I wanted people to know I would open carry.

bgeddes 12-30-2012 03:54 AM

My thoughts are everyone will know I'm carrying when they see the muzzle flash. First option or opportunity leave. Second, deescalate or diffuse. Given no other choice, if the situation offers no other option....