church & guns - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > church & guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 118 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
what church was a target, and by whom?
There have been a lot of church shootings over the years. If some nutball loses it and wants to go on a rampage on a Sunday morning what better place to inflict mass casualties than a church? If it happened at my church and said nutball killed a bunch of our women and children and I didn't try to stop him I don't think I could live with myself. No, I'm not afraid to die but I am afraid of the consequences of standing idle while evil is perpretated in my presence.
People Like This 
Old 01-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #22
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8725 Times on 4701 Posts
Likes Given: 18428

Aren't churches gun free zones?

Old 01-12-2014, 12:35 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
what church was a target, and by whom?
Well Ill be honest, and say I truly dont remember the names of the churchs or the people involved.
2 incidents happened within 60 miles of me. A pastor was killed while preaching at a Baptist church in Southern Il. I could research all the news from last year and find them, but Im not,

I carry everywhere I go.Mall ,theater, walmart, grocery stores, ball games, Im not looking for any of those different ones. They're all good places ,as is my church.

It aint US its the nuts that are the problem.

Jim
People Like This 
Old 01-12-2014, 12:38 AM   #24

Liked 2110 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Aren't churches gun free zones?
It depends on the state you live in. Colorado is ok with guns in houses of worship.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:42 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10394 Times on 4485 Posts
Likes Given: 1652

Mc- law vary state to state. In VA, you may not carry in a church "without good and sufficient reason".

18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

I carry, as do several others- with the knowledge and approval of our minister. Our cause is the security of our congregation. And yes, there have been several attacks on places of worship.

As far as the religious aspects- to you be your religion, and to me be mine (from the Qaran, BTW) Here is what mine teaches:

Luke 22:36
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one
People Like This 
Old 01-12-2014, 12:44 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

In Ky ,it is up to each church.

In Ky everybody carrys everywhere....

Jim
People Like This 
Old 01-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 973 Times on 522 Posts

Rick1967, I wonder if you are near me in the Springs, there are a couple churches with security teams here. My church has a pre school which is state licensed, I'm thinking that bars someone from carrying even outside of school hours, I'll chat with my pastor at some point.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:26 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1903 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 1431

I took my CCW class in a church. The instructor said we were only the second class he had ever done in a church but he had more scheduled behind us.
A friend up by Springfield MO asked his pastor if it would be all right to carry in there church. They are just off of I44 and he said they get homeless coming in looking for help and most are harmless but one pulled a knife and tried to rob them. He said the pastor kind of snickered and then told him that he was scheduled for a CHL class the following week and after he got his permit he would be packing as well.

Last edited by rockratt; 01-12-2014 at 01:59 AM.
People Like This 
Old 01-12-2014, 01:40 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Why carry a gun into church? As I believe a church is a place created by man and therefor subject to the violence of man. Evil surrounds us and we must be prepared to meet that evil at all times and all places. Just as I would not willingly lose my life in a convenient store robbery, I won't willingly lose my life in church. Just because someone is shot and killed in church does not mean they automatically go to heaven. The Lord will judge us all.

Do I carry in church? I have before and I am sure I will in the future. My current conundrum is my church meets in an elementary school cafeteria on Sundays because we don't have our own building. The school is obviously a GFZ (gun free zone) but at the same time it is not a school day and its a church. Confusing....

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"
rockratt Likes This 
Old 01-12-2014, 01:46 AM   #30

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
You wonder WHY! any of us would carry a gun to church!

Maine Man!
Here is one of your answers!

Let me tell you how Intriguing it really is!

My wifes first cousin who lives in Fort Worth TX. attended the Wedgewood Baptist Church in Fort Worth Texas. It is a prominant middle class neighborhood far from the hood!

She fortunately had some car trouble while attempting to go to church one evening. She was running late when she finally got there!
As she arrived there were police, medical ambulances, rescue and fire trucks everywhere.

What had happened at around 7PM a man by the last name of Ashbrook 47 years old and a wacko walked into the sanctuary with a 9 MM Semi-Auto Pistol and emptied 3 full magazines into the attendees. Killing 3 teenagers, 3 adults on the scene and another one or two died in the hospital hours later.
Why do we carry? Well under the present times it is great to set twiddling your thumbs and say well the Lord will protect us at all times. You know! I think the Lord also expects us to be a little wiser and stewards for our brothers and sisters. And as one said here in this thread, maybe God expects some common sense that says maybe we should also be prepared and be able to protect the innocent ourselves on his behalf. I am a retired Law Enforcement Officer of nearly 30 years! And yes like many here on this Forum hardly go anywhere without a piece! What am I affraid of? Well honestly, not much after being LE and on SWAT for over 16 years and in the Army before that. But even myself, some controllable fear is not bad in a sense. Because it also generates a sense of responsibility or should. I do not so much carry a gun for "only" my protection. But I will be D****d if a senario like happened in "Shirley's Church" or even in some of the recent incidents at resteraunts, movie theaters, schools, shopping centers and other places, if I am going to set around and stand by while some wacko kills innocent people without me engaging them. That is why these freaks take advantage of what they like to target, being Guns Free Zone with innocent people who have no chance of survival, resistance and can not protect themselves!
So we Carry! If some one could set buy and not do anything in these situations! Well I an Intrigued! Welcome to the Real World!

he opened fire with a 9mm semiautomatic handgun and a .380-caliber handgun. He reloaded several times during the shooting; three empty magazines were found at the scene. Seven people were killed, four of whom were teenagers (a 14 year old boy, two 14 year old girls and a 17 year old boy). Three people sustained major injuries while four others received relatively minor injuries.

thank God he didn't have a .45