Charged with battery - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Charged with battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glad to hear it, now you just gotta be good for a year.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Not my MO Doc,
I favor punching big holes in my walls instead, and BTW the Ol' Lady who inspired the holes is the same one who fixes them.
Bill...here in AZ punching holes in those walls CAN be construed as domestic violence. Breaking a lamp...slamming a door...if your spousal unit or person defined in ARS (forget the fed law) feels threatened...you can, and most probably will be charged with DV.

A guy in my old squad tossed a guy for DV for going out and punching his punching bag (instead of his finace) to cool off after he and his finace had a set-to.

Granted when he responded to the call (neighbors called to report yelling) the subject got stupid and failed the attitude test...but the charges stuck.

Don't think breaking real estate is okay.

And oh yeah...don't hit a girl. It shows low class and a smaller johnson. Males (not men, real men don't hit women) who practice violence against women are cowards who haven't the stones to deal with the real focus and target of their anger. IMHO.

Last edited by Infidel; 12-08-2010 at 02:22 AM.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Fair???

What does the law have to do with being fair?
They should go together, but often don't.

Just remember, anti-gun forces use every avenue they can to make more and more classes of people who are forbidden to own guns. They try to say a military person going through some trauma counseling, or a person taking meds for depression, are unstable and should not be able to own a gun. Widen the net enough and we'll all get snagged somewhere.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
A guy in my old squad tossed a guy for DV for going out and punching his punching bag (instead of his finace) to cool off after he and his finace had a set-to.
That officer sounds like a real jackass and part of the reason police officers aren't afforded the respect they once were, IMO.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
That officer sounds like a real jackass and part of the reason police officers aren't afforded the respect they once were, IMO.
That may be so, and I am not going to debate the relative merit or lack of merit of the arrest in question other than to say, had I been the responding officer I would have probably told the guy to cool off and good for him for hitting the bag (the purpose for which it was intended) and not hitting the girl. I'd hate to see a guy catch a prohibited possessor tag for hitting a heavy bag. I can empathize with him.

Failing the attitude test, though I was not made privy to the whole story, I was led to believe that the subject got aggressive toward the officer, thereby reducing his credibility when claiming he was innocent. As I said...I wasn't there...not making that call. But...don't hit a girl, and don't hit the nice officer. Calm and reasonable will get you tons more credibility and BOD (Benefit Of The Doubt).

My point was simply to illustrate what can be construed as DV in Arizona, and many other jurisdictions. I used the case in point as it was one that related to the discussion.

Your response was a cop bash not germain to the point I was trying to make, so I will not speak to the merit, or lack of merit here.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #36

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default up s-it creek abuser

#1 shouldnt hit a woman,#2 no matter what she says ...the state prosecutor 's gonna tear your ass up #3 you may lose your job, gun lic ....hunting lic is also a probability....the state can and will confiscate all your guns if you are convicted.#4 her brother ,dad ,or granddad will probably kill you someday.#5 if you have children , how is it gonna effect them ? was it worth it ............

Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Failing the attitude test, though I was not made privy to the whole story, I was led to believe that the subject got aggressive toward the officer...

Your response was a cop bash not germain to the point I was trying to make, so I will not speak to the merit, or lack of merit here.
Though i'm not sure that "failure to maintain a pleasant attitude" is a crime (and certainly shouldn't be IMO), i will be the first to admit that "getting aggressive toward the officer" is seldom a wise course of action or a reasonable way to reduce the amount of trouble you will be in.

A bash indeed, and maybe not entirely on-topic, but deserved in my opinion; one bad apple spoils the barrel, or at least the public opinion of the barrel.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Though i'm not sure that "failure to maintain a pleasant attitude" is a crime (and certainly shouldn't be IMO), i will be the first to admit that "getting aggressive toward the officer" is seldom a wise course of action or a reasonable way to reduce the amount of trouble you will be in.

A bash indeed, and maybe not entirely on-topic, but deserved in my opinion; one bad apple spoils the barrel, or at least the public opinion of the barrel.
Many times I have felt the need to let an officer of the law? know that what he was requesting is against the law. For example my ex-neighbor once called the dog catcher on me. Two mcso deputies arrived along with the dog catcher and when I refused to sign the ticket both rabidly insisted that I would be arrested for refusal to sign. Fortunately the dog catcher knew I was legally not required to sign the form. Once after a pipe bomb was detonated outside my house during a period of time when all the police were mysteriously too busy to come & catch a felon I insisted they get over here & check this out (this incident has occurred many times) Of course when the mcso arrived (po-po) I was questioned intensively about my gun collection and I did finally have to advise the cop to take a look at my No Tresspassing sign & to Please follow it's directions. I was told that the "Next time they (mcso) came over to my house, they would be bringing their rifles". Now anyone tell me that is a professional response...

Old 12-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Many times I have felt the need to let an officer of the law? know that what he was requesting is against the law. For example my ex-neighbor once called the dog catcher on me. Two mcso deputies arrived along with the dog catcher and when I refused to sign the ticket both rabidly insisted that I would be arrested for refusal to sign. Fortunately the dog catcher knew I was legally not required to sign the form. Once after a pipe bomb was detonated outside my house during a period of time when all the police were mysteriously too busy to come & catch a felon I insisted they get over here & check this out (this incident has occurred many times) Of course when the mcso arrived (po-po) I was questioned intensively about my gun collection and I did finally have to advise the cop to take a look at my No Tresspassing sign & to Please follow it's directions. I was told that the "Next time they (mcso) came over to my house, they would be bringing their rifles". Now anyone tell me that is a professional response...
Again, I have to ask: What does this have to do with hitting women and what can be construed as domestic violence?

I made my point pretty clearly and in plain english.

What does your troubles with MCSO have to do with someone hitting a woman?

I used an anectdotal situation to illustrate what can be considered DV in AZ.

As for "The Attitude Test"...it is just as valid now as it was a hundred years ago. I was never a traffic hooker...so on those instances when I did have occaision to pull someone over..if the first words out of their mouths were something like: "Why are you pulling me over you jerk?" They have just told me that they don't want a break, and by golly, they want a ticket.

Personally...I didn't like to write tickets for silliness like a broken tail light or other such nonsense. In the vast majority of those instances, providing the subject was not a jerk, I simply said something like: "I pulled you over tonight/today becasue you appear to have a broken tail light. Why don't you get that squared away, and have a good day/night." All this provided insurance and registration was kosher...no need to make anyone's day longer.

That being said: If I come to a DV call...statistically and REALISTICALLY the most dangerous call I could have taken during a shift...if one of the parties IS acting like a jerk or being aggressive toward me, or failing the attitude test by calling the other party whatever insultive and pejorative name in the book...why should/or would I give that party the benefit of the doubt? They have demonstrated to ME that they are not capable at that moment of being civil or calm. So what does that do to their credibility? It shoots it in the foot. So...wife/gf says...."He said he was going to beat me, and he went out and started hitting his punching bag and when he starts hitting the bag it isn't long before he starts hitting me! I am scared...." Who would YOU believe in that moment? Take that a step further...if the subject becomes aggressive to me as the officer...is there ANY credibility now?

Go ahead and hate cops, yeah we are all jerks who hide behind our badges, small johnsons, whatever else you want to say...oh yeah...we violate civil rights for breakfast, and kick kittens through fan blades. True, there are jerks in ALL professions...some turn wrenches, some drive buses, some even wear a suit and tie, and some own hole in the wall gun and lock shops in northern Phoenix...none of that has a darned thing to do with the law. I never even said, asserted or alluded to the fact that hitting a punching bag or breaking a dish (provided the dish wasn't broken over your wife/gf/bf/husband's head) SHOULD be domestic violence. I simply made the point that it CAN BE CONSTRUED as such and prosecuted.

So continue to bash a profession in which I proudly served for more than two decades...whatever...I have heard ALL of that before. Add some comments about donuts or coffee...honestly I don't care that's not the least bit original and really has nothing to do with me or the way I did my job, but if you are going to make or argue a point, don't derail it into an apples and oranges basket toss where one thing has nothing to do with the other.

Murder is illegal.

Yeah well, the cop who arrested my brother for meth possession was a jerk and broke his stem. All cops are jerks.

What does THAT have to do with murder being illegal?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Go ahead and hate cops, yeah we are all jerks who hide behind our badges, small johnsons, whatever else you want to say...oh yeah...we violate civil rights for breakfast, and kick kittens through fan blades. True, there are jerks in ALL professions...some turn wrenches, some drive buses, some even wear a suit and tie, and some own hole in the wall gun and lock shops in northern Phoenix...
I feel your pain; i was a tax auditor for a bit over a decade; that is a much-loved and appreciated profession. Sorry if i pulled us off-topic; i have a real problem with the abuse of authority and have a hard time not commenting on it when it comes up.