Charged with battery - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Charged with battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 02:10 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

dlee58 I understand your situation, and I also was your age myself once. Unfortunately there exist a large amount of people with the "Holier Than Thou" syndrome, who live to point their finger at other peoples troubles. I spent a lot of years pointing that finger too, but one day I found that I too could and do make mistakes. Remember, it is your right & obligation to be as happy in your life as you can & you don't need to take any crap from the vast majority. Life will go on & I am sure you will have your rights restored if you wish to, eventually.
As for myself my rights were restored in 1990 & today I have two FFL's and all the success I need.

Last edited by billdeserthills; 12-02-2010 at 02:12 AM.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:12 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6659 Times on 3543 Posts
Likes Given: 498

hitting people when you get upset is wrong and your prolly gonna pay the price for it. but im not sure the original purpose of disclosing this to the forum.

to the ones wanking off about sig lines. get off the high horse and grow up a bit. false sensitivity is enough to make me ill. get enough of that sht from peeps in the media.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-02-2010, 03:22 AM   #23
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

dlee-

What did you expect? You admitted you broke the cardinal rule... you never hit the girl.

Now you may have had the most egregious extenuating circumstances, but you hit the girl. And apparently, you've been convicted of hitting the girl... meaning the court saw no justification.

So moral of the story... never be surprised about the criticism if you ever hit the girl.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

dlee58, you seem like a stand up guy sorry this happened to you. It was dumb but dumb happens and it did. Could have been me many years ago but DV laws were much different then. However I could have had serious trouble with the Military.

About 40 years ago I was just home from my second tour in Viet Nam. After two back to back tours our marriage was not doing well. One day in an argument my wife slapped me and before I knew what happened she was on the floor blood running down her chin. At the same time a good friend and his wife knocked on the door which was unlocked.

My wife said "sob sob, come in, sob sob", and here they come. They said, "gee is this a bad time"? My wife said, "no this is a great time". Then she looked up at his wife and said could you help me get a cold damp wash cloth for me lip"?

It was the most embarrassing day of my life. A six foot 190 lb guy standing over a five foot one 115 lb girl. I have never hit her again and she is sitting right here beside me, in fact she told me to "tell you our story".

I don't hit girls, I don't hit anyone, but once I did and I still have my guns. Hope things work out for you.

Rev N Lee

Old 12-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #25

Agreed to a diversion. One year no guns. After a year guns and CCW are returned.

Thank you to a lot of you for your support. I surely never, ever thought I would find myself in this situation. I have always been an upstanding citizen, active in the community and always thought of myself as a good guy.

Anyone else out there please take it from someone who knows, it doesn't matter if you have been provoked for 3 years or not, it doesn't matter if the other person is begging you to hit them. Just walk.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee58 View Post
Agreed to a diversion. One year no guns. After a year guns and CCW are returned.

Thank you to a lot of you for your support. I surely never, ever thought I would find myself in this situation. I have always been an upstanding citizen, active in the community and always thought of myself as a good guy.

Anyone else out there please take it from someone who knows, it doesn't matter if you have been provoked for 3 years or not, it doesn't matter if the other person is begging you to hit them. Just walk.

Glad everything worked out. Lesson learned.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #27

Glad it worked out -- you don't sound like a bad guy. I personally do not think one minor indescretion should cause one to lose their right to own a gun forever. Circumstances always matter. There are degrees to everything. Many say "never hit the girl" -- well, okay -- but the same could happen if you hit a guy -- smacked your brother, perhaps. Anyone here ever got into it with their brother before? Or maybe a stepdad who is an a$$ and insulted your Mom. Maybe you let an old buddy stay at your house for awhile till he gets back on his feet and you have a falling out and you punch him. Or whatever. It's all domestic violence and could cost your your RTC forever. Is that always fair? I think not.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #28
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve65 View Post
Is that always fair?
Fair???

What does the law have to do with being fair?

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

Dlee. Glad to see it is working it's self out. It sounds like you were/are doing a fair bit of beating yourself up. I think I'll leave you to work through that. As usual; there are those that will continue kicking you, but only when you are down. It's the usual smug, cowardice that you see from the every day, run-of-the-mill pack that has the added protection of internet ananimity. In real life it is likely that they would never approach you in person and say this to your face unless they were in a pack. It's easy to see who is prone to this. They are the one's slinging mud and pointing fingers, armed with a keyboard. For that reason, it might be wise to seek out like individuals who want to find a way through physical anger and talking with them. The sum is mightier than the individual when it comes to working this kind of stuff out. That would be one of the reasons why organizations like AA are so successful vs cold turkey. Wasn't sure if diversion was even an option for a domestic in Ks but I guess it is. I hope you are not in the same setting i.e. she or you are gone. In a year (with no recurrences or other pending charges) you will not have forgotten about this and you should be a better person for it. Hopefully the kids won't try to emulate this and it seems as if you are taking the right lesson from it. Lesson's learned through trauma are the least forgotten. There were times when I know my Ex was trying to goad me into doing something rash like that. I found out after she left that she was asking advice from a cop about what things would get me locked up or "removed" from my house. The cop was our acquaintence's Son. It turned out that the cop thought she was acting a bit funny so he told his Mom that she needed to call me and let me know something wasn't right. The Mom did call me AFTER the fact but I am grateful none the less. I was in the military at the time so I would have been REALLY screwed if I had done something physical. Funny thing was that she decided it wasn't worth it anymore when I took her off the bank accounts so she couldn't overdraft us anymore. Hell, that was so easy I would have never guessed it. The last time she disappeared for a couple weeks and I got the ol' big "D" notice. She tried to use my military affiliation to her advantage and made it so I could not get a local USN/USAF/USARMY attorney to help me out. (She ran to all of them making accusations, so it was a "conflict of interest" for them to advise me afterwards). An investigation cropped up due to her allegations to JAG. In the end the Investigating Officer told me it was time to get my ducks in a row and get ready for "damage control" on the home front. I sold the house and gave her half (I just wanted it over with). If it wasn't for the statute of limitations, I would have had her thrown in jail for doctoring some paperwork (power of attorney) and taking out credit under my name as well as cashing a couple checks I wrote for the mortgage. She had a real problem with money, rooted in a sense of entitlement. It's funny but I honestly believe she thought it was "fair" for her to do this. She was looking for a judge in another state to grant her the house and strap me with ALL the debt... Until the facts came out. The only reason it worked out for me is because I went to people for advice and so there were records and affadavits that could be used. It's been about 6 years now and I'm sure she's pi$$ed all the money from her half of the house equity away. Last I knew she was in trouble for dodging the government and some "check-for-cash" places on some "loans" that came out after we subpeona'd her credit for the divorce. I have no idea if she's even alive. After the gavel hit the table, I was out the door and only heard that she had gotten the check from my attorney for the money. I on the other hand have never been better and have just gotten remarried 2 months ago. In the end, it worked itself out. I should have taken action a lot sooner; but then again, I should have been a better judge of charector and this would have never happened. A couple more lessons I learned from this: A judge is not looking to make either party happy unless they are both in agreement. It is usually impossible to do this. What they will then do instead is their level-best to make sure that both parties are equally UNHAPPY. The biggest lesson I learned from this was that it doesn't take anyone smart to manipulate you and/or the system. It only takes someone who is willing to be deceitful.
Deceit is easy: Easy enough that even a young child can pull it off. Just go to the toy store or turn on the news and see for yourself.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:

Just walk.
I am glad you got it worked out without losing your right to own firearms.

At least now, if one of your kids has relationship troubles, you have a solid example of what not to do; that can be as good as an example of what to do sometimes.

Personally, i do not agree with the stripping of one's right to own firearms due to a DV conviction.