Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Charged with battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Charged with battery

Very embarrassed by this. Several weeks ago my soon to be ex and I got into it I slapped her and of course went to jail for a few hours. She was not hurt, says she will not pursue the matter, I have hired an attorney. It is considered a misdemeanor. Not sure what I am in for as far as the Kansas CCW laws go.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

That's considered Domestic Violence. If convicted, you will no longer be
able to pass the background check for gun purchases. No idea how it will
affect your Kansas CCW, but I'm guessing it won't be good.

Hope you hired a really good attorney.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee58 View Post
Very embarrassed by this. Several weeks ago my soon to be ex and I got into it I slapped her and of course went to jail for a few hours. She was not hurt, says she will not pursue the matter, I have hired an attorney. It is considered a misdemeanor. Not sure what I am in for as far as the Kansas CCW laws go.
Embarrassed or damned ashamed for hitting a woman? In many cases, it makes no difference if she will pursue the matter or not. Violent crimes are just that and you should be punished, imo. How can you be expected to be responsible with a firearm if you can't control your temper enough to turn and walk away without hitting a woman?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

OK- straight talk.

1. It is up to the state- not your significant other- whether they want to prosecute.

2. If convicted of even a misdemeanor, such as disorderly conduct, simple assault, etc, you will have been convicted of a crime of domestic violence. Under Federal law (18 US code 922) your right to possess any firearm (I say again- ANY FIREARM) just went away. For good.

3. Your CCW is the least of your concerns right now. With a DV conviction, you will have nothing to carry.

Disclaimer- I am not a lawyer- which is what you need to talk with, not the Firearms Forum (you do realize this is a public forum, and anything you post here CAN be used in court?) Following is a C&P on the Domestic Violence Federal law:

Qualifying Offenses: As enacted the statute defines "misdemeanor crime of domestic violence" (MCDV) as any state or federal misdemeanor that -

"has, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon, committed by a current or former spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabiting with or has cohabited with the victim as a spouse, parent, or guardian, or by a person similarly situated to a spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim."
This definition includes all misdemeanors that involve the use or attempted use of physical force (e.g., simple assault, assault and battery), if the offense is committed by one of the defined parties. This is true whether or not the statute specifically defines the offense as a domestic violence misdemeanor. For example, a person convicted of misdemeanor assault against his or her spouse would be prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms. It is anticipated that this issue will be subject to litigation. In the event of such litigation, the Terrorism and Violent Crime Section should be notified so that assistance can be provided.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 11-29-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Straight Talk from Tango.

1. YOUR an IDIOT lets get that out there right now and let it be heard.

2. Buddy your done it is up to the state and more than likely your going to be to burnt toast.

3. I think you should sell all your firearms to the local gun store and slam your junk in a car door till it turns black and falls off. We shooters and hunters fight every day to keep our rights it doesn't help when idiots like YOU go and do stupid crap like this. HOLY idontknowwhat.

I can tell one thing your not driving the bus no more. You are now a passenger and your stuck way in the back. If I were you I would start stretching your anus because your gonna be someones manbi@tch soon.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I'm sorry to hear this but thank you for posting it. This is a good reminder to all of us how letting our anger get the best of us can cost us dearly.

I hope you will let us know what happens. Good luck.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 11-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I hope you get that under control. I wouldn't be worried about guns right now. You have alot of more important stuff to worry about.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
3. I think you should sell all your firearms to the local gun store and slam your junk in a car door till it turns black and falls off. We shooters and hunters fight every day to keep our rights it doesn't help when idiots like YOU go and do stupid crap like this. HOLY idontknowwhat.
Now, now, Tango...at least he didn't pistol whip her.

To the OP, lawyer up. That person alone will be who you want to ask questions to. Oh, and next time you have the urge to slap a woman, imagine that woman is your mom, or granny, or sister. Then turn around and walk away.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you can't be trusted not to hit a lady, I don't want you anywhere near a gun. Not gonna go as far as Tango, but I sure as hell hope they take your license.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't know about in your parts, but here in Arizona a first-time Domestic Violence is generally plea-bargained down to battery, you would be required to attend an anger-management type seminar and at the end of this a fine is charged. No Probation or loss of firearms ownership.

Last edited by user4; 11-29-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: edited for lack of class