Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Change "Ownership" of Gun and Obtain Concealed Carry Permit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Change "Ownership" of Gun and Obtain Concealed Carry Permit

Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I don't know much about carrying or concealed permits so I have a couple of questions. First off, my mother's husband (my former stepfather) passed away and he owned a couple of Taurus pistols. They are a 9mm and .40. She said she would give me the 9mm.

Anyways, I know that her husband legally owned these guns but she can't find any paperwork on them. She inherited his "estate" when he passed, so they are technically hers.

My first question is how do I go about putting the 9mm into my name, and is that even necessary?

And the second question is how do I go about obtaining a concealed carry permit for this gun? Do I just waltz into the police station or what?

I live in Wilkes County, North Carolina. Thanks for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #2

Default Not necessary per Federal law

You should check with the State of North Carolina, but generally, registration is not necessary when firearms are transferred between individuals IN THE SAME STATE. If you live in one of the "Republic of..." states, even possessing the handgun may be illegal. Check the State's website for pertinent data. Here in Tennessee, you can access ALL the annotated State law code on line so that you can read it for yourself. Your mileage may vary.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

NC does not require registration of firearms. So no worries. Legal transfer if in state between two law abiding citizens with a firearm that is known to not be stolen.

NC concealed carry does not require a link to a sprcific handgun as some states do. The CCW is for you, not for the gun in NC. You have to go to a 1 day class, get the certificate, get printed and background check then wait. They will call you when it gets in and you will pick it up at the sheriffs office. Can't recall how long it took me to get mine. NC does it by county, each one has varying degrees of friendliness toward CCW. Some different rules for NC, make sure you know them. SOme are unforgiving.

good luck to you