Chambering same round more than once - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Chambering same round more than once

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Oh good to know! Thanks

Old 02-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3474 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeekhof View Post
I load one directly I to the chute before putting in the clip. Then let the slide foreword. Then I put the clip in. I guess I am hoping it won't cause any problems by doing that but I always wondered the same thing.
You are forcing the extractor to go over the rim of the casing. On some that could be okay, but for those with an internal extractor (think Colt 1911), that causes the extractor to lose tune and results in extraction failures.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #13
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3210 Times on 1942 Posts
Likes Given: 3086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
In my book the only way to be sure is to fire the chambered SD round on each trip to the range. Yes, this may be over kill and yes it will cost you 1 to 2 new boxes of SD ammo per year but it also ensures timely rotation of your rounds and gives you a "first round" indication of you proficiency with your carry load.

If you live in a wet humid climate like I do, "pacific NW", it also elevates any concern of moisture degradation.

Sure some will think I take this too far but I see no reason to put all the effort into CCW only to wonder about my carry load?

Tack
Tack,

First round proficiency is something I'm concerned about. Shooting the chambered round is probably worth the $0.80 per week at the range. I can probably live with the risk of one rechambering after cleaning. I like to have a reason for the choices I make and this seems like a pretty good one!

Thanks!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #14

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Tack,

First round proficiency is something I'm concerned about. Shooting the chambered round is probably worth the $0.80 per week at the range. I can probably live with the risk of one rechambering after cleaning. I like to have a reason for the choices I make and this seems like a pretty good one!

Thanks!
I've had a few people "raise their eyebrows" over this notion. I've also taken enough different carry guns from "new guns" to "well used" guns and noticed a marked difference in POA VS POI over time. Most of us determine our carry load after 2 to 3 range sessions without ever considering how a considerable amount of rounds through a gun wears the barrel "and other components" which will alter POI. This can easily go unnoticed especially if your carry load is a different bullet weight that your practice ammo.

Food for thought.

Tack

Old 02-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
the way i load my ccw rounds is to gently ride the slide forward. my xdm colt new agent and bersa thunders all easily chamber rounds by very gently riding the slide forward.

mileage may vary.
Be careful. Have you fired after "slowly chambering"? I've heard the click as a result of not letting the action slam foward hard enough...
How does this sound? If going by the "five chamberings rule", take the cycled round and rotate it with the unused rounds in the box until they are all cycled, then rotate with the rounds in the mag.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #16

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Doesn't the CD line of ammo sport some "new technology" that prevents set-back? I would have sworn I read that somewhere, maybe even on the box or manufacturers website...

Sorry if this has been posted already, kinda in a hurry.

Hope this helps!

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

About once a month, I go to the range and I'll shoot an entire round of my defense ammo just so I can continue to have a good idea of the shooting pattern of it. I can say for sure that it definitely shoots a little lower than my cheap range ammo. It's worth the extra $$ each month to do that to know exactly how my rounds will fire.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Whenever I have reason to eject a chambered round, I toss it in a small tupperware tub I keep for that purpose. When the tub collects enough rounds, I'll take it to the range and shoot it. That way I get to practice with my defense ammo.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #19

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

When i shoot i use whats in my mags first, then reload them with hollow points.

Im not sure why some people feel the need to "slowly let the slide forward" when chambering a round. Does your semi-auto pistol do that when it cycles? No, it slams them in and imo if your ammo cant deal with it then its not quality ammo. I have rechambered the same round many times after cleaning or letting a friend or family member handle it and never had any kind of issue.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #20

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
When i shoot i use whats in my mags first, then reload them with hollow points.

Im not sure why some people feel the need to "slowly let the slide forward" when chambering a round. Does your semi-auto pistol do that when it cycles? No, it slams them in and imo if your ammo cant deal with it then its not quality ammo. I have rechambered the same round many times after cleaning or letting a friend or family member handle it and never had any kind of issue.
Quality ammo will rechamber several times with no setback, it will also show obvious setback after the 2nd or 3rd chambering. Depends on the ammo and the gun.

I don't agree with gently riding the slide forward either, but if you truly rechamber often and have never noticed setback then I would submit than you either have not been CCW for very long, don't rechamber as often as you think you do, or you simply have never checked.

In my youth I fired more than a few rounds that had setback before I was told it could create dangerous pressure levels. I never had a problem when doing this but I also ceased doing it as soon as a fellow with more grey hair than I pointed out the potential hazard.

Tack