Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Chambering same round more than once

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1747 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 2018

Default Chambering same round more than once

Here's the situation. I have a home defense handgun (XDm-9mm-Compact) which I will also use as a CCW when I get the permit. I keep it loaded and chambered with Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr rounds. Let's say I go to the range once a week to practice and clean my weapon after each session. When I go to the range (and again when I break it down for cleaning) I unload my self defense rounds including the one in the chamber. In the most extreme case, I could put the same round back in the chamber over 100 times per year. I realize that it would not be difficult to alternate the top two rounds, reducing the cycles to about 50 per year. In fact, I could rotate each round in a 19+1 magazine so each would cycle only about 5 times (kind of a pain in the a$$). I realize that I also have the option to go ahead and fire the one chambered round as the first round of practice and slowly consume my self defense ammo.

The question is: How many times can a factory loaded, self defense round be chambered before the condition of the round is compromised? I am wondering about both the plastic plug in the hollowpoint and the bullet in the casing. I'm sure there are plenty of opinions out there, does any one know of study work done on this issue?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not a fan of Hornady Critical Defense and don't use it, so as far as the plastic plug goes, your guess is as good as mine. However your question is a good one. I had carried for quite a while before I had ever considered this issue.

However, with any round that you repeatedly chamber and eject in a semi-automatic pistol, you eventually run the risk of bullet setback - where the bullet begins to be forced back into the case from being pushed against the feed ramp. This obviously can create pressure problems among other things.

There isn't a magic number that is appropriate to how many times I chamber a self defense round. I use Speer Gold Dot, and I try to rotate my rounds after a couple of chamberings. It's expensive ammo, so I'll try to rotate through my entire magazine and then just shoot them.

I'm new to the AR hunting world, and have found the same problem with the number of times I chamber and eject my 6.8 SPC ammo climbing in and out of treestands. Setback was easily noticed after a couple of chamberings in my 110 grain ProHunter cartridges.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Last edited by treehugger49; 02-18-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2741 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Okay, grab your micrometer.
Measure the length as the round comes out of the box.
Got it? Good.
Now everytime that round gets loaded, does it get shorter? On some calibers, yes.
If you stuff the bullet into the casing a little each time, you could be setting up a high pressure situation.
(This is of course if we are talking a pistol and not a revolver.)

On some ammo, it may not take affect for several rounds, on other ammo, it could happen first time.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Depends on the gun too. Some guns, the bullet hits the feed ramp harder and and at a steeper angle then others, giving the bullet a bigger push.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8588 Times on 3725 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

In addition to bullet setback, repeatedly rechambering a round can contribute to primer failure. Repeated loading shock CAN knock the lead azide out of place, giving that sickening CLICK instead of BANG- leaving you to do your impression of Marvin the Martian saying "Where is the earth shattering kaboom?"
marvin-martian.jpg

This has been noted by some folks that have to go thru clearing weapons repeatedly, that load a round from mag, when clearing, snag that round and put back into top of mag, so next time up to bat, it gets loaded again. And again and again and again, etc.

How many times is too many? Heck if I know. 5 should be reasonable. 50 is not.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

the way i load my ccw rounds is to gently ride the slide forward. my xdm colt new agent and bersa thunders all easily chamber rounds by very gently riding the slide forward.

mileage may vary.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #7

I load one directly I to the chute before putting in the clip. Then let the slide foreword. Then I put the clip in. I guess I am hoping it won't cause any problems by doing that but I always wondered the same thing.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #8

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Just fire off the chambered round. If your going to the range that much, it's obvious you can afford ammo.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #9

Liked 4672 Times on 2259 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

In my book the only way to be sure is to fire the chambered SD round on each trip to the range. Yes, this may be over kill and yes it will cost you 1 to 2 new boxes of SD ammo per year but it also ensures timely rotation of your rounds and gives you a "first round" indication of you proficiency with your carry load.

If you live in a wet humid climate like I do, "pacific NW", it also elevates any concern of moisture degradation.

Sure some will think I take this too far but I see no reason to put all the effort into CCW only to wonder about my carry load?

Tack

Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeekhof View Post
I load one directly I to the chute before putting in the clip. Then let the slide foreword. Then I put the clip in. I guess I am hoping it won't cause any problems by doing that but I always wondered the same thing.
This is not recommended by many pistol manufacturers due to the extractor being forced to "jump" over the case rim.

Also known as the "Bubba" load technique.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation