Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Chambered Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have a Ruger Blackhawk and a Vaquero that both have a transfer bar and are completely safe when fully loaded. However, the Uberti six shooters do not have a transfer bar and I wouldn't carry one with a round in the chamber. So I don't think ALL modern revolvers have a transfer bar...

Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #12

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

My bad. I do not own and have never shot a SA revolver. When someone mentions revolver, I automatically assume a modern DA revolver. My statement does apply to all modern DA revolvers from mainstream manufacturers...

Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #13

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Yep, my Ruger Elsie Ahrrrr even has a audible safety check.

Just shake it and you can hear the transfer bar rattle!

Me thinks its not a design function??

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
I have a Ruger Blackhawk and a Vaquero that both have a transfer bar and are completely safe when fully loaded. However, the Uberti six shooters do not have a transfer bar and I wouldn't carry one with a round in the chamber. So I don't think ALL modern revolvers have a transfer bar...
RIGHT, Not all gun makers use a transfer bar but they DO utilize some sort of SAFETY. Uberti uses FIRST NOTCH SAFETY... and it is just as safe as a transfer bar.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Your friend is misinformed if he is speaking of a double action revolver such as a Smith, Colt, Ruger, Dan Wesson, etc. Either transfer bar, or an equivalent safety system. To fire my model 36 that resides on my weak side, the trigger needs to be all the way back for the hammer to fall, and the FP strike a primer. It would be possible to clamp it in a vise, take a 3 lb engineer's hammer, and pound the hammer until it shatters, and THEN it might fire, when the broken hammer was driven forward. But I always unload my Chief's Special before attacking it with a hammer.

iver.jpg

This ad is from 1905. Yep- 105 years ago. Think this has been around a while. An original Colt Single Action, the Old style Ruger Single action- YES- there is an exposure. However, some folks believe that applies to ANY revolver. (They also believe politician promises, but let's not go there....."

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:51 AM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Your friend is misinformed if he is speaking of a double action revolver such as a Smith, Colt, Ruger, Dan Wesson, etc. Either transfer bar, or an equivalent safety system. To fire my model 36 that resides on my weak side, the trigger needs to be all the way back for the hammer to fall, and the FP strike a primer. It would be possible to clamp it in a vise, take a 3 lb engineer's hammer, and pound the hammer until it shatters, and THEN it might fire, when the broken hammer was driven forward. But I always unload my Chief's Special before attacking it with a hammer.

Attachment 12462

This ad is from 1905. Yep- 105 years ago. Think this has been around a while. An original Colt Single Action, the Old style Ruger Single action- YES- there is an exposure. However, some folks believe that applies to ANY revolver. (They also believe politician promises, but let's not go there....."
WHAT? Politicians LIE??? What is this world coming to...

Old 03-25-2010, 03:30 AM   #17

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

dont want to go off in your holster.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2551 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

If you want to prove it to someone do this;
Take an unloaded revolver, cock the hammer and point it to the sky. Drop a pencil down the barrel, eraser first. Squeeze the trigger in the normal fashion. The pencil will be shot up by the firing pin strike. Remove pencil and recock. Insert the pencil and tap the trigger with your finger like a nun would hit you on the head in school. The trigger will release the hammer but spring forward faster than the hamer and the firing pin will not hit the pencil.

Smith & Wesson revolvers have two internal safeties that prevent the hammer from striking the primer unless the trigger is pulled. One is the steel to steel engagement between the hammer and the rebound slide. The second is the hammer block that attaches to the rebound and slips up to block the hammer unless the trigger is held to the rear.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 04-08-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #19

Liked 483 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 1619

This thread is now officially dead.

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.etsy.com/shop/customkicksbycasey

Old 04-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #20

Liked 1633 Times on 923 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

I remember some years back there was a big advertisig campaign promoting emply chambers in both autos and revolvers. I would say it was at least 15 years ago because I fell for it. That would not happen today. It was quite widespread. I remember seeing a full page ad in a magazine like Guns and Ammo or something like that. As I remember, it was probably quite misleading. I bet it was from some anti gun group.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.